Need for greater historical accuracy for Indian Army Lists

Field of Glory II: Medieval

Moderator: rbodleyscott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Need for greater historical accuracy for Indian Army Lists

Post by rbodleyscott »

What about the Hindu South Indian 600-1049 AD list?

Here is the current version: (You can find it in the Time Warp Custom Battle module in FOG2 Medieval if you do not own FOG2 Ancients)

Hindu South 600-1049 (current release version).jpg
Hindu South 600-1049 (current release version).jpg (132.71 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Richard Bodley Scott

newbiesoldat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by newbiesoldat »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:16 am What about the Hindu South Indian 600-1049 AD list?

Here is the current version: (You can find it in the Time Warp Custom Battle module in FOG2 Medieval if you do not own FOG2 Ancients)

Hindu South 600-1049 (current release version).jpg
The Medieval Hindu South Lists seem to be fine now.

As for this, the 600-1049 list, this would include the powerful Chalukya and Rashtrakuta empires, and the Chola empire farther south, all in their heyday, as such I would increase the number of Cavalry due larger funds compared to the later regional south Indian states, it is to be noted that Rashtrakutas (early 8th century to late 10th century) in particular scored some impressive victories against the Rajput Pratihara empire, especially when they sacked the Imperial capital of Kannauj in 915, at the height of Pratihara empire when it held sway from Punjab to Bengal while having vassalized the region of Kabul and Multan (As per the 10th century text Hudud ul Alam). Hudud ul Alam also tells us that the Pratiharas had an army of around 800 elephants and 150,000 cavalry, so we can be sure that the Rashtrakutas would've had a considerable number as well to face them in constant.

Additionally, I think Idrisi (I'm not sure, could be another 10th century traveller) states that while the Pratiharas were known for their Cavalry, the Rashtrakutas, being amongst the Deccan ranges, relied on infantry, as such I would recommend increase in the Indian Close Fighters and Light Javelinmen, reflecting the recruits from the hilly regions.

6 Indian Lancers
10 Indian Light Horse
14 Indian Close Fighters
12 Indian Light Javelinmen
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott