Field of Glory: Empires Manual

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory: Empires Manual

Post by Daniele »

Field of Glory: Empires release is nearing and it's time to reveal its Manual. No preview, no sneak peek, the full manual.

In over 200 pages you'll find precious information about basic gameplay, key concepts (like the Legacy and Decadence System), National Traits and more!

Click on the cover below to get the full PDF file! You can also download it through the Download section of its product page

Field of Glory: Empires will be released on July 11th

Important! Field of Gory: Empires will have a printable pdf manual, but not the hardcover

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Field of Glory: Empires Manual

Post by devoncop »

Enjoy everyone !!!!

No excuses now not to storm through our MP game :D
juanval
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by juanval »

Wow. Just what I wanted while waiting for the release. Thanks guys for listening the comunity.
YohanTM2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by YohanTM2 »

Much appreciated!
Asty
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Asty »

Very, very cool and very well done

Big thumbs up
76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by 76mm »

Great, thanks for this, I will take a look when I get a chance.
juanval

Post by juanval »

After read it, I must give congrats to devs for the manual they've done. It's very well detailed and very understandable. There is a lot of work put on it.

It would be interesting to distinguish between Historical Provinces and Administrative Provinces or something like that.

The term Province seems confusing because is used for defining 2 different concepts:
1 the group of regions that are culturally connected forming a Historical Province.
2 the group of regions that you control and allow you the possibility to create an Administrative Province.

Will the manual be translated to diferent languages?
juanval

Post by juanval »

Watching the manual I see each region produces 1 point of decadence. Per turn?

Watching the panel of HCV and, I don't know how total decadence is calculated, because I saw from diferent videos that sometimes the total value of diferent sources of decadence doesn't match with the decadence value. In the image I post, 25+3=28 is ok, but in other videos I see that stable nations don't take into account Status Age Penalty and National Modifiers.
Attachments
C and D.png
C and D.png (301.19 KiB) Viewed 11954 times
decadence.jpg
decadence.jpg (164.47 KiB) Viewed 11954 times
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by loki100 »

a) yes, but note that if you form the province this drops a lot

b) key rule here is 7.6, you 'age' when young/mature but that age does not convert to decadence, once you are glorious/old/decadent it does.

This implication of becoming glorious is going to catch some players out, esp if you take a small tribe and it can be some time before you progress that far. Hence the short discussion in 17.2.6, which may help (at least as a reminder).
juanval

Post by juanval »

Mature is the same than stable?
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

The 5 status(es) are: young stable glorious old decadent

So I guess mature means old ?
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
juanval

Post by juanval »

Mature meaning for me is something between young and old. When I read it on the manual I thought the meaning was stable.

I'm interested how the culture/decadence works in the long term. Only 10 days ;)
JoeMK
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by JoeMK »

Printable yes. But unfortunately there's no printer-friendly version!
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

JoeMK wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 pm Printable yes. But unfortunately there's no printer-friendly version!
Yes, printing+binding the current manual costs >50$/€...
Any chance to have printer friendly version or best physical manuals ?
MarkShot
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MarkShot »

I wanted to commend both the FOGE team and Slitherine (and FOG2). Why?

For having solid well written manuals ... It is one of the things I miss of about PC games of the 90s.

Personally, I think it is appalling to market a quality product and leave the documentation to consumers to do on a Wiki and YouTube.

I am a retired manager/software engineer, my design/management practice was always to write the documentation before the code. Why?

* As things come down to the wire, you know where schedules will be cut.

* Often while trying to explain something in a manual, you realize a problem ... feature missing ... feature too convoluted ... UI counter-intuitive. Such realizations are infinitely cheaper to find and correct when writing prose than with 20,000 lines of code behind them.
solops
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by solops »

Lot's of big changes. Any chance of an updated manual?
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Diplomacy - Read here the Updated Rules

Post by Daniele »

Diplomacy Rules

I – Legitimate ownership
Now when you are at war and conquer a region, it is flagged as ‘war-occupied’. It means that if you were to make a peace which returned the original regions to each side you would also cede back the conquered region. Said differently you no longer instantly gain regions you conquer in a war; it must be claimed during the peace negotiation.
Note that during a peace deal, you can also ask any region owned by the opposing side and are not restricted to demanding just what you managed to conquer.

