Private First Class - Opel Blitz

I'm looking for an opponent

Post by Trencapins2 »

Hello!
Either side.
Experience 6 (1-10)
Standard rules
I don't mirror I just have the time for one game.
One sure answer a day.
best european time.

Thanks a lot!!
Jimbonsx
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: I'm looking for an opponent

Post by Jimbonsx »

Hello Trencapins2
I'm interested if you're still looking.
I can play either side, standard rules.
I've played 4 PBEM games (2 mirrored pairs) and I'm currently playing Allies in my 5th.
Do you have the fixes for the Allied units recurring spawn after Egypt surrenders, and the Med Allied permissible builds?
GMT, England.

Jimbonsx
Trencapins2

Post by Trencapins2 »

Good morning Jimbonsx!
Yes, I still have a free game.

I have version 4.29 which is downloadable on the Slitherine page.
It's the version I play with two other players.
I only play that version.
Standard default rules.
If you want an ally side, give me your email.
If you want German side trencapins@hotmail.com
Metaspace
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Metaspace »

Hi, I am also looking for a game. I have mostly played GS 3.0, not tried 4.0 yet (not convinced the added complexity is worth in terms of fun).
I play Allies and Axis, as you like. I would consder myself pretty experienced.
Jimbonsx
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Jimbonsx »

Excellent. 4 is better, much better! There have been many 'buggy' issues fixed. I like to play mirror games but if you only want 1 at a time I'm happy too. I'm on GMT and can usually get several turns a day in. If you're happy to go ahead just pick a side and we can start.
Jim
Metaspace

Post by Metaspace »

Hey there, very nice you answer so fast :-)

I am afraid with work and family I will perhaps be able to make one or even two turns a day in the early stages (but not always), but less when, e.g., Russia enters the game - but for that I hope to be able to give a a good challenge :-)

Would you care to briefly elaborate the advantages of 4.0? I am aware the air ranges have been modified, but not how this impacts strategy.
The additional unit types to fill the spaces, e.g., between INF and MINF, and allow more flexibility in certain situations or theatres. Do they see much use?

Ok, the new leader assignment mechanic is nice, although the fact you cannot use the unit after assignment was not that much of a problem.

And I have no clue how the espionage plays out :-)
Metaspace

Post by Metaspace »

One more question: Is it possible to have GS 3.0 and 4.0 installed in parallel? I'm currently playing a GS 3.0 game with a friend - in theory, we are at turn 5, and he takes about 2 weeks for a turn :-)
Jimbonsx
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Jimbonsx »

I can honestly say I've never tried parallel installs on the same machine - I think there would be a Registry issue though.
Re: playing speed - I'd rather be playing than not, so I am always happy to go at the speed of my opponent. I'm fortunate in that I work from home and my kids have long since left home.

4.0 vs 3.0: I've made some points in one of your other posts, but here goes.
(Caveat: I can't remember if some of these points are features already in 3.0 or not, so bear with me.)

The weather in Central Europe has been modified slightly, October and March brings a very small (5%)chance of Snow. Extremely annoying to have snow messing with the assault on the Low Countries (if you're fortunate to get Clear weather in early October, especially when it's followed by Clear weather the next turn).
Increased offensive FTR range just pre-empts the Level 1 Air lab research into Strategic Ops, so the impact is far less; probably the biggest impact is to move the Focus point to Air Superiority. The Interception range is shorter but that is an option that can be removed in the initial game settings - I keep it in.
The additional Infantry unit-types - a very good improvement. Cavalry units may seem an anachronism but only whilst the horse icon is showing! An extra movement point, slight increase in Shock, these units are a must for the Axis when (if?) they get to Iraq and the USSR. Mountain troops have a definite defensive advantage in mountains, so the occasional investment in these units can really pay off for terrain-specific operations.
Leaders - yes, the extra movement allowance for GAR units is great. You can't place a leader on a unit that has operated in some capacity during the turn, but you can place it on an unused unit and then use it.
Espionage - there is no 'espionage' game element that you have any influence over. It's designed to allow nations that don't invest in Labs of a particular type to gain (very) marginal increments in the research level of things. It's meant to represent the acquisition of intelligence on the opposition through things like captured equipment as well as the James Bond stuff.
Metaspace

Post by Metaspace »

Hi community,

anyone interested in a game?
Having played Allies in the last three games (even if in part dating back quite a bit), I would prefer playing Axis this time.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Kevin McCarthy
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Kevin McCarthy »

Metaspace, I am looking for an opponent if you are still keen.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : Opponent Finder”