Asking about your real opinion on the future of PC2

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

wecker
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Asking about your real opinion on the future of PC2

Post by wecker »

Hello all,

I don`t know how you feel about the future of our beloved game PanzerCorps 2.

I ordered the Field Marshal Edition and bought all following DLCs on Steam. I also installed a lot of Mods from the Steam Workshop. I liked Storm over Europe and the PanzerCorps 1 Grand Campaign most. I stopped playing these mods when (every then and now) there was a new update and I had to start from 39 anew. I stopped to play them after the 3rd or 4th update.

I played the game for 1.605 hours - but I cannot finish the AO45 and AO46 DLCs.

I started the AO46 DLC and simply cant play it. I was really excited about V2 rockets and Landratte :D

But somehow I don`t have the nerve to play with nuclear weapons. I mean - I am not a pacifist or something like that but it turns me somehow "off". WW2 was finished with Hiroshima and Nagasaki and from then on a new era starts. And I am only interested in the "good, old" WW2 thingies and not fantasy stuff. Otherwise I would go to World of Tanks (o.k. - have been there also a long time - but the "new" and fantasy tanks turned me of).

But it is not only that - I bought the Bulge DLC (although I`m not that interested in the Ardennes) - I started it for 2-3 turns - and didn`t continue further. I even have no nerve to start the game anew.

What is wrong with me? In my best times I visited the forums almost every day.

I was also delighted about the prospect of Pacific - but we wait for 2(?) years and nothing comes of it...

I am afraid that the idea of turn based strategy games is somehow over...

What do you think?
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Asking about your real opinion on the future of PC2

Post by Retributarr »

wecker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm Hello all,

I don`t know how you feel about the future of our beloved game PanzerCorps 2.

I ordered the Field Marshal Edition and bought all following DLCs on Steam. I also installed a lot of Mods from the Steam Workshop. I liked Storm over Europe and the PanzerCorps 1 Grand Campaign most. I stopped playing these mods when (every then and now) there was a new update and I had to start from 39 anew. I stopped to play them after the 3rd or 4th update.

I played the game for 1.605 hours - but I cannot finish the AO45 and AO46 DLCs.

I am only interested in the "good, old" WW2 thingies and not fantasy stuff. Otherwise I would go to World of Tanks (o.k. - have been there also a long time - but the "new" and fantasy tanks turned me off!).

What do you think?
"Wecker!!!... You're not-alone!!!". "All that you say "Is-True"... that's also probably why that those reasonings have something to do with the down-turn of excitement in this PzC2-Forum!.

wecker post wrote: I was also delighted about the prospect of Pacific - but we wait for 2(?) years and nothing comes of it???...
SO THEN!!!...Why don't the developers of this "Project"... come to us... for "Feed-Back???"... for suggestions... for "Research-Assistance"..."For Human-Resource- and Development Support of all kinds?"... "of and from many varied countless aspects???." ... such as possible "Campaign-Design Direction"_"Maps & Scale"_"Units & Behavior of Units under various conditions"_ "Alternate possibilities or choices to make in the Pacific-War"... to experience a very-interesting and new exciting discovery aspect!.

wecker post wrote:"I am afraid that the idea of turn based strategy games is somehow over1"...

For-Now!!!...Yes!!!... that is "My-Position" as well!. So!... lets-Hope!... that "These-Lagards"... "Take-The-Hint!"... Pull up their Trowsers!... Roll up their Sleeves!... and get their "Heads-Back-Up-Into-The-Game!". They need to"Overcome this lack of Motivational Leadership and Direction"... and get their "Heads-Out-Of-The-Sand!"... where they "Hear-Nothing"... "Say-Nothing"... and... "Do-Nothing!".
adiekmann
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by adiekmann »

I suspect that there are several ideas or projects in the works. The devs just want to keep all of their cards close to their chest, especially after the debacle of Pacific Corps. I can't blame them.

What those are then? Who knows. I doubt any of us would have predicted The Battle of the Bulge mini campaign.

I would imagine an easy guess would be some sort of Soviet, American, or British campaign is in some stage of development. Another consideration is that the opinion of players on this forum might not be totally representative of the greater PC2 customer base as a whole. What some of us dedicated players would like to see might be not well received by the greater audience. Too difficult, for instance.

I check once in a while to see if there's any news or announcements.
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

I vote for them to pay Grondel to develop a DLC! :D :P :mrgreen: :!:
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Grondel »

adiekmann wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:43 am I vote for them to pay Grondel to develop a DLC! :D :P :mrgreen: :!:
thx :) but i doubt that could work out, i´m a little special u know. :)

I sure have more than enough ideas, but only 168h per week AND STILL NO MOD KIT!!!!

sers,
Thomas
Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Grondel wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:00 am
adiekmann wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:43 am I vote for them to pay Grondel to develop a DLC! :D :P :mrgreen: :!:
thx :) but i doubt that could work out, i´m a little special u know. :)

I sure have more than enough ideas, but only 168h per week AND STILL NO MOD KIT!!!!

sers,
Thomas
I Vote likewise with "adiekmann"... saying Yes!!!... to "Grondel" in developing the next DLC!.
Grondel post wrote: ((("I sure have more than enough ideas, but only 168h per week AND STILL NO MOD KIT!!!!"))).
"Grondel!"... For what you are lacking... "Seek Assistance!"... such as to get advise and support from someone like "Kerensky!". Maybe?... if he is not too-overly-busy... you can ask him to work alongside you to develop the next DLC???... as he has a great-deal of "Know-How... and Experience".

