HOML 6 Rules, questions, updates.

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

tyronec
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

HOML 6 Rules, questions, updates.

Post by tyronec »

OVERVIEW.
Participants will be split up into divisions of 5 players each.
Players will play a mirror match against each opponent in their division, so a total of 8 games.
Players select a Home army when they enter.
Players will play 2 Home mirror matches (4 games) with their home army on their chosen map type.
Players will play 2 Away mirror matches (4 games) against their opponents home army on their chosen map type, the player sets up the match and can choose ANY historical army opponent for the match.
Hopefully the system will encourage more players to select armies that are less commonly used.
Scoring will be on the Percentage difference at the end of the battle.

TIMELINE.
6th April - 31st May (8 weeks).
You can enter now, entries will be closed sometime before 6th Aril so that all the divisions are full.

There will be three periods. Ancients, Medieval and Game of Thrones. You need to have all of the DLCs to play in Ancients or Medieval. You need the medieval base game to play in GoT.
Sign up here for Ancients https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 0#p1024800
Sign up here for Medieval https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114641
Sign up here for Game of Thrones https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 8#p1024808

Game of Thrones is a player module, it is not an official mod. It is free. You will need to download it and copy into your FoG Medieval folder as follows:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gagwjexq ... D.zip/file
Download the file, decompress it and copy folder AGOTv1.5_PATCHED into:
user/documents/my games/fieldofglorymedieval/multiplayer
AND if you want:
user/documents/my games/fieldofglorymedieval/campaigns
(the folder may be in a different place on different computers, it will be in the documents area and not where the game was downloaded to. On my computer it is c:users/Desktop PC/OneDrive/Documents/my games/fieldofglorymedieval/... It does take up space on the OneDrive so I only keep the MP version installed.)

And thanks to SmickeyMcgee and SnuggleBunnies for the mod and Rosedelio for the download.

Players may one or more periods. You do not need to have played in the HOML in the past. Players who are new to playing in the HOML or TDC will be restricted to one period. Players who have timed out in multiple matches in a previous HOML will also be restricted to one period.

To sign up submit your Home Army list and optionally a map set. Entries are not confirmed until you have submitted an army list.
Ancients; you can use any Ancient army.
Medieval; you can use any Medieval army.
GoT. Army selection is different from Ancients and Medieval, because there are less armies available. We will use the same system as for the TDC. Players select 3 army lists. Then in each division players will get their army list of in order of preference, from the lowest ranked player upwards. So the same army will be allowed to be used in different divisions, unlike in Ancients and Medieval.
There are NO Allies in ANY period.

Players are suggested to use an Army list that you have not previously used in for the HOML, TDC or WTC but you can if you want. You may not select an Army list that has already been chosen. There are no restrictions on multiple armies of the same nationality as long as they are for different dates.
You must have all Ancient/Medieval DLCs to enter those periods and the medieval base game to play in GoT.

Players are committing to completing 8 games within the 8 week time period.
You must post one challenge in week one and your second challenge by week 5.

I am not sure how many entries I will accept, will see how the process goes and aim to terminate it with full divisions and some players in reserve.

DIVISIONS.
I will rank players into divisions accordingly to:
1.Their HOML ranking from season 5
2.Earlier HOML ranking.
3.A modest estimate based on results in other competitions and/or Slitherine ranking.

There will be a table specifying which matches you play as a Home army and which as an Away army.

MATCHES.
All matches are Mirror match;
Ancients - 1600 points, Large/Wide map, Open Battle.
Medieval - 1600 points, Large/Wide map, Open battle.
GoT – 1200, Medium/Medium map, Open Battle.
The Away player sets up the match. They can choose any historical opponent to the Home army EXCEPT that same army or their own Home army. Leave ‘DATE’ and ‘GEOGRAPHICAL’ checked that will give you the list of valid armies that you can use. The Home player should check that their opponent has used a valid army, invalid matches will have to be replayed.
There are no Allies for either side.
Use the map that the Home army has selected, or ‘Pot Luck’ if they have not selected one.
So for example, the Home army is Irish (Bruce). The away army could be: Anglo-Irish, Irish, Breton, English, French or Scots of the appropriate dates.

Either of the two players can require a map reroll during deployment or on the first turn, so that is a maximum of two rerolls per match if both players separately request one. You can require your one map reroll even if your opponent is happy with the map that has come up. The Away player cannot change their mind about which army to use between rerolls. If you want a reroll just do it and reset up the match, you do not need to consult your opponent.

House Rule. No heavy artillery except guns can be used. So no heavy arty in Ancients. No trebuchets in Medieval.

SCORING.
Loser: takes their points. Never more than 60.
Winner: takes 120 minus the loser's points. Never less than 60.
If a player resigns then they get their score at that point.
If a player defaults then it is scored 90:0
Note: this scoring is slightly different from the TDC, it benefits players who win battles while taking low losses.

Examples:
result: 40-15. points: 105-15
result: 60-35. points: 85-35
result: 60:50. points: 70:50

Draws. Each player gets their points scored, with a maximum of 60.
Examples:
result: 25-15. points: 25-15
result: 63:61. points: 60:60

The scoring is not ideal if a player resigns or worse defaults. The best resolution of this is for everyone to complete all of their games in good time.

CHALLENGES.
The Away player makes the challenges, you do not make a challenge as the home player because you don’t know what army your opponent will use.
When you make a challenge then post it in the thread and send a PM. I need a record of the challenges in the thread to keep track of progress in the competition, so please post them !

