Modding the unit state icon ?

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Modding the unit state icon ?

Post by Athos1660 »

That's only cosmetics (as yellow < red in terms of danger), absolutely unimportant, but maybe it is easy to change (?), so...

Is it possible to change the letters of the cohesion state above the units, you know the yellow D and red F ?

In French (from the manual) :
- Disrupted is Perturbé
- Fragmented is Divisé
StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Modding the unit state icon ?

Post by StuccoFresco »

I think so. When I modified the flags I also had to modify with Photoshop the filesthat also stores the D/F letters. I was thinking of modifying them too, but I'm not at home now and I don't remember precisely where those files are.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

You would have to change every UnitIcons.dds file, there are 25 of them.

In each one you would have to recreate the flags that currently have D and F on them using the steady state flag, and then write your new letter over the flag, preferably adding a bit of shading around the letter to make it stand out.

Then comes the hard bit, you would have to create a new alpha layer for each UnitIcons.dds file, so that each banner shows the correct level of damage (4 levels) while still showing all of the new letter.

It's the sort of thing I have done many times before when creating new UnitIcons for my scenarios and the Extra Nations mod, and it is not a simple thing. Certainly it is possible, but you would need to be quite skilful with a Graphics program, and it would be very tedious work.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

So the D and F are dds. pictures, not written letters in a script... I haven't even thought of that possibility...

Thank you to both of you
Thank you Paul for the precise instructions.

Once upon a time (ie several years ago), I did play with alpha layers (in particular to create camouflages for WW2 aircrafts). Downloading a software, learning how to use it, remembering how to do the job and actually doing it would be indeed very time-consuming (for a cosmetic thing).

I will see whether or not I do it. However thank you for answering so quickly. :-)

Return to “Modders Corner”