Why so expensive.

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Obadiah333
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Why so expensive.

Post by Obadiah333 »

I love panzer corps. I have easily logged 10k hours on this game. I have the gold edition on my pc. However, I recently bought an iPad and wanted to buy the game for it also. But insanely, it is $80!!!! I can buy gold edition for the pc on GoG for $6! Why is the iPad version $80!!!! I can get pzc2 and expansions cheaper! It makes absolutely no sense. Needless to say, I won’t be paying $80 for the iPad version. I just want to know why it’s so expensive. Thanks.
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Why so expensive.

Post by rubyjuno »

Obadiah333 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 pm I recently bought an iPad and wanted to buy the game for it also. But insanely, it is $80!!!!
I bought the iPad version years ago and used it on an old iPad (an iPad 2 mini, I think). It worked mostly okay then, but comments I've read in this forum over the years suggest that it's not really been supported and is possibly going to be dropped from the Apple store. Not even sure if it works on newer iPads?
Obadiah333
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Obadiah333 »

Bummer: one of the reasons I got an iPad was to play pzc on it.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Obadiah333 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:35 pm Bummer: one of the reasons I got an iPad was to play pzc on it.
It does still work on iPad- I've played it on my M1 iPad Pro. However, it does not support iPad screen sizes bigger than 10" (you see the same thing on 13" it just gets really big). There is always the risk of it getting dropped from the App Store for lack of updates. And of course it definitely doesn't support newer iPad features like keyboard shortcuts.

Overall though, the game really shines on the iPad and is worth the money. If they would spend even a few days touching it up, it could also shine on Apple Silicon Macs. However Slitherine has a super negative attitude towards Apple and Apple users, so this is not going to happen.
Obadiah333
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Obadiah333 »

Yeah, the price tag pretty much shows their contempt for Apple. Oh well. I’ll just find a different game to play.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

People who can afford Mac hardware can afford more expensive games ?

PS: professionally I am forced to work on Mac because of the professional software available only on Mac and I have seen the exaggerated price of Mac hardware compared to PC hardware !
Me and other colleagues worked on Mac but we play on PC !
Obadiah333
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Obadiah333 »

Wondering if a dev can give me an answer as to why pc is so cheap for gold edition and Mac is $80?
proline

Post by proline »

terminator wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:01 pm People who can afford Mac hardware can afford more expensive games ?
Absolutely. Mac users want to pay more for higher quality. In the case of PzC, there is no Mac offering and the iPad version is abandonware, so that doesn't really apply.
terminator wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:01 pmPS: professionally I am forced to work on Mac because of the professional software available only on Mac and I have seen the exaggerated price of Mac hardware compared to PC hardware !
There's no way to make a comparison like that because there simply is no PC equivalent to an M2. Any PC that remotely approaches it in performance would have ¼ the battery life while any PC that approaches it in battery life would be easily trounced on performance. If you don't mind being plugged in with all fans running at max, then I suppose the PC world has cheaper solutions for you.
Obadiah333
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Obadiah333 »

Obadiah333 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:07 am Wondering if a dev can give me an answer as to why pc is so cheap for gold edition and Mac is $80?
Bump
Obadiah333
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Obadiah333 »

Obadiah333 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:48 pm
Obadiah333 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:07 am Wondering if a dev can give me an answer as to why pc is so cheap for gold edition and Mac is $80?
Bump
It’s not a rant guys. Seriously no response?
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

From comments I've read over the years regarding the Apple platform versions, it appears that it might have been an afterthought in an attempt to make money? I guess not many Apple users bothered with it, so it wasn't worth the dev's while to support it, so they abandoned it but left it there at full price in case anyone bought it. I'm not a dev, or anything to do with it, but that's just my impression from reading comments over the years.

Ironically, I bought the original Panzer Corps games and all the expansions, the iPad version, and also Panzer Corps Gold when it came out (for ease of reinstalling), so I've spent a lot more than $80 (or £80) on it, but I still consider it fantastic value for money for the hours of entertainment it has given me. But I do understand your annoyance at the disparity in price.
owlyowl
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by owlyowl »

Same Here. I bought PC 1 and PC 2 for PC with all DLC. Now I bought the iPad Version for 22 $ and it's just the basic game :shock:
Obadiah333
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Obadiah333 »

I hate to necro this post but this is ridiculous. it's been almost a year since I posted the original post and STILL no reply from the devs. sad. really I expected better. I guess they have better things to do than answer questions from their player base.

they might as well sell out to EA or ubisoft if this is how they are going to treat their customers.

thanks for nothing.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Panzer Corps is an old game, it’s life
rubyjuno

Post by rubyjuno »

As terminator says, it's an old game now, still a brilliant one for those of us still playing, but it's over 12 years old.

I sympathise with you if you want to buy it for the Mac and it's expensive, but the Mac's not really known for gaming, so for companies like Slitherine it's an afterthought. Maybe a copy is sold every now and then, but gaming companies are in the business of making money (otherwise they would cease to exist) and Slitherine had to move on.

For what it's worth, $80 is great value anyway. I've played for well over 1000 hours and nowhere near finished yet.

Return to “Panzer Corps”