Waypoints

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

HobbesACW
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Waypoints

Post by HobbesACW »

It seems there is no way of setting waypoints? In this example to get to the hex I want to reach I have to go straight through a town rather than bypass it?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (54.77 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
Cheers,
Chris
adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Waypoints

Post by adherbal »

It's something we can look into, but it's not possible at the moment.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

Thanks. Even the ability to plot a single waypoint would be a help.

Cheers,
Chris
jslit
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jslit »

This really needs to be added since so many units have the concealable trait. Got annoying a few times yesterday playing Okinawa.
HobbesACW

Post by HobbesACW »

So often I want to move to a hex that is reachable but the game forces me to take a ridiculous route through an area where you know you are likely to be ambushed.
Only a suicidal commander would take the route proffered. Instead you have to take a different route and move as close as you can to your target hex but lose impetus for the attack. I assume a problem with adding a waypoint is that the AI would not take advantage of this so the player would have an easier game?

Cheers,
Chris
Solaristics
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Solaristics »

Has this feature been added yet? I just bought the game and I find it strange I can't bypass areas that I suspect are occupied.
LuftWFJ44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by LuftWFJ44 »

Yes, this is one of the weaknesses of the current game compared to Panzer Corps. In fact I am glad the Panzer Corps is not outclassed by the OdB: Pacific, both are excellent, yet some principles of the Panzer Corps would be nice in the new game too. Including the rules for movement and combat. In the OdB:P you either shoot or you move, or you can move and shoot; but you cannot shoot and move. This is perfectly understandable for heavy artillery; it is not for mobile units and it is not especially for the ships as these do fight when moving. A ship should be able to move 3 hexes, fire it's guns, and move another 1 hex. I presume this is not possible because, unlike in PC or PG, the attacked ship does not return fire, and the battles would turn into successive approach, fire, and retreat to a safe distance.

I strongly second the request about the waypoints. It is very important for the player's tactics; there are many reasons why he would like to choose a specific route, avoid difficult terrain, arrive from a different direction, avoid unwanted encounters, move out of the enemy's sight. Especially with the excellent supply system this is something we really need in OoB:P too.
KarlXII
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KarlXII »

I agree with the request
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

The defending ships in OOB did originally return fire, but I think naval battles quickly left a lot of ships sunk. So it was changed.
The engine rules change every now and then, so I would not give up hope yet.
AlMalik

Post by AlMalik »

Can we give up hope now?
StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by StuccoFresco »

I'd say yes.