Hidden Unit Tooltip

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Jorgito78
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Hidden Unit Tooltip

Post by Jorgito78 »

Maybe it's too late for this but would it be possible to add a tooltip to the units that indicates if they are effectively hidden? For exemple, a unit in rough ground shows it's state (ex: moderately disordered). So, if I place a unit on the woods, it would be great if something indicated me that the unit is hidden, since there are a lot of rules for hidding units that sometimes I wonder if a unit I placed is really hidden (ex: cavalry is visible in the extremities of woods even if they are inside the woods. Foot units are hidden, etc).

Also, when a unit shoots from concealment, it shows a pop-up "revealed" so there could be a tooltip indicating that it is hidden before shooting.
markleslie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Hidden Unit Tooltip

Post by markleslie »

Should you know if your own units are hidden?

Part of the fun of bushwacking is the surprise, that surprise goes both ways.
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Ray552 »

markleslie wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:02 am Should you know if your own units are hidden?

Part of the fun of bushwacking is the surprise, that surprise goes both ways.
Agreed - in "real life", how would you know you were or were not under observation (unless you saw light reflecting off a spyglass lens, etc.)?

Would you get a tingling in the back of your neck if a hidden enemy foot skirmisher unit in the tree line four squares away was staring at you?

You can take measures to minimize the chances of being spotted, assuming the nearest enemy unit is more than two squares away with a line of sight:

- Stay behind a hill or forest (infantry and cavalry)
- Hide in a forest square and not move, turn or fire (infantry). For cavalry, as you already mentioned, you have to put them one square back from the edge of the woods.
- Hide in a built-up area and not move, turn or fire (infantry)

So I disagree with the idea of a tooltip stating, "Congratulations! You are hidden from the enemy!" :D

Because you can never know 100% that a unit is not under observation, unless it's sitting still in the middle of a forest without any enemy units next to it.

On the flip side, if you want to avoid an ambush, send in the skirmishers to scout - that's one of their main jobs.

As General Patton supposedly said to a reconnaissance unit: "Just drive down that road, until you get blown up."
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Karvon »

You can use the LOS tool to check what you can see from a unit's spot. Unless you're in cover, as others have already pointed out, if you can see them, they can see you.

During deployment, you can check LOS from any spot in your deployment area by using a LF/LH. Thus you can scout out paths to see where people might spot you if you move into a place later in the game.

Karvon
Chaos Tourney and Little Wars Organizer, TDC V Early Medieval Coordinator
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

I even think the question mark (?) on the map, highlighting where enemy units could be hidden, is an overkill. Luckily it can be toggled on or off.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643

Return to “Field of Glory II”