Looking for a good enemy

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

obi_trice1465
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Looking for a good enemy

Post by obi_trice1465 »

Hey. Im looking for a decent player to vs. Im happy to go either faction and do a few turns a day or whatever. Im currently playing 3 other ppl atm and even though its still early in the war im getting the feeling there pretty average. My username is obi_trice1465. My steam username is sillysausage1465.

Thanks.
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Looking for a good enemy

Post by nehi »

im anything but not average :lol:

set up 1914 for both sides private and send me pass, other scenarios are not well balanced for mp...

1915-6-7 absolutely unfair for cp, 1918 lasts just 20 rounds when 60 needed (its well balanced, so advancing is very slow)
Housies
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Housies »

nehi wrote:im anything but not average :lol:

set up 1914 for both sides private and send me pass, other scenarios are not well balanced for mp...

1915-6-7 absolutely unfair for cp, 1918 lasts just 20 rounds when 60 needed (its well balanced, so advancing is very slow)
I can second that. Be wary if you accept the challenge of nehi.
Since I played a game against him I've been crying for days :cry:
Schmacki
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Schmacki »

I also played nehi and he defeated me totally within 30 turns. But I find it interesting to experience his very special tactics. If you only play because you want to win first of all he is no good match. But if you like new experiences and are playing to lern to adopt to new players and their way of playing I can suggest to play him.
greetings
Schmacki
teletabicus
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by teletabicus »

Yes, it s true, i can testify that nehi is the top and if u play with him u learn a lot of things
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

I'm kind of a traditional player in MP, which means I kept all of the assets of a given side, often dispensing with needless SGs, to gain economic traction. However, when I played nehi, I discovered the reason why I could not find any of his fleets (?): He had disbanded all of them! That took quite a few turns to figure out, in the meantime he went on a ground unit building frenzy, which had me backed up on my heels for a while until I could figure a course of action to slow the onslaught and get an idea or educated guess as to what his strategy was all about. It clearly was not a traditional MP match, like so many I have had before over the years. His style of play was to "bull-rush" the opponent on land, however he left his PP production vulnerable, as well as supply convoys, thus attacking them I was able to hobble his aggressive strategy and tactics. IIRC he caved in 1915 or so, then it was just a game of attrition till the final collapse of his CP. We had another match or 2 going after that, but I did not find it as enjoyable as having a traditional MP match, which made me tire of the game in MP. It was just not his style of play, but also others, who were mass producing air power (I found myself guilty of doing that too), which really throws the game off, unrealistic... In summary: I found I had to play the game the way my opponent played (knowing his side was going to be a distortion of the actual events of WW I), which to me took the joy out of playing the game.... Of course I cannot blame the players, for the devs sadly did nothing to counteract or update the game features for improvements, due to their own reasons. I felt it was a good game to begin with, but had lost it's way and became stale. My interests are still there for the game, however it's been more to help others with their problems and to watch and read their interactions with the game. I have contributed to many AARs over at the Matrix CTGW forum, which spanned a number of updates, clearly there were high times with the CTGW experience..... :)
nehi

Post by nehi »

ive played like 1st of my mp games with u (in single i didnt have to care about economy, always enough pps), u and tridic, first games, first and almost last losses :lol:

then have beaten me just ffire31 when i showed him how to defend... that was the breaking point, it was time to end childish games in france and make it total war, then i didnt lose a single game even as cp in 1914 8)

i keep just necessary navy, i keep just necessary units at all

unfortunately u dont want to see my improvements, but cp side is not as desperate as it looks in 1914

the game has only one real problem, upkeep for sg, it gives entente like +90pps every turn, thats an awfull advantage, when cp have just +30, to play more "realistic" game without airforce spam needs just to keep sg up

anyway i hope for the first time can my fast advance beat any unprepared entente for it 8)
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

There's 2 players from Croatia that I thought were real good, that is "Croatshade" and "SAME". Croateshade had a similar play to yours, but not as sophisticated, if he felt the tide was turning on him he would just up and quit. SAME is a devilish player, somewhat innovative and pretty much played in the traditional sense, but a little outside the box than I had expected, again, if he did not get his way, he'd drop out early, always felt his competiveness. There's a couple of players from Australia and New Zealand, they too were starting to make hay out of the traditional game, but not radically as you (nehi).. What I would see, on a case by case basis, was players exploiting flaws in the game (this also included myself) and making the best of it, not all these flaws were insurmountable to beat back, but they "could have and should have" been corrected by the devs. Yes, it's true, if you catch a player who is unwise to your style of play, they could quickly be toast, very frustrating to be in that spot. The old saying goes: Fool me once---Shame on you, Fool me twice----Shame on me....
nehi

