Centimetric Radar adds a Radar range of 8 to all aircraft :!:

Centimetric Radar(2).jpg
Centimetric Radar(2).jpg (280.64 KiB) Viewed 215 times
JoaoLuisAngelo
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Magnetron Radar description

Post by JoaoLuisAngelo »

Ok, I have only played "Boot Camp" and "US Pacific".

The Kingfisher ship-based reconnaissance has a sight range of three tiles and can detect (radar) ships and aircraft a further three tiles.
The Catalina reconnaissance has a sight range of four tiles and can detect (radar) ships and aircraft a further two tiles.

I read this as having a radar range of six tiles as standard without the need for any specialization.

The "Centimetric Radar" description is IIUC misleading in saying that it adds a radar range of five tiles: what it does add is a range of ***eight*** tiles. The Catalina will see its customary four tiles and detect a further four tiles (radar 8 ), not five (radar 9).

In your example for the "Magnetron radar" the enemy aircraft contact is indeed five tiles away but if you look closely the airfield six tiles away is brighter than the seventh tile further away. All tiles four to six tiles away are brighter than standard FOW tiles. The "Magnetron radar" does nothing for aircraft.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

You're right, the Magnetron Radar does nothing to aircraft :?
The position of the enemy aircraft was visible because it was positioned next to the aerodrome.
JoaoLuisAngelo

Post by JoaoLuisAngelo »

terminator wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:46 pm (...) was visible because it was positioned next to the aerodrome.
Huh, no. The aerodrome had nothing to do with visibility. In both cases the aircraft was visible because it was ***inside*** the radar range. I brought up the aerodrome in the Magnetron image only because a) to its upper left border you can see the tile is darker i.e. outside of radar range; and b) the aerodrome is six tiles away from the spotting aircraft.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

The airfield plays a role, I did the test because that’s what misled me. Indeed, by not placing the enemy aircraft next to the aerodrome, it is easy to realize that the Magnetron Radar plays no role for aircraft.
JoaoLuisAngelo

Post by JoaoLuisAngelo »

terminator wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:11 am The airfield plays a role, I did the test because that’s what misled me. Indeed, by not placing the enemy aircraft next to the aerodrome, it is easy to realize that the Magnetron Radar plays no role for aircraft.
This makes no sense to me unless... if you had the aircraft placed in the aerodrome (landed) and not above it (airborne). A landed aircraft is a ***land*** unit and thus is never detected by radar.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

It seems to me that there is an old bug that makes an enemy plane taking off from a base visible in part (?)
JoaoLuisAngelo

Post by JoaoLuisAngelo »

terminator wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:20 am It seems to me that there is an old bug that makes an enemy plane taking off from a base visible in part (?)
I don't know. IIUC you designed a scenario to show off the radar range. You could have placed the aircraft as airborne over the aerodrome and when you ran the scenario the AI switched it to landed. I don't know how to use the scenario editor but you might want to test it: in the Magnetron set-up you could place seven aircraft as airborne over and around the aerodrome; if in the first player turn the radar shows an aircraft above the aerodrome then it is working as intended; likewise if there's no radar contact the aircraft became "landed" and you can further confirm it by lifting the FOW with the console command "#orbitalcommand".

Return to “Order of Battle Bug Submissions”