My Preference... would be either the entire "Pacific Campaign"... or if that is "Just-Way-Too-Much"... then do something like the "Midway Campaign" by itself... or even something smaller and easier than that to start out with... just to get your feet wet.

If your creation is of any Discernible-Merit... then perhaps "Slitherine" can offer you some of the profit for doing your work?. You should get "Paid!".

Remember!... this would just be "The Beginning!"... after this is done... "My 2nd-Preference"... would be not at first... a 'War with China' on a Grande-Scale... but just the "TAIWAN STRAITS" incident!.
DefiantXYX
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by DefiantXYX »

I vote Grondel for a complete revision of the existings DLCs ;)
With some finetuning the could become even better!

To the topic:
I have the same feelings. I know the Bulge DLC wont fit my play style, so I did not buy a dlc for the first time.

While waiting for more content I really have a problem with the another run of the AOs. I know there is 1945/1946...I think I already mentioned it, its like watching GoT. The series is legendary, but I know there is a point when saison 8 is next.

I really dont know to replay 1945/1946 and it feels wrong to stop in 1944. Especially 1946 was just a pain in the ass at some point.
There is a huge army, defeat it.
There is another huge army, defeat it.
Suprise, there is another huge army, defeat it.
There is another huge army ==> you cant defeat it, beacuse Manstein must die.
And everything starts again. There are 10 szenarios you could really skip, its always the same you have nothing to do. You army is at max., you dont need upgrades, heroes and stuff any longer.

PC2 is at its best when you have a fresh start. When you have to think about every step, every hero, every replacement. When you really could lose a scenario, or units, or run out of prestige.

Imo the only missing concept that could work in long terms is an allied campaign, over 5-6 years. But that requires new mechanics for the game. Defending does just not work, you cant retreat without losing core units, without core units you just play scenarios.
I could imagine some special operations in the early years of the war. Lets say in poland you only have 4-5 core units, the rest are aux units. You would "win" a scenario, by not losing all hexes. Your core units can die, but there is a feature, that saves them, like "old guard".
With the years of war your core rises while the ammount of aux units is going back.
But the biggest problem is the AI. Its too dump to attack.
Just some thoughts...
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Grondel »

DefiantXYX wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:26 am Defending does just not work, you cant retreat without losing core units, without core units you just play scenarios.
Have u played the fictional "winter war" path of the 1939 campaign of the PC1 remake mod?
After Fall Weiß u can choose to go there instread of Weserübung.
It´s basically 3 retreat scenarios. Any feedback is welcome.

Hint:
If u want to play them properly, make sure to bring some "borrowed" polish and russian equipment.

sers,
Thomas
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

For reference nikivdd, a prolific modder for PzC1 was paid to develop US Corps for PzC1.
nikivdd does not like the PzC2 Modding environment, so has not done any PzC2 modding.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

wecker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm
I am afraid that the idea of turn based strategy games is somehow over...

What do you think?
I doubt that... just check the pages of wargame developers - Panzer Corps 2 may be underwhelming, but it's just a drop in the ocean of turn based strategy games.

As for the game itself, I admit I have little experience. I bought it, played it, didn't think too much of it, so went back to the original Panzer Corps which for me is the better game.
BarbarianHunter
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BarbarianHunter »

I ran out of steam @ 1946 myself. Partly because of the nature of the game units and heroes and partly because I’d had enough glowing alt-history Nazi victories. I started ‘46 as well, saw the island and thought well, that looks fun (not).

I haven’t tried the Bulge DLC. I prefer building a core and having something to tinker with over the longer haul. The short campaign had little to no appeal. I’d rather tinker with settings in the DLC’s or Grand Campaign. Personally, I think these Frontlines campaigns are a mistake and IMO probably came into being out of the need to get something out there status post Pacific cancellation.

I’d like a full Soviet campaign with 5+ DLC's but realize that an Allied campaign will surely be next due to politics.

Edit: I don't mind playing the Mods through a second time as both GrandCampaign and Storm Over Europe are really well done & fun! I do think the GrandCampaign PC1 to PC2 was fine as it was though. The Prestige for hero remix, larger battlefield, elite replacement/ammo is fun and interesting but why delete the original iteration as opposed to adding another version?

