Steel Tigers: Vapor Ware

Moderator: Slitherine Core

wwiiogre
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Steel Tigers: Vapor Ware

Post by wwiiogre »

I have been trying for years to get an answer from Slitherine about this game.

Is it being made?

I was lied to repeatedly by Slitherine employees about the progress and work on this game. During the making of War in the East 2 I and others were told that work had already started on this game. That tons had been done behind the scenes.

War in the East 2 has been released now for a long time.

What is the status of Steel Tigers?

It is not even listed as a game on this website. If you google Steel Tigers you get forum chat pages that are as old as 2019.

Is it vapor ware or not?

When I go to Slitherine chat rooms on Twitch or Youtube or even on steam. I get nothing but crickets, I don't know, and many times I got the line that it was being worked on but after War in the West, then after War in the East 2 etc.

Nobody seems to know, or if they do they don't or won't or cannot talk about this game.

I played Steel Panthers, Steel Panthers World at War to the tune of 10,000 plus hours. I bought ever single campaign ever put up for sale or dlc for Steel Panthers. I was a member of the Depot for more than 10 years.

Please tell us what is going on with Steel Tigers? Does someone need to buy the rights to Steel Panthers/Steel Tigers and make it instead of Slitherine? I mean a kickstarter seems like the way to go.

It seems to me there is something going on and nobody is talking about it.

Please clear this question up. Nothing I have heard has been good and every single person I have talked to over the last four years from Slitherine have been unhelpful at best and completely untrustworthy in their responses at worst.

Nobody likes being lied to over and over. Please is this game real or is it now DEAD?

Thanks,

Chris
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: Steel Tigers: Vapor Ware

Post by edb1815 »

Did you look in the Matrix forums for SP:WaW for answers? Here is a thread that may give a clue to your questions. To be fair to Slitherine/Matrix they were not the developers. See this thread:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 3&t=310653

Based on this thread and a look at the 2 by 3 website, which hasn't been updated since 2014, I'd say the idea is dead or shelved. Lots of current mods for SP:WaW though.

I thought that the Shrapnel Games/ Camo Workshop SPWWII and MBT were the only Steel Panthers games being updated. I loved SP back in the day but even that version doesn't cut it anymore and the graphics just hurt my eyes!
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

From what I understand Steel Tigers did start development several years ago by 2by3 games. 2by3 then stopped working on it for whatever reason. I doubt that Slitherine can force 2by3 to make a particular game, it's up to the developer to make the games that they want, Slitherine just support them and publish the game when it's ready, so I wouldn't criticise Slitherine over this.

I regularly watch the Slitherine Twitch Thursday afternoon tea time chat:

https://www.twitch.tv/slitherinetv/schedule

The host, Marco, is often asked about Steel Tigers. His recent replies are that Steel Tigers is not currently being worked on, but 2by3 games are currently developing some amazing projects. What those projects are he could not say.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

It is unlikely that you were "lied to over and over". We have been as open as possible about ST development. We paused it years ago for a number of reasons, and have tried to be straightforward when we have made changes to our stance.

We are aware of the many people excited about a reboot of the SP franchise, but we need to have all the moving parts in place if we want to make a game of the quality that we want, and that players deserve.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

It ain't coming, get over it.

Contact the Depot guys, find out how to get yer Steel Panthers installed for 2023, stop waiting for Steel Tigers.
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
mainsworthy
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by mainsworthy »

its because no one want to be compared as a dev against the orignal, I think they should just improve the original, buy running it in an emulator or something.
TDefender
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by TDefender »

MrsWargamer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:42 pm It ain't coming, get over it.

Contact the Depot guys, find out how to get yer Steel Panthers installed for 2023, stop waiting for Steel Tigers.
But there's a good news: "The Troop" has just left the early release status and it's a great game! with huge Steel Panther "flavour", maybe even better (but limited to Normady scenario). There is also a demo on Steam. :wink:
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

mainsworthy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:56 am its because no one want to be compared as a dev against the orignal, I think they should just improve the original, buy running it in an emulator or something.
Nah, it's not that complicated.

It was an idea, for a while. But they lost their window, the world moved on, Shrapnel did a continuing great job on their 2 releases, and the Depot guys have kept Steel Panthers functioning properly.

The world doesn't need Steel Tigers.
I CAN be reached
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

TDefender wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:05 pm

But there's a good news: "The Troop" has just left the early release status and it's a great game! with huge Steel Panther "flavour", maybe even better (but limited to Normady scenario). There is also a demo on Steam. :wink:
Yes, The Troop is indeed a nice game. Second Front is as close to Squad Leader as is likely to ever happen. Squad Battles is a great option and there is Valor and Victory. Pining for Steel Tigers is just silly. It so utterly so 2005.
I CAN be reached
zonks

Post by zonks »

MrsWargamer wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:22 am
TDefender wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:05 pm

Yes, The Troop is indeed a nice game. Second Front is as close to Squad Leader as is likely to ever happen. Squad Battles is a great option and there is Valor and Victory. Pining for Steel Tigers is just silly. It so utterly so 2005.
Pining? none of those games mentioned give you the opportunity to play as any nation that fought during WW2, nor do they have almost every piece of equipment used, tailoring a force to fight throughout the entirety of WW2.

Second Front has scores of posts in the steam discussion asking for a Steel Panthers like campaign, The Troop is no different, the discussion is full of people hoping for a Steel Panthers like game.

So 2005? so what? it's obvious a lot of people enjoy the game, they still do, and would like to see a modernized version, and the more people that show interest the more likely a dev will see the potential to invest in it, so stop telling people they are silly for wanting it.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Steel Panthers is awesome, still is. Mega Campaigns are still playable. And with the enhancements from the Depot guys, it is still working fine in 2024.
The fact is, Steel Tigers is an idea from 2005 or so. It's an idea that hasn't happened for 20 years. The program as it was, might as well never happen.

