Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.
Reducing the scale of the battlefield brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level, where the main unit of manoeuvre is the battalion. DC: Ardennes Offensive is a real classic wargame with an exceptional level of detail.
The game comes with a huge, full campaign scenario lasting over 16 days and several smaller scenarios focusing on several days of combat on specific parts of the front (like St. Vith and Bastogne). You will be able to play the whole Ardennes campaign on a 1km/hex map with battalion-sized Units at your command. Each day is divided into 4 turns, including a night turn.
Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive comes with dozens of additions, changes and improvements designed to fit its scale and to bring innovation to the series. The result is an extremely immersive operational wargame where, more than ever, intelligent tactics can beat the odds.
- Weather is more detailed than ever before, with over 5 different Hex states that show different combinations of precipitation, snow cover and frost.
- Small villages and hamlets are now visible as well as height levels.
- Ardennes Offensive adds line of sight to the Decisive Campaign Series for the first time: hills block line of sight and Recon is now more important than ever.
- Hexes are no longer owned. You can expect enemy troops to infiltrate your lines without you noticing.
- The Supply System has been overhauled. This overhaul includes the introduction of traffic congestion rules, which can especially impact the Fuel deliveries to your Units.
- Intercept Fire makes advancing in open terrain a hazardous affair, but also brings dynamisms to the game with enemy Units acting while you are moving yours. Make the call: If you don’t want to leave your Units some Action Points then they can’t react to enemy moves the upcoming turn.
- You can now switch your Units between March Mode and Combat Mode. March Mode allows double the movement but makes your Units very vulnerable to possible intercept fire.
- When attacking a hex, you can now also choose between different intensities of attack ranging from a Probe Attack to an All-Out-Attack.
- Ardennes Offensive adds the Uncertainty Rule as an optional feature. If you play with this rule each Unit gets a hidden combat modifier that you will discover over time as the Unit sees more and more combat.
- It is possible to create Kampfgruppes on the fly, Scrap equipment and even use on-map Truck Units to transport other Units.
- Complete rehaul of the hex graphics as well as the Unit graphics. As a result, DC: Ardennes Offensive comes with a fresh-looking map, unit counters as well as new and matching troop and landscape illustrations.
- The interface has adapted left-right-click conventions in order to have a quicker and smoother experience moving your Units.
- The AI has been reworked a lot and will provide a solid challenge even in regular mode.
- DC: Ardennes Offensive is the first title in the series with accessible and easy-to-use editors.