I finely figured out how Camouflage works.

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Grimwar
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

I finely figured out how Camouflage works.

Post by Grimwar »

The description of Camouflage is a bit miss leading. [Camouflage > Can only be detected by recons or adjacent ground units]
I got this hero early in the SCW campaign and was trying to figure out how to use it.

i had captured 25 units of the 152mm, which is basically a 15cm gun [AT and Arty support] so I set up a basic trap. just after a river bridge i set up the camo arty, left flank Spanish inf on the clear terrain, center a recon, and a tank on hills on the right flank.
As it was a map where you had to hold on to x amount of victory hex's, i had plenty of time to re-organize my forces and had set up a small forward force of a recon unit and a Tank.
i managed to destroy their recon and retreated my forward uint's to the south. 2 turns later their infantry and tank units attacked my small bridgehead.
The camo hero worked and i was very happy.
I went back to the deployment save and over strengthed the arty, but i kept being discovered on the next few tries of that scenario?
After a few re-runs, i was totally complexed, Why is my forward camo unit been spotted? I even thought this is a bug!

SO i went back to the start and my initial goals for this scenario. (1) Tank overruns, (2). exp, and (3) kills for the awards medals. Funny i was almost at the same setup on my first camo try, but this time i had the 203mm counterbattery gun on a hilltop, 5 range and i successfully i did a few counter-battery. I guess the counter-battery fire exposed my artillery as it was way behind my front line. I had my 8.8 AA, OS at15, and the Camo Hero on a hill 4 tiles away.
(after several tries at the camo hero, i had given up and forgotten to reduce its overstrength)

A tack Bommer attacks the 203mm and the 88 kills it, 3 waves of fighters also attack also dead, i was like wow. But then i realize that the air spotting on their fight path will also discover a camo unit.

Once you understand how Camo works, it's easy to figure out, keep your CAMOI AT or Arty away from your front-line support, but put a AA uint there. let the enemy recon have a look, then force the recon back and kill or cripple it. Then swap the AA to the Camo unit to the Support position. What looked like an easy win for the AI, now turns into a death trap. [should stop the Ai from using air units] to discover your camo unit.
nexusno2000
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: I finely figured out how Camouflage works.

Post by nexusno2000 »

Really didn't understand this.

Are you saying the camo hero works? It sure does. And not only that but the AI can't remember the board state so gleefully suicides multiple times.
Green Knight
https://www.youtube.com/c/GreenKnight2001
Grimwar

Post by Grimwar »

you may have misunderstood what i was trying to figure out. Why some times my Camouflage unit was discovered. BTW love your youtube vids :D
it was a plane going to attack a distant target. if its flight path took it within one tile of your Camouflaged unit, It is discovered.
Also if you move the Camouflage unit after the AI's start, but fail to kill their plane, the return flight path will discover your new Camouflaged units position.
Edmon
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Edmon »

Grimwar wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:39 pm you may have misunderstood what i was trying to figure out. Why some times my Camouflage unit was discovered. BTW love your youtube vids :D
it was a plane going to attack a distant target. if its flight path took it within one tile of your Camouflaged unit, It is discovered.
Also if you move the Camouflage unit after the AI's start, but fail to kill their plane, the return flight path will discover your new Camouflaged units position.
Any unit, including an air unit, will see a camo unit that is next to it at any moment. This includes while the plane is flying along. Only units with the "recon" trait will see it in their full vision radius.

Best way to use Camo is on a unit that is at the rear of your group, away from where the enemy is. That why you won't be accidentally detected by aircraft flying at your frontline.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”