Game editor manual

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 - Moderators

Stechkin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Game editor manual

Post by Stechkin »

The editor instructions in the manual are a bit "verstümmelte". Is there a better manual somewhere? I have questions like what is the format of the equipment graphics and how can I add unit types and change their colouring? Instructions on scripting would be nice too. I was thinking of creating a scenario like Finland-Germany-Russia Länderkampf june 44 on the Karelian peninsula.
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Re: Game editor manual

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello Stechkin,

we are currently working on v1.04 which will contain a new editor for the scripting, examples for what can be done with a campaign and scenarios as well as a manual for scripting in a texteditor.
There is no way you can edit the units at the moment.
There is a user generated map in the Matrix forum that deals with the Soviet invasion of the Petsamo-Kirkenes Region:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3402434

Maybe its interesting for you, too.

Regards,
Stechkin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Stechkin »

Hello Ronald,
I'm back again. I downloaded GaW 1.04. It looked like a successful load. I, however, cannot find the new script editor or the units listed in the release announcement. I was not able to load a game scenario to see how it is built. I suggest that the release number be shown in the manual and on the game menu page. I also bumped into a funny thing with the AA-campaign. I was able to recruit units, but could not deploy them. They seemed to vanish in thin air. Maybe something went wrong with the patch install. What do you suggest?

Cheers
Stechkin
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello Stechkin,
Stechkin wrote:Hello Ronald,
I'm back again. I downloaded GaW 1.04. It looked like a successful load. I, however, cannot find the new script editor or the units listed in the release announcement. I was not able to load a game scenario to see how it is built. I suggest that the release number be shown in the manual and on the game menu page. I also bumped into a funny thing with the AA-campaign. I was able to recruit units, but could not deploy them. They seemed to vanish in thin air. Maybe something went wrong with the patch install. What do you suggest?

Cheers
Stechkin
welcome back :-)

You should find the editor in the same directory as your game in a folder surprisingly called "Editor" and within this folder should be another called "Docs" which contains a XML documentation, the complete AGN campagin & single maps to toy around with as well as a campaign that shows how to make your own campaign from the scratch.

You can not load save games into the scenario, only .scn or .cmp files. All delivered maps should work fine, if not please let me know which one because then its likely a bug.

Same goes for the situation you came across in the A-A campaign: please provide a save game if you can reproduce the error, or give us the map name so we can see if we can spot something.

Regards,
Stechkin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Stechkin »

Thanks,
I'll get back to you.
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hello Stechin,
Stechkin wrote:Thanks,
I'll get back to you.
you are welcome. Yes please do, we loathe bugs in our games, so if it turns out to be one, we are glad about any information.

Regards,
Stechkin
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Stechkin »

Hi Ronald,
I have either completely misunderstood the editor concept or the package does not work properly. I did something very simple and put two axis units, regular 39 and Finnish Jäger and one Russian NKVD unit on an empty map with starting date 1.9.1940. I saved the game and started it. Surprisingly the NKVD unit had been marked as axis unit!? When hitting the end turn, the game did nothing besides weather changes. I tried to attach the scn, but this system says "extension xml is not allowed".

I have also found several other strange things. Did you get my previous e-mail? In my opinion they indicate that the editor is pretty useless. This in turn prevents people from making and distributing their own scenarios, which makes GaW fairly short lived. How about producing a step-by-step scenario cookbook?

Cheers
Stechkin
RonaldWendt
Phobetor
Phobetor

Post by RonaldWendt »

Hi Stechkin,
Stechkin wrote: I have either completely misunderstood the editor concept or the package does not work properly. I did something very simple and put two axis units, regular 39 and Finnish Jäger and one Russian NKVD unit on an empty map with starting date 1.9.1940. I saved the game and started it. Surprisingly the NKVD unit had been marked as axis unit!? When hitting the end turn, the game did nothing besides weather changes.
this sounds like you placed the units while you were editing the German side of your map. Note that any side can have any unit if you wish in a campaign/scenario. This mean you could equip the Soviets with e.g. Tigers.
The freedom comes with a price, you have to watch your steps.
Stechkin wrote: I tried to attach the scn, but this system says "extension xml is not allowed".
with "attach" you mean what exactly ?
Stechkin wrote: I have also found several other strange things. Did you get my previous e-mail? In my opinion they indicate that the editor is pretty useless. This in turn prevents people from making and distributing their own scenarios, which makes GaW fairly short lived. How about producing a step-by-step scenario cookbook?
sadly i did not receive an email from you lately. But you are welcome to discuss these matters here anyway. The way others might learn about it, too.

There comes a whole campaign as a design tutorial with 1.04 that has a lot of examples in it.

There a many cases a designer could use (events, links in the campaign etc.) with small descriptions.
We recommend to study it.

In general you could say that you first design the map (terrain, units, cities and the like) and afterwards you use the script editor to add events and victory conditions.

Regards,

Return to “Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 : Tech Support”