Zombies are coming to town, in this Field of Glory 2 Mod

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Zombies are coming to town, in this Field of Glory 2 Mod

Post by rs2excelsior »

An Imperial Roman legion, responding to reports of a slave uprising, reported an approaching mob of rabble just as dusk fell. Despite being fatigued from the day's march, the legion formed for battle, auxiliaries taking a position at the edge of a rough terrain, steep hill, and the main body of legionnaires taking the more level, open ground to their right. As the enemy approached and charged the Roman lines, the horrifying truth became clear--this was no mere slave revolt. The legions showed their characteristic discipline and pressed forward despite the situation, while the auxiliaries held the line to their left. A cohort and the tribune in charge of the first line pressed forward too far and was outflanked by the dead, their formation fragmenting and the tribune being torn apart as he attempted to rally the wavering troops. The legionnaires re-dressed their lines under the eye of the primus pilus and held until support could arrive. On the left the auxiliaries were holding their ground despite casualties, until those casualties began rising once again and struck the auxiliaries in the rear. Their line collapsed, but reinforcing legions were able to stabilize the situation. Sunrise saw the Romans battered but holding, and the zombies dispersed in the dawn light.

This is a really cool mod! Didn't have too much trouble holding the line with Imperial legions (the one that got a pushback and advanced too far was the only one that was in trouble, besides a mediocre legion cohort in severely disordering terrain), although the Auxiliaries caved when a zombie spawned in the rear. I agree that zombies probably shouldn't fall back, although it was nice to have some breathing room :) I did notice several zombie units near the end basically standing there and taking fire from my light troops, not really trying to move or attack. It would be difficult to win by killing every single zombie, it seems.
Karvon wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:56 am1. As the zombies don't suffer disruption or fragmentation, flank and rear attacks are much less decisive. For the same reason, I wouldn't bother with missile troops in such battles.
I'm only working off of one battle, but IMO missile troops are helpful. My massed archer auxiliaries could inflict as many or more casualties as my legions (tightly packed unarmored enemies), and without taking any casualties which might decide to get back up later in the battle. They can't fire as much once battle lines join, of course. I'm curious to try an army like the Assyrians or Persians with lots of archers, just to see how well that works--although the poor armor would probably not do well for them once contact is made.
Tresantes
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Tresantes »

Look, this is no doubt against forum rules, (so mods feel free to delete if you think I have crossed a line here) but if you like the idea of the undead vs classical warriors, then you may like my novel, ‘Freaks and Greeks’, which is a retelling of the Battle of Marathon. In my version, the Persians have sought to weaponise a deadly sickness sweeping the ancient world (originally unleashed by the pharaohs in their quest for immortality) and it is up to Miltiades of Athens to stem the tide and keep the fledging democracy alive...

I won’t add any direct links, but if you google you can find pretty easily (Timothy Bowden)
gbaby
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by gbaby »

Okay, so this is getting a bit much.

I know the USA is so Zombie interested, but for me, I don't know why. I have fiends that are so Zombie everything, it just befuddles me.

I think any mod for FOG II is great, but Zombies is a bit much, for me anyway. I applaud the modder, excellent work, but of no interest to me and I'm sure, maybe to other folks. However, since I know Zombie is such an interest, I can accept it. I just find it a bit uninteresting, for me.

Why would I even post this nonsense? Well, it is a problem with FOG II mod sharing. I love mods, I love user scenarios. But I do not like my "download user mods/scenarios" screen to be filled with mods and scenarios I have no interest in. My global download has "Zombie" staring at me and occupies my download list, and I don't have any interest, and wish it would just go away.

This is not an issue at this time, since the list is so short (I download everything else), but in the future, I sure would like an option to remove these "uninterested" items from my download list.

This is not a knock to Zombie fans or the modder. All mods are appreciated and I congratulate everyone with new ideas, but I would like to "clean up" or filter my user community download list to not include mods that I not only wish to not download, but not constantly display on my download options list.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

jomni wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 am
pompeytheflatulent wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 am
jomni wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:17 am

Thanks for the report. This didn't come up during my test multiplayer. Can you mention the conditions?
I didn't make the game so I don't have the details. Hendricus created the game, he was playing Babylonian and I was Zombies. He created a second game later where he played Zombies. In both games the Zombies suffered cohesion drops from shooting and flank charges.
Thanks. Will investigate.
Hi. I made some test myself Babylonian vs zombies. No cohesion drops for the zombies from shooting or flank charge. Can you check out what's in your MoraleTools.BSF? You can find the file here. C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER\FOGZ MULTIPLAYER V1.0.2\DATA\SCRIPTS. There should be entries called //Zombies don't rout, etc.
chee006
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by chee006 »

Greatly appreciate the continuous support and effort that has been given to this game!
https://avidwargamer.com/
pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

jomni wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:50 am
pompeytheflatulent wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 am

I didn't make the game so I don't have the details. Hendricus created the game, he was playing Babylonian and I was Zombies. He created a second game later where he played Zombies. In both games the Zombies suffered cohesion drops from shooting and flank charges.
Hi. I made some test myself Babylonian vs zombies. No cohesion drops for the zombies from shooting or flank charge. Can you check out what's in your MoraleTools.BSF? You can find the file here. C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\MULTIPLAYER\FOGZ MULTIPLAYER V1.0.2\DATA\SCRIPTS. There should be entries called //Zombies don't rout, etc.
I opened it and checked with notepad, the Zombies don't rout script is in there. I also ran a single player game with Zombies and they don't rout. So it was just those 2 multiplayer games that had the zombies taking cohesion checks and routing.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:58 am

I opened it and checked with notepad, the Zombies don't rout script is in there. I also ran a single player game with Zombies and they don't rout. So it was just those 2 multiplayer games that had the zombies taking cohesion checks and routing.
Which suggests that it may be your opponent who had the wrong MoraleTools.BSF file (or lacked the modded one in the mod folder).
Richard Bodley Scott

kvnrthr

Post by kvnrthr »

Fun mod! I played a game on level 2 difficulty using Macedonians 328 BC (if I recall correctly) against the zombies. This is a really ideal battle for phalanxes who quite happily fight in a melee, while the citizen hoplites actually did pretty well also. Very important not to go charging into the zombies, they will probably go charging into you anyway so no need to risk push backs.

I actually found light foot and light horse to be very useful. The zombies ended up bunching up at a choke point, instead of flanking me, so I made sure to bring light troops around and keep shooting into the back of the unengaged zombies. The projectile weapons kill almost as well as even the highest POA advantage melee battle, at no risk to your troops. So by the time the front rank of zombies was wiped out the next zombie unit would be depleted.

I wonder how a horse archer army would do against these zombies. No doubt it would be a very long and sluggish battle but the zombies have absolutely no way to fight them as they keep firing off shots, especially the slippery light horse.
pompeytheflatulent

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:08 pm
pompeytheflatulent wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:58 am

Which suggests that it may be your opponent who had the wrong MoraleTools.BSF file (or lacked the modded one in the mod folder).
I created another multiplayer game with me playing the zombies, zombies still taking cohesion drops.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

SP & MP versions have now been updated to v1.03 for compatibility with FOG2 v1.5.28.

They can be downloaded in game, in the usual way.
Richard Bodley Scott

vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

Does this mean we are one step closer to a Lord of the Rings mod for FOG2?

Return to “Field of Glory II”