Field of Glory II - The Divisional Championships (TDC)-Rules

Moderators: kronenblatt, ericdoman1, Geffalrus, carpenkm, harveylh, Karvon, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Field of Glory II - The Divisional Championships (TDC)-Rules

Post by ericdoman1 »

Field of Glory II – The Divisional Championships V (TDC V)

Greetings fellow players,

The fifth season will run from 7th of Jan. to 31st of Mar.
Final date for entries is 2nd of Jan.[

We expect all players to know and understand the rules and to accept them.

During the competition, please contact your opponent and the person running the period if you are going to be delayed. Failure to do so could lead to the game being claimed by your opponent and for you to be replaced by a reserve.

1. The Periods

All dlcs, armies and allies can be used as long as they fit into the time periods. It has also been brought to our attention, that if a player does not have the dlc(s) but his opponent has and his opponent issues challenges he can then use any dlc. Thanks Wang(wzfcns).

The tournament will be made up of 6 distinct periods rather than DLCs. The player who is running the period is next to it. The Periods are:

Bronze and Iron Age 2500 BC to 682 BC - wzfcns
Classical 681 BC – 25 BC - Kroche
Imperial and Early Dark Ages 24 BC – 599 AD - angusosborne
Dark Ages 600 AD – 1000 AD – carpenkm
Early Medieval 1028 AD – 1319 AD - Karvon
Later Medieval, 1320 AD – 1500 AD - harveylh
Data Management - Triarii

Each Period is further subdivided into “A,” “B,” “C” Divisions etc. depending upon the number of players within said tournament. Up to 10 players will participate in each division.

Players are placed into the relevant divisions based on their current TDC ELO ratings. If a player has played in a period before, they will be placed based on their Period ELO. If they have played in other sections, but are new to one, they will be placed based on their Universal ELO. Players new to TDC will normally be started at a beginning ELO level of 1000. They may be assigned a higher ELO if data is available on their participation in HOML and/or recent official Slitherene tournaments.

2. Entering and choosing an Army for your Period

To enter all you need to do is simply post “I wish to enter” or similar in the relevant period. You must also include your choice of 3 armies and allies in the same post by the 2nd of January. Remember you can edit your posts.

Only one specific army list can be chosen for each division. For example, only one Roman 105-25 BC can be chosen, however another player can choose Roman 199-106 BC[/size]

Players will be awarded their choice based upon their ranking. Lower ranked players will receive their 1st choice while the highest ranked players will often receive only their 2nd or 3rd choice. There may be occasions when a 4th selection is required. In the case of players having an equal ELO, their ranking and army picks will be based on the date their final picks were submitted; first come, first served.

In submitting your three picks for a period, each pick must be unique; you can not pick the same list more than once, though you may submit variants. If you are playing in different periods, you may not submit the same list for more than one, though you may submit variants.

Players cannot use the same army list, variant army or same allies in the same period the following season. Nor can they use the same army list in a different period the following season. However they can use a "variant" army or allies in a different period the following season.

Variant (Armies) – All armies that have the same “first” name, for example Roman, Carthaginian, Byzantine and so on.

For example, if playing in Classical, you could opt for:

1 Roman 280-220 BC
2 Roman 219-200 BC
3 Thracian (Triballi) 700-351 BC

Two of them are Romans, but they different lists; they are variants.

Now if you were also playing in Bronze Age, you wouldn't be able to select those Thracians as a pick for that period as it is one of your choices for Classical.

If you have any doubts, then please contact the person who is looking after that specific period.

3. Taking part

All players are welcome.

We prefer new players enter a maximum of 2 periods, in their first season. Once they have proven to us, they can complete all games on time, they have the option of playing more periods the next season.

Benjamin Franklin once said, “Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” That is when you have the spare time to play more turns go for it.

Players who have been unable to complete the majority of their divisional games will be restricted to 2 periods, the next season.

In terms of recruitment, there will be a normal maximum of 30 places per period, that is, 3 divisions of ten.

Players may still sign up as reserves for a period to cover a no-show or drop out. All players must get their first match underway within 14 days of the opening of the tournament. If some players have not done so and have not contacted us, they will be replaced by a reserve.

Coordinators may opt to open a 4th division in a period if at least 5 signed up as reserves. In such cases, divisions will drop to 9, with the balance in the 4th division. As more players sign up, the divisions will be equally incremented to 10, starting with division 1. For example, with 35 signed up, Div 1-3 would have 9 players and Div 4 8. The first additional player would go to Div 4 to bring that up to 9. Subsequent players would shift the totals starting with Div 1. Assignment to divisions will still be by ELO, so players will shift up or down in the list as players join and may, as a result, shift into a lower division.

If you have any private comments to make, please contact the person running the period via a pm.

