1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

War of the Roses Round Two Towton and St Albans 2

Post by ahuyton »

Round Two - Hotting up in the snows of Towton

In this round, again two games against your opponent as follows:

FoGM scenario - Towton
PS scenario - Second St Albans

The BEST performing player on the losing team will desert to the other team in Round Three, and will select the player from that team that he replaces.

The teams now are as follows:

Lancastrians

Doyley50
PeterthePainter
Warrior230

Yorkists

Kiwiwarlord
Gdod
Lascar

Match-ups

Doyley50 (L) v Gdod (Y)
Peterthepainter (L) v Kiwiwarlord (Y)
Warrior230 (L) v Lascar (Y) - Battle of the Defectors

Lancastrians please launch the games.

Let's try to wrap things up by mid-September, please. As usual, let me know in case of any difficulties or issues and I will try to help.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: War of the Roses Round Two Towton and St Albans 2

Post by Doyley50 »

Both my battles posted,pwd 1234. Purveyors of Yorkshire puddings in the markets of Preston and Garstang have been set in the stocks and their produce fed to the pigs!
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Both games posted for lascar..... PW: defector
I've decided that red is a far more vibrant colour, and therefore a far more worthy cause!! To Battle!! ⚔
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Alan there is a nasty fault within the scenario that makes it rather difficult to defend St Albans.
Not having played the Yorkists before I had no idea that there was a problem.

I placed my two units that start deployed in the Town into the Heavy Fortifications thinking that they would be able to hold up the Lancastrians for several moves as Heavy Fortifications page 49 " give Protection, 75% cover, +200 POA bonus in Close Combat, count as Difficult Terrain for troops assaulting across the Fortifications ".
The Lancastrians advanced,shot the Yorkist to Disrupted on arrival, then charged next move routing both.
One Yorkist was Flank Charged !!! totally against what "Obstacle Effects" page 48 states.

The pics show the Flank Attack and the Lancastrian unit in the Fortress after following up.

Not sure what you can do as FoGM does not have the Second St Albans.
Maybe dump it ?
2nd StAlbans.png
2nd StAlbans.png (293.71 KiB) Viewed 622 times
2nd StAlbans 2.png
2nd StAlbans 2.png (163.35 KiB) Viewed 622 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Gdod (Yorkist) 51% defeats Ahuyton (Lanky Lads) 60%
Gwain of Goodly Manor.jpg
Gwain of Goodly Manor.jpg (25.87 KiB) Viewed 614 times
It was a slug-fest with both sides alternatively destroying unit after unit until good ole Norfolk arrived, Although, they didn't contribute to any actual fighting, their arrival skewed the results so much so that suddenly Alan was on 60% (It was interesting to note that the Yorkists would have lost two units in the next move to possibly push them over 60% to nip the Yorkist threat on the bud...no consolation to Alan)

As both Yorkist and Lanky Lads cried havoc and let slip the corgi's of war, Alan was later heard to cry above the clamour ...a pox on Norfolk
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

GDod wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:23 am Gdod (Yorkist) 51% defeats Ahuyton (Lanky Lads) 60%
What's going on here ? You were meant to be playing Doyly50 ?
Match-ups

Doyley50 (L) v Gdod (Y)
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:36 am
GDod wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:23 am Gdod (Yorkist) 51% defeats Ahuyton (Lanky Lads) 60%
Match-ups

Doyley50 (L) v Gdod (Y)
Aye,it were me that were beat. It was a hard fought battle and I expect that the Yorkists made a mistake as they were tired and confused after their victory. Good game thanks Gavin.
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

FOGM result !!
A resounding Lancastrian victory at Towton, defeating Lascars Yorkists 49%-24%

The Snows of Towton turned red with the blood of the Yorkist rabble, and is now firmly under the control of the red Lancastrian rose, following a viscous engagement in which we surged forward and plowed into the Yorkist line, giving them little time to re-organise and make use of their shooting advantage. Weight of numbers paid off in the end, and the Yorkist army broke before any re-enforcements arrived, putting pay to the white Yorkist claim!!

Thank you for the game lascar.... it really was much tougher than the report would have us believe. It was in the balance for a while. Great fun and well played!
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Match-ups

Doyley50 (L) v Gdod (Y)
Indeed! I think Alan (Doyley version) has mixed up Gavin and myself.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

I am sorry to hear about the problems with St Albans. What do others think? I am happy to cancel it, but if you wish to carry on then please do so and report in.

I will have a look at the overall results before deciding on the final teams for Bosworth.
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

ahuyton wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:15 pm
Match-ups

Doyley50 (L) v Gdod (Y)
Indeed! I think Alan (Doyley version) has mixed up Gavin and myself.
I rather think it is Gavin that has mixed up the two Alans....
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Sorry! Gavin indeed...
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

It was a slug-fest with both sides alternatively destroying unit after unit until good ole Norfolk arrived, Although, they didn't contribute to any actual fighting, their arrival skewed the results so much so that suddenly Alan was on 60% (It was interesting to note that the Yorkists would have lost two units in the next move to possibly push them over 60% to nip the Yorkist threat on the bud...no consolation to Alan)

As both Yorkist and Lanky Lads cried havoc and let slip the corgi's of war, Alan was later heard to cry above the clamour ...a pox on Norfolk
Oops, apologises....my game was with Doyley50 (I did indeed mix up my Alans. Clearly, I shouldn't update late at night!))
It should of course read, Gdod (Yorkist) 51% defeats Doyley50 (Lanky Lads) 60%
Doyley50

Post by Doyley50 »

Doyley50 (Lancastrians) defeats GDod (Yorkists) 15-42 2nd St Albans
Although I would like to claim superior generalship won this battle I feel that this scenario favours the Lancastrians and that for the Yorkists to prevail would require a fair bit of luck and a following wind.
lascar
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by lascar »

ahuyton wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:17 pm I am sorry to hear about the problems with St Albans. What do others think? I am happy to cancel it, but if you wish to carry on then please do so and report in.

I will have a look at the overall results before deciding on the final teams for Bosworth.
Alan,

Stockwell Pete has a FoG2 version of 2nd Saint Albans. I downloaded it, take a look and see if it is a suitable replacement.
If not he has also created several other War of the Roses scenarios for FoGM that may be used instead.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

lascar wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:18 pm
ahuyton wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:17 pm I am sorry to hear about the problems with St Albans. What do others think? I am happy to cancel it, but if you wish to carry on then please do so and report in.

Alan,

Stockwell Pete has a FoG2 version of 2nd Saint Albans. I downloaded it, take a look and see if it is a suitable replacement.
If not he has also created several other War of the Roses scenarios for FoGM that may be used instead.
I don't have a problem with awarding the lanky lads a win...Alan. After all they did win it historically with their wide flanking maneuver, which did happen in our P&S version.
PeterThePainter
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by PeterThePainter »

There does seem to be a problem with the Heavy Fortifications in St. Albans (ie they do nothing). Brian has a third unit of archers in the town and they are benefiting from being in an enclosure which provides the protection you would expect(see attachment).
We have put the P & S game on hold at the moment and are exploring the FOGM version of the game brought to Brian's attention by lascar. This is very different, beginning after the Lancastrians have cleared St. Albans, so you don't get the sense of the of the flanking manoeuvre. Of course if this goes badly for the Lancastrians I want my 10% advantage carried across (only kidding Brian!)
Can we have the Arbiter's permission to use the FOGM version of the battle as our game?
Peter
Attachments
St Albans.jpg
St Albans.jpg (493.11 KiB) Viewed 595 times
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Peter asks: "Can we have the Arbiter's permission to use the FOGM version of the battle as our game?"

I would reply, you don't need my permission! Feel free to do whatever makes most sense to you. It's all fine for me if you are both in agreement.

I wonder if the fortifications are deliberately designed like this? As I recall, the Yorkists built elaborate defensive works at St Albans, with gun emplacements, only to find that the sneaky Lancastrians marched around them, thus rendering the fortifications useless.

That said, I look forward to hearing your report on the FoG-M version
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Alan,

I would be happy to re start using Stockwell Pete's version if you would prefer Lascar... ? I don't mind either way.
lascar

Post by lascar »

warrior230 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am

Alan,

I would be happy to re start using Stockwell Pete's version if you would prefer Lascar... ? I don't mind either way.
Sure, set it up, it is a more balanced version of the battle than the P&S version.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”