Yes, Squad Battles is several programs. Yes, Second Front isn't the entire war. Yes, the Troop is a different experience. Then there is Valor and Victory, and Lock n Load Tactical Digital. The market has a lot of great attempts at a great tactical scale design. And I have all of the games mentioned.

Steel Panthers is like Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader. It came, and it has yet to be beaten in comparison.
I have some great board games, different from ASL, but never better. And some are remarkable too. Just not better.

Anyone wanting Steel Tigers, really should just get the game it wanted to replace, that never went anywhere.
Oh, and the Shrapnel versions of Steel Panthers are still being regularly updated as well.
I CAN be reached
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

MrsWargamer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:16 pm Steel Panthers is awesome, still is. Mega Campaigns are still playable. And with the enhancements from the Depot guys, it is still working fine in 2024.
The fact is, Steel Tigers is an idea from 2005 or so. It's an idea that hasn't happened for 20 years. The program as it was, might as well never happen.

Yes, Squad Battles is several programs. Yes, Second Front isn't the entire war. Yes, the Troop is a different experience. Then there is Valor and Victory, and Lock n Load Tactical Digital. The market has a lot of great attempts at a great tactical scale design. And I have all of the games mentioned.

Steel Panthers is like Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader. It came, and it has yet to be beaten in comparison.
I have some great board games, different from ASL, but never better. And some are remarkable too. Just not better.

Anyone wanting Steel Tigers, really should just get the game it wanted to replace, that never went anywhere.
Oh, and the Shrapnel versions of Steel Panthers are still being regularly updated as well.
Have you played "Tigers on the Hunt"? Isn't that another ASL like contender?

I love SP but the graphics really show their age to put it mildly. Personally, I am going to give Second Front a try. I like LnL and IMO it is a good use of modules or DLC, you can get whatever period or theater you like whether WWII or more modern. V and V is missing something, maybe it is too simplified.
mazex
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by mazex »

Every other year, I search for some new reincarnation of Steel Panthers and end up in threads like this :) If someone could just do a proper modern remake with real support for modern computers with high resolution graphics and a decent UI, they could leave the rest as it is...

The modern things I have found in my search that eases some of the itch are Hex of Steel (lovely developer support) and Second Front... But none of them are intended as modern versions of Steel Panthers... Or maybe Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm for the modern part. Different with command delays etc, but the one with most close to Steel Panthers feeling actually.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

edb1815 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:13 pm
MrsWargamer wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:16 pm Steel Panthers is awesome, still is. Mega Campaigns are still playable. And with the enhancements from the Depot guys, it is still working fine in 2024.

I love SP but the graphics really show their age to put it mildly. Personally, I am going to give Second Front a try. I like LnL and IMO it is a good use of modules or DLC, you can get whatever period or theater you like whether WWII or more modern. V and V is missing something, maybe it is too simplified.
Tigers on the Hunt is about the best iteration of the Squad Leader looking computer wargame. I have it. Alas the developer suffered health issues in his moment of glory and the program got left adrift. Inasmuch as I'm a veteran Squad Leader player, and I have all the usual names of computer games either claiming to be Squad Leader, or just looking that way, I can say Tigers on the Hunt is a good candidate. The UI isn't very user friendly in the obvious department. A bit of watching YouTubes for it makes a world of difference though.

Second Fron't great game. I had a chance to help develop it. Has to take a pass due to time limits. Alas at this date, it is still unable to do 2 player. That is often a deal breaker for many. But it sure looks like Squad Leader.

I have Flashpoint, and it is basically a platoon level game instead of a squad level design. Then again, Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat software (which Steel Panthers World at War was created from) is a platoon level game as well.

The comment about aging software is really a neither here nor there comment. You use what works.
But if one goes to the Depot site, they have software that fixes all the old hardware based troubles for Steel Panthers.
There is nothing stopping anyone from playing Steel Panthers on Windows 10 on a new computer.
I CAN be reached
edb1815

Post by edb1815 »

MrsWargamer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:43 pm
edb1815 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:13 pm

Tigers on the Hunt is about the best iteration of the Squad Leader looking computer wargame. I have it. Alas the developer suffered health issues in his moment of glory and the program got left adrift. Inasmuch as I'm a veteran Squad Leader player, and I have all the usual names of computer games either claiming to be Squad Leader, or just looking that way, I can say Tigers on the Hunt is a good candidate. The UI isn't very user friendly in the obvious department. A bit of watching YouTubes for it makes a world of difference though.

Second Fron't great game. I had a chance to help develop it. Has to take a pass due to time limits. Alas at this date, it is still unable to do 2 player. That is often a deal breaker for many. But it sure looks like Squad Leader.

I have Flashpoint, and it is basically a platoon level game instead of a squad level design. Then again, Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat software (which Steel Panthers World at War was created from) is a platoon level game as well.

The comment about aging software is really a neither here nor there comment. You use what works.
But if one goes to the Depot site, they have software that fixes all the old hardware based troubles for Steel Panthers.
There is nothing stopping anyone from playing Steel Panthers on Windows 10 on a new computer.

Thanks for the response. Just to clarify I did not have a problem with the SP software working, I was having trouble with the graphics. I found it hard to see things clearly, so as noted a personal preference.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Ah yes, sometimes the graphics can = fail even when new and modern.

I want to like Second Front more, but alas, the 3dish nature makes it more work than a 2d design would have created.

I like playing Squad Battles mainly for the visual style. Easy to look at.
I CAN be reached

Return to “General Discussion”