New to Panzer Corps in 2023

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Jack59
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

New to Panzer Corps in 2023

Post by Jack59 »

I am new to Panzer Corps 2 as of November 2023. I just have the basic game and have just finished the Poland campaign. I played these different scenarios with two generals with different traits each choosing different trees. The question that comes up, is picking traits cheating against the computer? Would not picking any traits be harder or easier? The AI does not pick its own traits. I can see picking different traits each time gives the player a different slant each game, opening up the enjoyment level of the puzzle. As far as far as I can tell the computer AI starts its same troop deployment in the same positions each time. I almost always won a scenario the first time. The next time I repeated the scenario with better intelligence and mixed up my starting initial unit deployments, thus wining sooner.

My first game not knowing what to do, I picked randomized traits. One of the negative traits was no replacements. I lost that game not realizing that meant I could not reinforce my troops either. The second try I won on turn 20. I retired that general, since I did not know how to play the game yet. Choosing a general level with limited prestige seems a better way to go.
robman
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: New to Panzer Corps in 2023

Post by robman »

Choosing traits is key to the game. For the vanilla campaign, try Fear of Unknown and No Overstrength as negative traits (these affect basic gameplay the least) and experiment with different positive traits. “Panzer General” is selected by default, but there are many other (and in my opinion) better ways to spend those two points. Have fun!
DefiantXYX
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by DefiantXYX »

The traits are hit and miss. By chosing crazy combinations you can have multiple playthroughs that feal really new and exciting. On the other side you can break the balance by picking some negative traits that are basically free points and some positive traits oder ridiculously overpowered.

Imo you should do a whole playthrough of the vanilla campaign without picking any crazy traits. You can adjust the basic difficulty if it feels to hard/easy. After that you should really start with the DLCs. They are amazing, aber tbh the game really start with the grand campaign.
PanzerCro
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by PanzerCro »

Jack59 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:14 pm I am new to Panzer Corps 2 as of November 2023. I just have the basic game and have just finished the Poland campaign. I played these different scenarios with two generals with different traits each choosing different trees. The question that comes up, is picking traits cheating against the computer? Would not picking any traits be harder or easier? The AI does not pick its own traits. I can see picking different traits each time gives the player a different slant each game, opening up the enjoyment level of the puzzle. As far as far as I can tell the computer AI starts its same troop deployment in the same positions each time. I almost always won a scenario the first time. The next time I repeated the scenario with better intelligence and mixed up my starting initial unit deployments, thus wining sooner.

My first game not knowing what to do, I picked randomized traits. One of the negative traits was no replacements. I lost that game not realizing that meant I could not reinforce my troops either. The second try I won on turn 20. I retired that general, since I did not know how to play the game yet. Choosing a general level with limited prestige seems a better way to go.
No it isn't. For every positive trait you need to give up something. The more positives you want to have the biggest price you need to pay, like denied art or airforce. My traits currently in AO are : positive - Liberator, AA veteran, Force concentration, Killer team. Negative one's are Denied arty and trench slog. :)
Jack59

Post by Jack59 »

Thanks for the Information guys! I just finished playing the Spanish Civil war DSL. Each time I tried different traits I felt like I was cheating, so I played it without traits (vanilla). I noticed right away the game was more challenging. The AI made it difficult to surround units and capture equipment. Gathering prestige was also harder. Some times I think the briefing are deceiving.

The first battle that worried me was the Battle of the Ebro, since my lines collapsed and I was defeated. The briefing suggested that reinforcements may be coming late in the game. I checked some U-tube videos on the subject and noticed they started off with a lot more prestige($). Then I realized they played with enhanced by the traits. I feared maybe my lack of $ may be hampering me from completing the DSL. Restarting the battle with additional fighters and controlling the air did the trick. I held six objectives at the end of this defensive battle. Their were sure a lot of tanks on the other side of the Ebro to worry about!

Well the rest of the DSL was easier. Madrid fell on day 20 of 35. Now off to Czechoslovakia, playing vanilla. No super human traits for me. Thanks again for the advice.
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by jeffoot77 »

have you already played to panzer corps 1 ?

if not, you should play the first version; So better with all his mods. PC2 is so unrealistic.
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive (folders or zip versions) : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

jeffoot77 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:16 am have you already played to panzer corps 1 ?

if not, you should play the first version; So better with all his mods. PC2 is so unrealistic.
"Unrealistic"_Yes!, "nevertheless... still entertaining!"... I Agree!. If ever a PzC3 is ever developed... "Realism" based on actual historical proof of evidence of reality of that time-period needs to be strictly adhered too and portrayed or displayed.

For example: In "Barbarossa"... Russian forces "Never-Surrender-On Mass". Everyone fights to the Death... all the time!. There is rarely ever... if ever... any "Retreats"... by either side. Too much recently developed equipment is evident in great numbers on the Game-Screen...that shouldn't be there and was never historically actually realized... .

"Supply"_ "logistic" and "Replacement issues" are rarely if ever considered or applied!. "Morale" is not incorporated into the Game... to display or demonstrate the effectiveness of the combat units in the field.

Disruption of "Command and Control"... where it did take place... is never demonstrated... or implemented. And... So!... on it goes!.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

How to play PC2?

_ In options set your general traits to 10, so you don't take bad ones (you'll regreat).
_ Don't use any other options (such as mortal heroes or limited stock), they were added late and are not balanced nor well fit for the scenarios of campaigns.
_ Play in the strategic map (the tactical map gives not good enough scape) and learn its hexe codes (such as strategic goals).

All features in general are very good ideas, but are to be fitted for PC3: in PC2 they are awfully integered.
Last edited by ErissN6 on Tue May 07, 2024 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
stormbringer3
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by stormbringer3 »

If you want to play an excellent game get Panzer Corps Gold. That game has "normal heroes", they are attack, defense, movement, initiative, range and spotting. The forum for it is still active.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”