Modding the Hundred Years War . . .

Moderator: rbodleyscott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Modding the Hundred Years War . . .

Post by rbodleyscott »

stockwellpete wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:21 pmfirstly, is it possible to alter the % chance per turn a unit will have of moving on to the map (maybe 25% instead of 10%)?
Not without modding non-scenarios scripts. And it is 5% not 10%.
Secondly, is it possible to change the message "RETURNING" to "ARRIVING" when a unit moves on to the map?

You could put a modded string in your text file.

Of course it would also be used if any troops did return to the battlefield during the game.
Thirdly, do units starting off-map count in the size of the army and the calculation of army % losses as the battle proceeds?
Yes
2) Is there any way to make longbows more powerful? Maybe, the re-supply will be enough to increase the number of "kills", but increasing the number of casualties they can cause (+25%?) would be a useful option for me too.
Not without modding non-scenario scripts.
3) In terms of the scenario scripts required for this one, there are a few . . .
i) a re-supply script for the English side between turns 8 and 10 (100% chance as they have a fortified camp behind their position
As I say, that could be done.
ii) a withdrawal script that removes all the surviving Genoese crossbowmen at the start of the French Turn 4. I don't want them hanging about in the scenario, however what impact will this have on the % losses of the French army? If it just reduces the number of soldiers the programme thinks there are in the French army then that is fine. The Genoese start the battle as "disrupted" and then get inundated with arrows so some will be "routed", others "fragmented". So they are not going to be moving into contact with the English line, so removing them with a script should not present any problems.
Something can be done with this, depending on what effect you want it to have on the rout %age.
iii) I want the English missile units to start with 6 shots, the French with only 2 (no re-supply).
Easy. We already did it with one of your WOR scenarios (3 and 2 in that)
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

OK, thanks Richard. That helps a lot with deciding how to make these scenarios. :wink:
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

stockwellpete wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 pm OK, thanks Richard. That helps a lot with deciding how to make these scenarios. :wink:
Actually Pete, we could boost the longbows POA with a similar script to that used for Towton when shooting with the wind. Except this would be much simpler, as we don't need the wind direction stuff.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Paul59 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:26 pm Actually Pete, we could boost the longbows POA with a similar script to that used for Towton when shooting with the wind. Except this would be much simpler, as we don't need the wind direction stuff.
Yes, OK, that's great then. :D

I had a look in the Towton BSF and I could see the section you mean. I also can see the section that allows you to differentiate the amount of Ammo given to each side. Would it be OK if I send you the scenario some time next week with clear instructions as to which scripts I need? I will also need a simple script that allows the rest of the French army to move from Turn 3 onwards. Only the Genoese can move on Turns 1 and 2. I will be back on the Edward Bruce scenarios next week so there is no urgency at all over this. But the longbow boost, differential Ammo and Re-supply scripts will pretty much go into all of the scenarios for the HYW. There are nearly 40 possible scenarios to choose from - and that excludes sieges!
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

stockwellpete wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:14 pm
Paul59 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:26 pm Actually Pete, we could boost the longbows POA with a similar script to that used for Towton when shooting with the wind. Except this would be much simpler, as we don't need the wind direction stuff.
Yes, OK, that's great then. :D

I had a look in the Towton BSF and I could see the section you mean. I also can see the section that allows you to differentiate the amount of Ammo given to each side. Would it be OK if I send you the scenario some time next week with clear instructions as to which scripts I need? I will also need a simple script that allows the rest of the French army to move from Turn 3 onwards. Only the Genoese can move on Turns 1 and 2. I will be back on the Edward Bruce scenarios next week so there is no urgency at all over this. But the longbow boost, differential Ammo and Re-supply scripts will pretty much go into all of the scenarios for the HYW. There are nearly 40 possible scenarios to choose from - and that excludes sieges!
Yes, no problem, send it over when ready.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Athos1660 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:12 pm Does this expression "Storm of arrows" come from a specific medieval source : poem, song, battle report, royal ordinance, instruction for the longbowmen... ?
I have not come across 'storm of arrows'. But 'showers of arrows' is attested in Gesta Henrici Quinti. I have also seen 'clouds of arrows' but can't recall where, maybe in Monstrelet.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

fogman wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:00 pm
Athos1660 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:12 pm Does this expression "Storm of arrows" come from a specific medieval source : poem, song, battle report, royal ordinance, instruction for the longbowmen... ?
I have not come across 'storm of arrows'. But 'showers of arrows' is attested in Gesta Henrici Quinti. I have also seen 'clouds of arrows' but can't recall where, maybe in Monstrelet.
Interesting ! Thank you for this information.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Just the latest on Crecy 1346, which will be one of the first scenarios in my HYW series, that I will be starting soon. Paul59 has done an excellent job in providing me with several scenario scripts that have combined to make this a very promising start. I have just done a play-test this morning. The first screenshot shows a mounted French knight unit breaking through the English line on Turn 13 (of 18) . . .

Screen_00000001.jpg
Screen_00000001.jpg (763.42 KiB) Viewed 520 times

Here is the situation on Turn 14 when the French infantry first starts to join the fighting . . .

Screen_00000002.jpg
Screen_00000002.jpg (751.33 KiB) Viewed 520 times

And here is the situation at the end of the battle, with the English counter-charging off the slope to win 40-8 as night falls . . .

Screen_00000003.jpg
Screen_00000003.jpg (720.54 KiB) Viewed 520 times

I think this worked very well overall. I can modify the victory conditions slightly so that a winning margin of 20 points, whatever the score, counts as a win for campaign purposes (i.e. victory points). The extra +POA for the longbows allowed them to get more kills, combined with careful use of the artillery. Lack of ammunition started to be an issue for the English from Turn 7 onwards and they were nor partially re-supplied until Turn 12. The French were quite unlucky. Several times their mounted knights got big wins on their impact melees, but they just could not get the vital cohesion drops to help them break through. One mounted knight unit did get behind the English line, but it was easily contained.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

I really think the "sub-period of stakes" during the HYW really shines when you vary the setup :
- using a very narrow nap and English defending behind Stakes to reenact Azincourt,
- using a plain, mounted French MAA and English without stakes to reenact the battle of Patay,
- using Ambush (Own) on a very narrow nap and English defending behind Stakes to reenact the battle of Formigny,
- using the French defending behind chariots to reenact the battle of Castillon,

because playing only Agincourt-like battles can get a bit boring after a while imho.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval - Modding”