If your second opponent uses the same army as your first opponent you can ask them to pick a different army, do this before accepting the challenge ! If you are about to issue a challenge part way through the competition you could PM your opponent to ask them what army their first challenger used.

When setting up the matches password protect them. Use the comment field to indicate the opponent.
All challenges must be responded to within one week, either accept it or agree to accept it at a later date. Once a challenge has been accepted then the games should be played.
If your challenge is ignored then PM me.

If a challenge has been set up incorrectly but the match has been started then either player can abort it within the first couple of turns, or if both are fine to continue then that is OK.

MAPS.
When players enter the competition they may optionally select a map for their Home army. To select a Map you need the Region (Med., N. Europe, Middle East, Tropical, Desert or Steppe) and the Type (Agricultural, Plains, Hilly, Wooded or Marshy - Mountain is excluded as it leads to maps being too restricted). Tropical, Tropical Marshy or Tropical Plains. Desert and Steppe have no type. The Regions for each army comes from the ARMYLIST.TXT file in the game.
If you do not select a map then ‘Pot Luck’ will be used.

For the GoT all map types are Pot Luck.

So for example if you have a Carthaginian army the region is Mediterranean and you can select Agricultural, Hilly, Wooded or Marshy OR you could go with Pot Luck which I think gives 70% Agricultural and 10% Hilly/Wooded/Mountain.
If you have a Scythian army your choice is either Steppe or Pot Luck.
The map types for each nationality included in the sign up thread.

TIMLINESS
1.All players must post one Away match during week one and their second one by week five.
2. All challenges must be responded to within a week. The response can be to accept it OR that you will accept it within a given time frame.
3. Once a game has been started you should aim to complete it within a month, that means playing a move most days. All turns must be returned within three days, unless by prior notice.
Players would generally be expected to average a turn a day or if it suits faster.
If a player defaults under 2 or 3 then their opponent can claim the game. If their opponent wants to allow them the opportunity to play on and the game is not completed by the end of the 8 weeks then the game will be defaulted.
If a player defaults on clause 1, or repeatedly on clauses 2 or 3 then they may be removed from the competition.
I will conduct checks to determine if the competition is progressing well enough. For that to function properly I need to have challenges posted in the thread and to know if any challenges have been ignored so please PM me if that is happening.

At the end of the competition if there are games outstanding then:
Players may agree that the game is complete on the present score OR one player may resign.
Any games still outstanding will be adjudicated, if a player does not respond to a PM then the game will be defaulted. So if a result is not recorded and I PM both players and only one replies then the game will go to them.

There is no good resolution to players not completing matches, I would appeal to all participants to play in a timely manner and if they see that they are not going to be able to complete a game then it is preferable to resign that to just disappear. Players who default may have their entries restricted in future HOMLs.

Last season's ratings:
Ratings 5.jpg
Ratings 5.jpg (140.91 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Last edited by tyronec on Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mairtin
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: HOML 6 Rules, questions, updates.

Post by Mairtin »

You might want to post this over on the medieval forum too. I only found out HOML 5 existed because a friend told me about it last time
MrCrow
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MrCrow »

Hi Tyronec,

this will be my first HOML and I've 4 questions:

1) I usually prefer to play no more then 2 paired battle at the same time. So In week one I plan to post a challenge (as stated in rules) and to accept one of the 2 away challenge. If I've receive a second away challenge in week one, how I have to report that I will postpone it? Do I need to send a PM to you and to the challenger too? Or I need to state it in the challenge thread?

2) Is it ok if both of my away opponents choose the same faction?

3) Which is the "formula" used to calculate the starting ranking for "new" people like me? I've never played a tournament except 2 slitherine tournaments in 2022...

4) Which is the "formula" used to calculate the ending ranking?

Thank you
tyronec
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by tyronec »

1. Just PM your opponent when you want to start if they issue a challenge and you want to hold off picking it up for a while.
2. You can ask the second opponent to use a different army, BEFORE accepting the challenge !
3. I haven't fully decided yet, maybe R/100 - 8 where R is their Slitherine rating when the competition was posted.
4. It is based on the battle score X opponents ranking. If you PM me with your email can send you last year's spreadsheet.
tyronec
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by tyronec »

The Slitherine ranking system for map rerolls has only been tested in the Beta and is not live yet so would suggest not setting up games as Ranked for now.
tyronec
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by tyronec »

The following players have not posted any challenges (as they are required to by week 1) and when I sent them PM have not picked it up, looks like they have dropped out.
oriel
RussellGardener1964
Walasurious
DirtyMark 
Arthurius
eobrian2
MrCrow
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MrCrow »

tyronec wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 am The following players have not posted any challenges (as they are required to by week 1) and when I sent them PM have not picked it up, looks like they have dropped out.
oriel
RussellGardener1964
Walasurious
DirtyMark 
Arthurius
eobrian2
Hi Tyronec,

what will happen to the battles with those players if they do not play at all? For example, in my division i need to play 2 battles against eobrian2: if he doesn't play at all with anyone till the end of the tournament, will I score 90:0 in both or 0:0?
tyronec
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by tyronec »

what will happen to the battles with those players if they do not play at all? For example, in my division i need to play 2 battles against eobrian2: if he doesn't play at all with anyone till the end of the tournament, will I score 90:0 in both or 0:0?
Will score them 90-0.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”