So far as Storm Over Europe, my .02 cents says leave SCW and '39 be (no prestige ---> hero gate) and spend the modding time on new content. Of course, with all the scenarios you'd have to have a recommended hero frequency that would diminish as the campaign progressed. Say 100% in SCW, 65% in '39 etc...
DefiantXYX

Post by DefiantXYX »

Grondel wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:25 pm
DefiantXYX wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:26 am Defending does just not work, you cant retreat without losing core units, without core units you just play scenarios.
Have u played the fictional "winter war" path of the 1939 campaign of the PC1 remake mod?
After Fall Weiß u can choose to go there instread of Weserübung.
No, I actually I havent. Weserübung is always one of my favorite battlefields, so its hard to chose another path. Maybe some day in a rerun :)
Bee1976
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Bee1976 »

wecker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm

Maybe you just need a longer break from the game. It felt bad for me finishing 1946 and its hard to do a replay of it, because you know its over....no more core developing, and so on
wecker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm I stopped playing these mods when (every then and now) there was a new update and I had to start from 39 anew. I stopped to play them after the 3rd or 4th update.
I stopped playing them because to much changes from the basegame. At some point it felt "wrong" for me. I like the challenge and the "feeling" but for know i have no intention t play them. i will give them a try when the series comes to an end.
wecker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm I was also delighted about the prospect of Pacific - but we wait for 2(?) years and nothing comes of it...
Its shelved. Im afraid we wont see any more official Pacific content
wecker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm I am afraid that the idea of turn based strategy games is somehow over...
Hm, i love to play turn based strategy games. But im not focussed on ww2, or strict historic stuff. Im really interested in ww2 ich read books, watch documentaries, read magzines, and so on. But considering games i want fun and challenge. I enjoy histroic ww2 games, but i can enjoy any tbs game as long as its fun.
For me PC2 is still real fun. I cant wait new content.
wecker wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:17 pm What do you think?
I think adiekmann is right. There will be a long series from allied perspective, i hope for AfrikaCorps aswell, because i like the theatres.
And i would assume, there will be more mini campaign. I dont like short campaigns, because they are short. but i could imagine a Stalingrad Campaign...and of course i would buy it.

Marco said 5 projects in the works, Bulge is one of them so im looking forward for the next announcement

s
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

DefiantXYX wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:26 am
I vote Grondel for a complete revision of the existings DLCs ;)
With some finetuning the could become even better!
I highly doubt this would happen, at least officially. It just wouldn't be profitable enough to spend the hours redoing the entire AO series...unless he did it himself as a mod. :D

But I would rather see new content.
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

dalfrede wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:36 pm
For reference nikivdd, a prolific modder for PzC1 was paid to develop US Corps for PzC1.
nikivdd does not like the PzC2 Modding environment, so has not done any PzC2 modding.
Of this I was aware. Nikivdd made my favorite mod campaigns for PC1 and I was indeed thinking of him when I nominated Grondel for DLC office. :P Some years ago now I wondered why he was absent from the PC2 forums and I was able to discover that he indeed had some issues with this iteration of the game, though I could not determine exactly what those problems were.
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

adiekmann wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:42 pm Some years ago now I wondered why he was absent from the PC2 forums and I was able to discover that he indeed had some issues with this iteration of the game, though I could not determine exactly what those problems were.
LUA scripts, he is not a software person, does not want deal with scripting issues
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
funat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by funat »

I join the OP in the sentiment. I didn't buy Bulge and unless a serious Allied Campaign is on the way (Soviet or Western), I am not coming back either. I am not interested in fantasy, weird planes, atomic bombs or 10' long monologues. I like the mechanics and building cores across multiple DLCs. If that's not there - I am out.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Grondel »

adiekmann wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:36 pm I highly doubt this would happen, at least officially. It just wouldn't be profitable enough to spend the hours redoing the entire AO series...unless he did it himself as a mod. :D
But I would rather see new content.
Already out there. I did SCW till 1940 and currently Andrea69 is doing the rest.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 3086304953

sers,
Thomas
Ruggs225
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Ruggs225 »

I also didnt finish the 46 campaign, i am at the last mission but i have no real desire to complete… the fantasy tanks and no variation in missions was kind of boring.

No real desire for the bulge series either as it is too short and then u are done with that core.

Really wanted pacific campaign, but sigh, that got pulled out from me. Started playing OOB but again its just like a vanilla campaign and i want more of a grand campaign and some branching. Hopefully a new standalone game mixing OOB and PZ2 is made for a Pacific Theater game.

Hopefully there is an US only grand campaign coming folled by an Allied Grand campaign for PZ2.

Also have zero interest in USSR campaign. Its actually like a negative interest.

Alao have zero interest in these short dlcs where the core is discarded at the end. Core building is the fun part. Maybe pick up on a big sale but thats it.

An Italian Campaign could be interesting too.
adiekmann

Post by adiekmann »

Frankly, I did finish AO46 but have not played it to the end again since. While I do not object to ahistorical content, I have some issues with it and this goes back to Panzer General 1 too.

I like it to some extent, but the further you go away from history the more speculative and uncertain it gets. In other words, the more it becomes what some of you have deemed "fantasy."

I have generally preferred historical content though I understand the feelings of "But I'm winning every battle so why am I losing the war?" There are ways around this like was done in the GC in PC1 since you are not commanding the whole front, but still you're winning the important battles.

I also agree with the sentiment that a keystone to this game, this series even, has been the building and development of your core. Not everything has to be AO in length, but how many scenarios (not fake scenarios like Forbach :roll: ) long would you say should be the minimum? I'd say probably around 25.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”