Post by nehi »

but i developed it a lot, its not about unwise opponent, u still talk about my first mp game

unwise opponents can be smashed with just starting units

i guess it could surprise even u 8)

to stop it needs both, accurate planning and finest execution on battlefield

edit: funny, ive just faced SAME today, he has unusual opening for germans, but in comparison to me, its like ride with half pressed gas pedal :lol: so far im holding all french cities plus antwerps and im digged in two rows allready in main directions of his next possible attacks, paris far away, teletabicus perform better/best ive met so far (one of best maneuvering out there in general), he took me calais for a while, didnt touch paris, but was just 1 hex close to it

edit2: but now he (SAME) stoped playing with me (trapped in the west, penetrated from the east) and its setting new games all the time, on top of that he has blocked private messages here and didnt quit our game....
Last edited by nehi on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Housies

Post by Housies »

Nehi is right. The Devs killed the game with the upkeek for SG's. Disband those and you have too many PP's which means you can go for air force etc, on top of classical ground forces.
Nehi is not to blame for exploiting the flaws of the game. But I follow Operating that the WWI feeling of the game has been lost this way.
nehi

Post by nehi »

trenches are so strong, that they are just impenetrable without airforce

but i think when both sides will keep sg up, airforces will be lowered to reasonable level and through it also 1915-1916-1917 scenarios will make sense

vs operating i didnt do anything special, ive restructuralized my army to wehrmacht later

from single player i was used to just spam units in all directions and walk through the countries across the europe :lol:
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Oh, I'm sure that nehi has improved and fine tuned his game, without a doubt and probably the best player out there that I know of, although there are plenty of others who are highly competitive and surprisingly good, even in the traditional mode. Catching nehi is like being in the position of a coach of a professional sports team that has developed a game plan (having knowledge about how nehi plays). All the coach can do is hope his plan execution hits a soft spot in nehi's strategy, however I'd guess there is about a 20% chance of that happening. I wished some of you guys would do comprehensive AARs, it's sorely lacking here at Slitherine CTGW, if it were a video AAR explaining what is going on, would be superb. Personally I would enjoy seeing that and I am sure others would be in agreement... I'm still having trouble with breaking down the wall of having MP "game burn-out", regardless, still have immense interest in how others play...
nehi

Post by nehi »

im bit lazy to make aar, but maybe match with u could make me more agile :lol:

that sounds more like it is than unwise opponents (that they just need to know whats coming)

soft spot is cp economy, what cp can do, entente can do twice... so its "just" about delay me enough long to profit from ententes production advantage, but there it comes, ive discovered that taking down serbia is like 15% or more morale loss to all other in entente alliance

so it needs just to take paris and neighbour cities, line rouen-paris-dijon looks enough to break france when serbia is -completely- down

sometimes i needed orleans and (or) lyon, maybe it has something to do with morale drop through the casaulties

1914 its all about france and serbia (and other scenarios too, russia first plan is impossible vs experienced player, to break russia (before serbia + france) needs warsaw+petrograd(or moscow), it will take years to cut through that wood, on top of that russia is a monster with +50 pps bonus from sg)
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

I played literally hundreds of CTGW MP matches, but it got to the point where I could not play another turn of a game that is broken, that needs to be fixed and that there are people who just do not care. Goading me into another match does not make the game any better, it just makes me want to puke. I fought for the betterment of this game and have failed, due to the lack of cooperation from those who could see it through. It's ugly as to what has happened, or rather what has not happened. I put countless hours into doing AARs and commentaries, including research to promote this game here and at other web sites, in short: I've reached a dead end. But for some darn reason I keep coming back here hoping to hear some good news, however as time goes by the news becomes ever so distant, it's a horrible silence.
nehi

Post by nehi »

ive played nonliterally just tens of mp matches, but so far i see just one ingame problem with sg upkeep which breaks economy

it can be avoided when both sides agree to keep em up

everything else is about peoples taste, aircraft is not overpowered, its the only way to break impenetrable trenches (i guess u remember long and unsuccesfull besieging of warsaw)

overpowered its just when brutally massed through the broken economy (in fact one sg has same upkeep as one aircraft, it can be in extreme like +90 aicraft units for entente and +30 aicraft units for cp, i had like 50 one time, 35 in the west and 15 in the east as entente, opponent left the game, when i told him he understimated their numbers, he guessed its just 20 :lol: )

Return to “Commander the Great War : Opponent Finder”