Abilities Not Working In MP Scenarios

A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Abilities Not Working In MP Scenarios

Post by A_Wal_ »

Most abilities that work fine in MP skirmishes are simply missing (not even listed in the boxes when the unit is highlighted) in the MP scenarios.

Heralds Of Tzeentch and AM Psychers for example can't do anything other than shoot and melee attack respectively.

I know I'm not the only one to have had this issue but I couldn't find it on the site.

I've just made an MP scenario based on an official campaign map and I'm about to do the same with another map so I'd really like to get this fixed, cheers.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Abilities Not Working In MP Scenarios

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It looks like the scripts for special abilities require some specific data to be loaded. Specifically it needs to call the SetupStartAbilities function on all units, via the StartTurn function which should be included in any custom orders. So you should check that any overloads you have made on the scripting hasn't stopped this from working. Apologies for the hassles, the game data wasn't set up with modding in mind unfortunately.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

Thanks for the reply.

Well it's not really a mod, all I've done is chosen the copy an existing folder option in the editor and deleted the units in the map file so I could replace them (can't figure out if there's a way to delete units from the editor). Then just I added my edited map in the campaign file so it shows up on the menu.

I figured out that the issue is caused by mixing factions, presumably the skills for each faction are stored in separate files/folders and it can only load abilities for one faction per side. Is there a way around this? I didn't think that this was causing the problem because the same thing happened to me with the BloodMist mp scenario. The Prime scenario worked though, those are the only two I've played so far.

What I can't work out now is how you actually set which factions are in play for the map. The two toggle sides buttons at the top only affect the icon that's shown above units for that side as far as I can tell. You can check which two factions actually are in play by seeing which two faction icons you can toggle between above the victory points (they don't match the two factions you can assign to each side) and there is a way to change the two actual factions because I've done it accidentally somehow. Where is this set?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

You delete units in the editor using the DELETE key.

I think you are correct that mixing units from various sides could well cause issues. The factions used are defined in the SIDES.TXT file IIRC. The editor controls just change the visual icon used for a given side in the battle.

The editor controls seem to have been missed in the manual, so I list them here:

Use CTRL LMB/RMB when in tile mode to alter the tile height
R rotates objects/units/tiles
H toggles the FOW
O toggles damage state for objects
DELETE is used for removing tiles/objects/units (hold and click for units)
F toggles fixed units
C toggles carryover units
PGUP/PGDN/{}/[] rotate objects smoothly
HOME/END/<> scale objects
[hold SHIFT for the above 2 operations to alter the sensitivity]

Cheers

Pip
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

Oh it's hold DELETE and click for units, that's what threw me because it's different for objects.

Thanks for the editor controls, very handy. I've been trial and erroring it.

I'll see if using the SIDES.TXT sorts out the abilities not working in the BloodMist scenario as well.

Is there way to either load more than two factions in the SIDES.TXT or combine the abilities of two factions so it thinks it's only loading two in total?
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

I know what's changing the two factions in the editor, it's the last game I played. I've got a few MP games going and after taking a turn in one of those the factions on the VP plug in the editor in are set to those two factions. So I need to figure out why SP campaigns and and MP skirmishes are setting the factions when the maps load but MP scenarios aren't?

And for the abilities of two factions to work if they're being used together, after looking through the files I can see that there's two 'Sides' and they have four 'Nation' values for the four different factions. I think it would be simple enough to set up a mod that merges factions but can that be done (and undone so it doesn't mess things up) in a map script?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I am not intimately familiar with the Sanctus scripting. But you can definitely override any functionality in your own campaign or mod without breaking the main game.

Cheers

Pip
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

Well I've managed to allow multiple factions to be used on the same side with all their abilities, this will also fix the bug for skills not loading in MP scenario unless you take a turn in a game with the same factions before starting to set them to the right ones. Now I just need to sort out all the conflicts.

I'll add a soulgrinder of Nurgle (lower movement, warp sword, two attacks, cloud of flies, nurgle melee nurf, regen) and Slannesh (faster movement, claw, three attacks) when I'm done. That should actually be really easy compared to this.
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

Got held up by my laptop slowly getting taken apart by a virus, had to reset everything. :(

This might seem like a dumb question but how do you get custom files to run without replacing the base files?
I've tried the methods of putting them in my campaign folder and in a mod folder but neither works.
If there's a scripting error it will cause the game to crash on start up so they are being read.
If it's set up in a mod folder I do get the option to run that mod from the main menu.
In both cases it seems it prioritises the base files over the ones outside of the main game folder.
So if someone wants to run the mod they have to replace files in the main directory and put them back after.
This is obviously less than ideal. Has anyone actually managed to get custom files to run without editing the main files?
A_Wal_
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by A_Wal_ »

Ah, figured it out. You need to copy the $DEFAULT script into the mod's data/battle/scripts folder along with any edited files.

Also you can't put new files in the core folder by copying the standard folder layout, I think you have to use the game's folder.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

A_Wal_ wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:57 pm Ah, figured it out. You need to copy the $DEFAULT script into the mod's data/battle/scripts folder along with any edited files.

Also you can't put new files in the core folder by copying the standard folder layout, I think you have to use the game's folder.
Yes, global mods need to mirror the main game layout, while campaigns are slightly different. This is for historical reasons and can indeed be confusing.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Sanctus Reach Tech Support”