The Bootcamp Tournament!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

The Bootcamp Tournament!

Post by Shards »

The Bootcamp Tournament is underway, good luck!
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Coming Soon... The Bootcamp Tournament!

Post by Shards »

A bit about the maps!

We're returning to every Order of Battle's favourite training locations, on and around Bootcamp Island!

Bootcamp Battle - GB vs USSR

British and Russian forces have been invited to train with their new American allies on Bootcamp Island! You have only a small force of your national troops available to deploy, but your American hosts are sending some of their own recruits to help. Capture supply points to requisition more forces and find the right tactical combinations to claim the island as your own!

Special Features:

- Capture supply bases from Neutral forces to speed up deployment of US forces onto your side of the battlefield
- Resources are very limited and the new CP Block feature is enabled, meaning that you're unable to redeploy any of your Core forces if they are defeated in combat

---

Island Hopping - USA vs USA

A new group of recruits are training ahead of their deployment. Red Team and Blue Team face off over Land, Sea and Air. Will you choose to push through heavy jungles and across rivers or take control of the waves and conduct a naval invasion? Perhaps you'll rule the air and deploy squads of paratroopers. The enemy base must be conquered and it's your job to do so!

Special Features:

- Land, Sea and Air forces are all vital in this head to head fight for territory
- You'll need to ford rivers and cross the seas, but how will you get your forces there safely without being intercepted by your opponent? How will you turn the tables to stop them doing the same?

---

Fleet Command - USA vs JPN

In an exceptional military test, our Bootcamp recruits will be put in charge of captured Japanese equipment to perform a live test of their capability. Command is excited to see how our Air and Naval trainees square off! Rule the waves and the skies with clever use of ships, subs and planes. Capture strategic island locations to show your dominance and be rewarded with extra bomber forces to sink the enemy carriers!

Special Features:

- In a Naval head-to-head, will it be your Carriers, Battleships or submarines that make the difference? Sail across the sea and capture your opponent's HQ or Harbour to win the game.
- Command Points that you lose during your own turn won't be returned until the start of your next turn. So be careful when taking on risky engagements and be aware that disbanded troops will take a while to be reformed
- Capture key naval locations to claim ownership of island factories. Command will reward ownership of these locations with additional bombers and the supply to support them.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: The Bootcamp Tournament!

Post by Shards »

And signups are now open!

https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments
roywfw
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by roywfw »

I've run into a bit of a problem... with an ultra wide monitor (3440x1440) when comparing units in the purchase screen, the top third of the comparisons are blocked and, as far as I can determine, the only way around that is to change the display resolution but that requires a game restart. Soooo... I have, so far, one restart on the 1st turn. Please don't hurt me. :roll:
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Check if the Unit Navigator can do the compare job for you.
It is a great tool.

http://mfendek.byethost16.com/?i=1
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

roywfw wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:11 pm I've run into a bit of a problem... with an ultra wide monitor (3440x1440) when comparing units in the purchase screen, the top third of the comparisons are blocked and, as far as I can determine, the only way around that is to change the display resolution but that requires a game restart. Soooo... I have, so far, one restart on the 1st turn. Please don't hurt me. :roll:
Thank you for the confession, I absolve you :)
roywfw
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by roywfw »

Wow! Excellent tool! Can't believe I've been stumbling around unaware for years. Thanks Erik
JCakus
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by JCakus »

I am trying to log into the Multiplayer PBEM, but I keep getting a timeout error message? Any idea how I work around this?
Travasso
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Travasso »

Hello,

I can´t access to online tournament.

When I try, it shows:
This scenario is not installed in your device

Any ideas to solve this? I am using steam.
Thanks
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

Travasso wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:53 pm Hello,

I can´t access to online tournament.

When I try, it shows:
This scenario is not installed in your device

Any ideas to solve this? I am using steam.
Thanks
Hi,

Firstly, check you're not using a mod or anything?

Secondly, in Steam, right-click on Order of Battle World War II in your Steam Library then select Properties... From the window that pops up select LOCAL FILES then click Verify Integrity of game files...

Steam should run a check and update your downloaded files. It will hopefully correct any errors and then let you play the tournament games.

If this doesn't work, please contact support@slitherine.co.uk, ideally with a screenshot of what you see on your games list, we can then try to figure out what's going wrong for you

Thanks
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I set the Bye points for this tournament at 90 per game, because I suspected that they'd be somewhat low scoring (with CP Blocks and relatively low unit counts and/or hard to achieve full victories), but it seems I was wrong :)
Screenshot 2022-02-21 114837.jpg
Screenshot 2022-02-21 114837.jpg (7.47 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Yamamoto and Psampson, this looks like it must have been an absolute blood bath!
blondus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by blondus »

I absolutely want this replay! :D
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

This is my round 1 game as the Brits. A narrow loss to Bubolino. And also Round 1 as Russians (a moderate win)

Any thoughts from the players about this new map?

I'm disappointed in the score disparity at the top end. I'll need to check up on the maths for taking the enemy base as ~250 is way more that I wanted to see.
(edit, yep, my maths were out in two places. It's fair as it's the same for all players, but I'll fix this for the next patch)

But I think that map and the reinforcements seem to have worked in principle? I like the gradual build up for forces and that the CP Block makes all units really important to maintain/eliminate, but the relatively small scale and additional reinforcements seem to have allowed players to come back from early losses/mistakes still.
Attachments
BootCamp Tournament As Russians.zip
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
BootCamp Tournament As Brits.zip
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I liked the map.
I think it may be slightly unbalanced in favour of the Soviets. At least in my games, I won as Soviet and lost as British.

What is the purpose of the supply ships? There is no way to land units behind the enemy line by sea or air. If the players had an air unit or two, protecting the supply ships could add a bit to the game.
Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards »

I might take away that extra starting CP for the Soviets (Brits start with 10 CP, Russians with 11CP). I try to give small bonuses to the 2nd Player in turn order, to try and mitigate for first player advantage, but they don't seem to need this here.

The supply ships are mostly to help a player who gets reinforcements but then loses territory. I could have added the supply to the main base, but I just liked the idea of giving them a unit that they could also use to supply cut-off forces too. They're mostly just a bit of flavour. (I was lazy with mine in my game as Brits and ended up with a very undersupplied army!!). My opponent started using them to do recon ops, which I quite liked :)
Redbird

Post by Redbird »

I definitely liked the supply ships. Used them to keep my attacking units from being cut-off when I encircled enemy units. Hadn't thought of using them as recon. That's thinking outside the "sand box."
blondus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by blondus »

My opponent is disappeared. It's a shame because i'm close to conquer hq
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AdmiralYamamoto »

Shards wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:50 am I set the Bye points for this tournament at 90 per game, because I suspected that they'd be somewhat low scoring (with CP Blocks and relatively low unit counts and/or hard to achieve full victories), but it seems I was wrong :)

Screenshot 2022-02-21 114837.jpg

Yamamoto and Psampson, this looks like it must have been an absolute blood bath!
Here are my Bootcamp Island replays from the last tournament if anyone is interested in watching them (Have fun Blondus).
Attachments
Bootcamp Island AY vs psampson 2.zip
(8.19 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Bootcamp Island AY vs psampson 1.zip
(8.03 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Here are my round 2 replays from the last tournament.
Attachments
Island Hopping AY vs Matto 2.zip
(11.49 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Island Hopping AY vs Matto 1.zip
(11.27 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Admiral Yamamoto
AdmiralYamamoto
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Here are my round 3 replays from the last tournament.
Attachments
Fleet Command AY vs Weizinhie 2.zip
(13.56 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Fleet Command AY vs Weizinhie 1.zip
(13.73 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Admiral Yamamoto

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”