Do not overcommit yourself; it's better to play fewer periods and enjoy yourself, than sign up for five and find yourself seriously stressed.

4. Scoring

Only post the score in the top left of the screen. As we input data into a spreadsheet template that calculates the actual score

An outright victory. That is you have routed the opposing force. The difference between the scores + 60 points

For example: 60:47 = 73:47; 40:15 = 85:15; 40:0 = 100:0

If no army has been routed or both have inflicted 60%+ casualties this would be classed as a Draw The recorded score will then be used

For example: 66:65 = 66:65; 43:27 = 43:27; 37:0 = 37:0

Also see 6.

a) Division Ranking

Players are ranked in the table based on best aggregate score. Rankings are further sorted in the following order:

1. The most wins
2. The fewest losses
3. Who has won the head to head match
4. ELO

5. Arranging challenges

There will be separate topics for each period to arrange challenges. The first post will contain a list of players and their chosen armies for your games. Either player can issue challenges, within the relevant period’s arrange matches topic and by private messages.

Game Settings

For the Classical and Imperial periods. Open, Potluck, 24 turns, 40W x 32H maps and 1600 points.

For the Bronze and Iron Age and Dark Ages periods, Open, Potluck, 24 turns, 36W x 32H maps and 1400 points.

For both Medieval periods, open, potluck, 24 turns, 32W x 32H maps and 1200 points.

Rerolls

Either player may unilaterally require a reroll after viewing the map in the initial deployment phase. Each player is allowed one such reroll. If each player has used their permitted reroll then both players may mutually agree to a third and final reroll. The player requiring the reroll should surrender the match. The player requiring the reroll should repost the challenge making sure to set the parameters correctly in regards to lists, points and map size. No rerolls are allowed after the first turn is played.

Restart

Players may mutually agree to abandon a game and restart until the 3rd turn for whatever reasons they might have. From the 4th turn, games must be played to conclusion. No rerolls are allowed in restarted games; you must play on whatever map is rolled.

If the challenge has been incorrectly set-up, then the player who did not set-up the game will have the choice to restart but only by Turn 3. A game that has reached Turn 4 will become fixed and must be played to conclusion.

To make it easier for players to know they have received a challenge. Go to notifications, top right. Click on it, then click on settings and tick all or those that are most appropriate

6. Reporting Games

The player who has won the game, posts the result on the appropriate thread (e.g., Classical Battle Results). Results posted should be reported in the following format:

Example
Classical Period
Division C
David 40 vs 15 Eric

Please do not include the final score, as we input data into tables which calculates the final score.

7. Absent Players & Neglected Turns

If player A is unable to play due to a variety of circumstances, can you please contact the person running the period and your opponent. If Player A has not moved at all for 1 week plus and has not contacted his opponent and the organiser, player B needs to contact player A and the organiser. This will allow the organiser to contact player A and to confirm if the game can be claimed as allowed on the multiplayer system.

IF PLAYER A HAS NOT ACCEPTED A CHALLENGE AFTER 2 WEEKS AND THE PERSON RUNNING THE PERIOD AND THEIR OPPONENT (PLAYER B) HAVE NOT BEEN CONTACTED, PLAYER B NEEDS TO CONTACT PLAYER A AND THE ORGANISER. THIS WILL ALLOW THE ORGANISER TO CONTACT PLAYER A AND TO DETERMINE IF PLAYER B CAN CLAIM THAT GAME AS A 40 - 15 OUTRIGHT VICTORY

8. Adjudicating

To help us with adjudications, please take screenshots of the map and positions of troops, the score and the number of turns played. Also, all necessary screenshots for 7. Absent Players & Neglected Turns. These will then be emailed to us.

Additionally, Steve (Pantherboy) has given us permission to use his "Forfeits" system

a) If the delay is due to both players than their current scores will be used for tournament points.

e.g. It is currently 5% to 12% then the players will score 5 and 12pts respectively as per a draw.

b) One player is forfeiting and their break percentage is under 40 then their break point level will be advanced to 40% and as long as the difference is 25 or greater than points will be calculated.

e.g. The forfeiting player is at 21% while their opponent is at 10% then the forfeiting player will increase to 40% giving a 90pt victory to their opponent while earning 10pts themselves.

c) One player is forfeiting but raising their break % to 40 won't result in their army breaking or they are already in excess of 40% than a % will be added to the forfeiting player's score to enable their opponent to have an outright victory.

e.g. The forfeiting player is at 34% while their opponent is at 28% so 19% is added to the forfeiting players 34% to reach 53% for the forfeit thus awarding 85pts to the winner and 28pts to the loser.

d) One player is forfeiting due to not wishing to play against his opponent for a number of reasons. The forfeiting player will lose the game 40% - 15%.

The loss of a match due to forfeit will only affect your points earned during a tournament. Your matches played-won-drawn-loss will only be updated once you actually have completed the match and that result will be used for ELO adjustments. ELO is only concerned with wins-draws-losses while the tournament only cares about points so please enjoy your matches and play them to conclusion even if the round has ended.

9. Keeping Track of Games

It is advised that each player maintain a personal record of their completed matches. In this way you will know who you still have to play and have records of all the completed games in the advent of a mix up at our end.

We the moderators will also be doing this. We will be checking games issued, started and completed as well as players who are behind with games completed.

10. Player Behaviour

We have a great deal of respect for the FOG II community based on how well we have behaved. For ease of management if you wish to leave the league, or will not have time to finish your matches, then please notify us. The purpose is to allow us to either delete you from the League (if games have not been played), replace you with a reserve player or issue forfeits on your behalf.

If there has been no response from a player after 2 weeks, he will be replaced.

You will always be welcome back, though limited to 2 periods as per section 3.

All the best

wzfcns, Kroche, angusosborne, carpenkm, Karvon, harveylh and Triarii
Last edited by ericdoman1 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
rafydedel
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Field of Glory II - The Divisional Championships (TDC)-Rules

Post by rafydedel »

Sorry, one quick question about army list:

All armies and allies can be used as long as they fit into the time periods.

What does it mean exactly?
1) The army list must have a time period which finishes before the upper bound of the reference period?
or 2) The army list must have an initial time period that starts before the upper bound of the reference period?

Is it the same for allies?

Thanks

"Hé bien, c'est moi Ramsès II !"
Kroche
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Kroche »

rafydedel wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:06 am Sorry, one quick question about army list:

All armies and allies can be used as long as they fit into the time periods.

What does it mean exactly?
1) The army list must have a time period which finishes before the upper bound of the reference period?
or 2) The army list must have an initial time period that starts before the upper bound of the reference period?

Is it the same for allies?

Thanks
Hi

2) The army list must have an initial time period that starts on or before the upper bound.

Same for allies so a main army list dated 1200-1550AD could enter either Early (1028-1319AD) or Late (1320-1500AD) Medieval. If that army list had allies dated 1200-1250AD then the allies could only be brought to Early Medieval.

Note that the same player cannot bring the same list to more than 1 time period.
xxCLASHxx
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by xxCLASHxx »

4. Scoring

Only post the score in the top left of the screen. As we input data into a spreadsheet template that calculates the actual score.

Quick question regarding the rule above please - this is my first tournament - what is the top left of the screen, are we talking about the result as the game finishes?

Also sorry for showing my inexperience but when I try to set my first game up I select my side no problem but when I go the select the enemy side I cannot find his army - Samnite, my army is Indian 500bc to 25bc but I cannot see and select Samnite unless I select it first but then I cant see Indian 500bc?

Thanks you
Last edited by xxCLASHxx on Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneralKostas
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by GeneralKostas »

xxCLASHxx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:04 pm 4. Scoring

Only post the score in the top left of the screen. As we input data into a spreadsheet template that calculates the actual score.

Quick question regarding the rule above please - this is my first tournament - what is the top left of the screen, are we talking about the result as the game finishes?

Thanks you
Yes. The score in the left corner screen is the score of the game and that is calculated for the tournament. Not the score in the table after you exit the battlefield.
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

xxCLASHxx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:04 pm 4. Scoring

Also sorry for showing my inexperience but when I try to set my first game up I select my side no problem but when I go the select the enemy side I cannot find his army - Samnite, my army is Indian 500bc to 25bc but I cannot see and select Samnite unless I select it first but then I cant see Indian 500bc?

Thanks you
Hi

Thanks GeneralKostas

Play around with date, a to z and geographical. All armies will be visible then so you can choose Samnite. If you have any other questions do not hesitate to post them.
principesromanes
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by principesromanes »

Not strictly a rules question, but a curtesy question:
Is it best practice to message people before posting a challenge to check that they are ready to play now as opposed to later?
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

principesromanes wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:01 pm Not strictly a rules question, but a curtesy question:
Is it best practice to message people before posting a challenge to check that they are ready to play now as opposed to later?
The way most tournaments work is to post a challenge and send a private message to issue challenge, as a back up.

I try and stick to playing 2 or 3 games per period, at once. When I have finished one, I issue a challenge to a player in the same period/division
tyronec
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by tyronec »

I would say no as it would add more PMs to respond to. Players can delay picking up a challenge if they are not ready, though if you are delaying picking up a challenge a PM would be helpful.
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Kroche wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:30 pm
rockmanbob123 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:40 pm Reroll a starting map? How is that done?
You have to set up a new multiplayer match. The original match is abandoned.
Thanks Keiron

The player who does not wish to use the map, concedes defeat (I do a quick autofill and autodeploy, adding a general if needed) and either he issues a new challenge, classed as a reroll or his opponent issues the challenge.

