Pike and Shot freezing on initial loading

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

bloodphoenix
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Pike and Shot freezing on initial loading

Post by bloodphoenix »

Hello,

Previously logged over a thousand hours playing "Pike & Shot", but haven't played it in awhile, and never on the new computer I'm now using.
Saw some screenshots online somewhere of a modded scenario I don't remember seeing back when I played, was intrigued by it, and decided to reinstall the game on my Steam Account.

It worked fine at first. But then I started going through the long list of player-added single and multi-player scenarios, downloading them. I would say I downloaded maybe two thirds of them before I decided to take a break from that
process and play one of the scenarios. When you choose one of the options at the bottom of the screen "historical", "skirmish", "campaign", etc, it will then go through a brief loading screen, where red will fill a progress bar. For most of
the options, from what I saw, the bar would fill more than once...and on about the third time, it gets to the same point in the bar (about half way) and then freezes. Control Panel reports "Pike and Shot" is not responding, and I wind up having
to do a hard reboot because I can't get it to close. As far as I know, I already have any patches installed.

I'm sure this is a simple fix - the game always ran very well before.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Pike and Shot freezing on initial loading

Post by rbodleyscott »

This is not something that has been reported before, so we don't have a ready solution.

However, perhaps the game is struggling with so many downloaded scenarios. Try deleting them (from Documents/MY GAMES/PSCAMP/CAMPAIGNS if you are using Pike and Shot: Campaigns rather than the earlier non-campaign version)), then only downloading the ones you want to try initially.

Let us know whether that fixes the issue.
Richard Bodley Scott

bloodphoenix

Post by bloodphoenix »

I followed your advice, deleted all of them and then installed about a dozen scenarios. It seems to be working fine now. Perhaps I was just trying to add too much all at once the first time I accessed a new install of the game.
Thanks for the help! And...thanks for many hours of great gaming! Field of Glory II: Medieval has been a fine addition to one of my favorite wargame series.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

bloodphoenix wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:48 am I followed your advice, deleted all of them and then installed about a dozen scenarios. It seems to be working fine now. Perhaps I was just trying to add too much all at once the first time I accessed a new install of the game.
I think there are too many available user content scenarios for the engine to cope with them all being installed. I don't know what the limit is, but presumably there is one. I suggest that you delete one each time you download a new one. (You can delete them from within the game).
Thanks for the help! And...thanks for many hours of great gaming! Field of Glory II: Medieval has been a fine addition to one of my favorite wargame series.
Glad you are enjoying it.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Tech Support”