Army list retains base game name in MP Lobby

Moderator: rbodleyscott

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Army list retains base game name in MP Lobby

Post by kronenblatt »

This is interesting (I believe you've noticed the same thing, RBS). In this module (Imperial Soil Revisited) with renamed army lists, the army list retains its original (side?) 'name' (Central in this mod is actually a Papal army list).

Is that a bug or a mere modding oversight at my end (and, if the latter, what would I need to add to the mod then)?

kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Re: Army list retains base game name in MP Lobby

Post by kronenblatt »

It seems that the games (goes for Ancients as well as Medieval) doesn't read or use the modules' Side Names (IDS_SIDENAME_XXX) for the PLAYER column in the Multiplayer Lobby. So that if there is one in the base game, it uses that one (and not the one in the module) and if there isn't (such as in modules with new Side IDs and Names), there's an error message instead (MISSING_IDS_SIDENAME_XXX).

Because in the Imperial Soil Revisited module example in the opening post, there's an alternative Side Name for an existing Side ID:

IDS_SIDENAME_116, "Central",

But the PLAYER column still shows the base game's data:

IDS_SIDENAME_116, "Papal",

Is there a fix coming up for this soon, for Ancients and Medieval?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:34 pm
Is there a fix coming up for this soon, for Ancients and Medieval?
Yes, when Slitherine are back in action after the break. (They will then probably take a couple of weeks to release the update).

The currently planned fix will show the side names correctly if the player has that mod installed.

It will, however, show the vanilla names if the string exists in the vanilla game, but the index has been reused in the mod, IF the player does NOT have that mod installed. But then they can't accept the challenge anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

This is because the tooltip for the left-hand column of the MP lobby is created when the challenge is created - at which point the strings from the mod have been loaded. But the strings in the Player column in the Accept Challenge screen are created on the individual system, and the correct string cannot be found if the Mod is not installed on that system. If no string of the correct index is found, it will just show (Side A) or (Side B). But if it does find a correctly indexed string, it will show that - which will be the vanilla string if the correct mod is not installed. (It can't show a string it has no way of reading).

For future mods I recommend not using SideIDs with indices that are used in the vanilla game. Some more side names will be added to the game in future update(s) so I suggest using indices above 400, which should be safe for the foreseeable future.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:32 pm Yes, when Slitherine are back in action after the break. (They will then probably take a couple of weeks to release the update). The currently planned fix will show the side names correctly if the player has that mod installed.
Sounds good: thanks.
rbodleyscott wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:32 pm It will, however, show the vanilla names if the string exists in the vanilla game, but the index has been reused in the mod, IF the player does NOT have that mod installed. But then they can't accept the challenge anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Agree: doesn't really matter.
rbodleyscott wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:32 pm For future mods I recommend not using SideIDs with indices that are used in the vanilla game. Some more side names will be added to the game in future update(s) so I suggest using indices above 400, which should be safe for the foreseeable future.
That goes for Ancients as well as Medieval?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:32 pm
rbodleyscott wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:32 pm For future mods I recommend not using SideIDs with indices that are used in the vanilla game. Some more side names will be added to the game in future update(s) so I suggest using indices above 400, which should be safe for the foreseeable future.
That goes for Ancients as well as Medieval?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Medieval Tech Support”