Hope this helps.
grahamed
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by grahamed »

Hi was looking through this thread and i noticed the bit about having or not having the dlc's. Am I right that ONLY the player starting the match needs the dlc, the other player just needs the basic game?
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Karvon »

grahamed wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:53 pm Hi was looking through this thread and i noticed the bit about having or not having the dlc's. Am I right that ONLY the player starting the match needs the dlc, the other player just needs the basic game?
Correct. If you have a DLC, you can set up a match which anyone else can join, whether they have the DLC or not. Thus, you can allow up to one player without DLCs from joining a particular division.

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by ianiow »

Where is the info on map sizes and army points for each period?
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Karvon »

ianiow wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:49 pm Where is the info on map sizes and army points for each period?
For the Classical and Imperial, Early Dark Ages periods. Open, Potluck, 24 turns, 40W x 32H maps and 1600 points.
For the Bronze and Iron Age and Dark Ages periods, Open, Potluck, 24 turns, 36W x 32H maps and 1400 points.
For Eastern and Western Medieval, open, potluck, 24 turns, 32W x 32H maps and 1200 points.
DIVM
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DIVM »

Hi, questions:
A) Normally, how long does the divisional championship last?
B) How many games per division must be played? If each period has 3 divisions, and each one has 10 people, that means a player in each division should play with all respective playes in that division? That means play once with each player?

Cheers,

David
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Karvon »

DIVM wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:32 am Hi, questions:
A) Normally, how long does the divisional championship last?
B) How many games per division must be played? If each period has 3 divisions, and each one has 10 people, that means a player in each division should play with all respective playes in that division? That means play once with each player?

Cheers,

David
A) The season lasts 12 weeks; games may start on Jan 7 and all must be finished by Mar. 31.

B) Usually, a division is made up of 10 players though sometimes they may be slightly smaller if we have less sign ups for a period. You play each person in your division once, for a total of 9 games. Some players post all their challenges initially, and then play games as opponents pick them up. Others post 2-3 at a time and post more as they finish those up.

Regards,

Karvon
DIVM
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DIVM »

Karvon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:49 am
A) The season lasts 12 weeks; games may start on Jan 7 and all must be finished by Mar. 31.

B) Usually, a division is made up of 10 players though sometimes they may be slightly smaller if we have less sign ups for a period. You play each person in your division once, for a total of 9 games. Some players post all their challenges initially, and then play games as opponents pick them up. Others post 2-3 at a time and post more as they finish those up.
Thanks, I assume that you play just once with each player (in a mirror match), meaning that if you accept his challenge, you don't need to create later a challenge against him ?

David
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Karvon »

DIVM wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:43 am
Karvon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:49 am

Thanks, I assume that you play just once with each player (in a mirror match), meaning that if you accept his challenge, you don't need to create later a challenge against him ?

David
These are NOT mirror matches; you play each player just once in a standard match.

Regards,

Karvon
Jorgito78
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Jorgito78 »

So, just to sum up the mechanics.
Say, for example, my match with opponent 1.
1) Who of us issues the challenge?
2) How does the map reroll work? I assume that the one issuing the challenge must choose "pot luck" on the map and only then , after the challenge is accepted, can both players agree if they will reroll the map or not, no? Or can the person issuing the challenge choose a specific map?
3) Taking as example my army list (if I get it) Romans + Bythinians. I must use allies in all 9 games or can I choose to use them or not? (ex: against opponent 1 I will play with allies but against opp 2 I will not).

Sorry for those questions but I prefer to know in advance than to mess it up when the tournament starts.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Karvon »

Jorgito78 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:29 am So, just to sum up the mechanics.
Say, for example, my match with opponent 1.
1) Who of us issues the challenge?
2) How does the map reroll work? I assume that the one issuing the challenge must choose "pot luck" on the map and only then , after the challenge is accepted, can both players agree if they will reroll the map or not, no? Or can the person issuing the challenge choose a specific map?
3) Taking as example my army list (if I get it) Romans + Bythinians. I must use allies in all 9 games or can I choose to use them or not? (ex: against opponent 1 I will play with allies but against opp 2 I will not).

Sorry for those questions but I prefer to know in advance than to mess it up when the tournament starts.
1. A player is free to issue challenges to any opponent in any order; some issue all of their challenges on day 1. Thus, either player could issue the challenge in a match.

2. After the game is set up, either player may unilaterally require a reroll. This can happen twice in a match. A third reroll can be done by mutual agreement.

3. If you opt for an ally, you are required to use them in all matches.

Regards,

Karvon

Return to “Field of Glory II: The Divisional Championships”