II – Warscore
When war erupts, a warscore will appear in the Diplomacy Interface. That’s the measure of how the war is going on. A positive value means you are winning (slightly or substantively, depending of the value). A negative value means you are losing. Three things affect warscore:
Region conquests
Leader deaths
Battles

Warscore is used as the currency when settling peace.

II - Peace treaty:
When a side wants to settle peace, and once you have clicked on the ‘Peace’ button, a new panel will open showing you the current warscore (although you can always see this from the main diplomacy interface), the stance you are adopting in the negotiation and a list of possible clauses.

If you are winning the war (positive warscore), you can ask the defeated to give, relinquish or accept clauses for your benefit. There are 12 possibilities so far.
If you are losing the war (negative warscore), then you can only cede items (including regions). You can’t bargain and ask for a few things while mostly giving away other items.
As you ask for items, as the winner, your warscore allowance will reduce towards zero. In turn, you’ll change stance progressively, as you are demanding more and more things. Initially, you’ll be set in a Generous or Conciliatory stance, but it can shift to ‘Extorting’, if you are pushing the limits.
There are two interests in staying within a not too demanding stance. First, the acceptance chance by the defeated is much bigger. Second, this will have a profound effect on the new relationships between you and the vanquished. If you don’t care they hate you for a long time, then try to pressure them to the maximum. But if you want the peace to be a long lasting one, then you might want to stay with a conciliatory stance.
Once you are satisfied with the items requested or given up, validate the treaty. There will be a one turn delay before the other side sees it, and then another turn to receive their answer.

There can be 3 kinds of answers
Yes, No, Counterproposal.

The first two are rather self-explanatory. As for the third, it means the other nation perceives some interest in your proposal but is not quite satisfied with some entries. The counterproposal issued, if you accept it, will be the final Peace Treaty.
If you disagree with the new terms, you too have the options to say simply No. Or to issue another counterproposal.

III – Transaction Treaty
The transaction treaty is very similar in concept and in format with the Peace Treaty. It can be issued between two nations which are not at war. Here too, you have to play with a currency, which is not the warscore, but ‘Bargain Points’.
The main difference compared to a Peace Deal is that in this transaction, or trade, both sides can ask and give at the same time. So this is a rather free-form deal, where you can give away a region, in exchange of some gold and … why not, some war elephants?

IV – Possible Clauses
There are twelve possible clauses. Most can be used in both treaties, but some are restricted to only one type. (T) means it is only available in a transaction treaty while (P) means it will only be available in a peace deal. If nothing is indicated, both treaties support the clause.

Client-State: The nation becomes a client-state of the other nation.
Cooperation Treaty (T): As part of the transaction, add a cooperation treaty.
Alliance (T): As part of the transaction, enter a mutual alliance.
Absorb the other nation: The proposing nation is completely absorbed into the other nation. In practice it means being removed from the map!
Ask (or Give) Money, Metal, Manpower: A straightforward clause where you ask (or give) one of the three. Manpower is Transaction restricted though.
Humiliate (P): This will cause a loss of legacy, and a portion of the lost points will be received by the requester.
Regions: Cede or give a region (or several) that you legitimately own.
Province: A convenience Clause that will add at once all possible (and legit) regions of a given province.
Units: Provide or request special units. The other side doesn’t have to have the actual units in his army, but he needs to be able to produce them. Only provincial units and a very few special units can be requested. There will be an extra fee of 75 Money per unit to be paid by the gifter, so as to cover recruitment and transportation cost (abstracted).
Disband (P): Accept or demand the other side disband part of his army or fleet. The cost will vary with the size of the enemy military and the percentage to disband. Units will be disbanded randomly until the required percentage is reached.
Bullseye500

Post by Bullseye500 »

Are there (near) future plans to update the manual?
USGrant1962
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by USGrant1962 »

Bullseye500 wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:37 pm Are there (near) future plans to update the manual?
Bump. In addition to the new diplo rules and upcoming DLC mechanisms, there are still typos and errors in the manual. Page 46, for example, is missing Arid Steppe from the terrain table and still has a graphic placeholder "515.jpg".
USG
All models are wrong, but some are useful - George Box
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

To be honest, unless a volunteer step in and port the manual to an online wikia, I don't think a global update will happen. You'll get addenda to the manual, like the diplomacy notes, but that's it. I need to concentrate on things like coding and extra content, sorry.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”