FOG Digital League AAR archive . . .

The FOG Digital League

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft, FoG: Leagues&Tourns&SeekingOpponents Subforums mods

ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Can ericdoman1 win the Grand Slam?!

Post by ericdoman1 »

Whoops forgot to prt screen, will do so next turn.

Marius has won the initiative, didn't see the actual result but as he has an IC, my total init pts is 1and I roll a 1 for initiative.

The map he has chosen, has a few marshes on his left, a few hexes of open plain and then the large central hill probably 7 hexes deep and wide, some more open space, a wood about 5 hexes deep and wide and more open space. He has deployed with a large screen of lf in front of hill and upto the wood. The mf are behind this screen (I can only see a few) and more in the wood. 52bps vs 35bps. You could probably calculate our army builds? Going to be tough, winning initiative and a much larger army makes him favourite for sure, on top of that he has more missile troops including a few mf bow.

I have lined up in front of the hill and to his left, with a combination of superior protected and armoured legions as well as a few cataphracts. Supporting my lf with some cavalry. Not sure what to do at the moment but have to attack somewhere. He will easily reach the hill before me, actually he could crawl at a snail's pace and reach the hill before me:)
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ericdoman1 v Sharkall

Screenshot from Eric's match against Sharkall . . .

Eric comments, "Marius has moved away from the central hill to the safer location of the wood and the far right (his right) hill. Took this into consideration as the wood is better for him as a defensive position. I will have to advance and take the central hill and then we shall see what happens. Again this could be a very long game, especially due to time difference and so only moving 1 turn each per day. Wondering if we had played earlier on would he have used the Sarmatian ally. I believe he did against all other opponents, except Ian and I?"
Sharkall
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Sharkall »

Played both turns. I guess I will do some screenshots when things start to get interesting :)
Also I'm leaving for home (Romania) for Xmas, and since I will spend 30+ hours flying and on connections, I won't probably be able to play Thursday and Friday. But then will be on the same side of the planet again so I think we can at least get to half in both games during the weekend? assuming everybody can play at Pete-speed :)

And to answer Eric's question. I had flagged these to games and the one with Morbio as the most problematic, and potential draws. I was confident enough to go for the win in that one, but these two would have been draws for me even if played at the start of the competition. And since I think I need all the archers and as large an army as possible for that, I wouldn't have gone for the Sarmatian allies anyway. You can beat them in melee for just 2p extra cost (18 instead of 16), and they don't gain me much except 1 extra movement against the legions who cost 14. Plus they're not that suited to a draw game, as they can easily suicide into pikes or bad attacks if you're not very careful. And if you are, you're restricting yourself too much ...
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ericdoman1 v Sharkall

ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Just pushing forward. Marius' screen of lights has been pushed back.

A LH of mine (not on screenshot) is at Marius' camp, failed first time to loot it.

Not much else really just some shooting, although Marius has a few charge options.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ericdoman1 v Sharkall

Eric notes, "The bottom left I have a few lf, legions and a cav. Top centre right my lh is fragmented and will die on Sharkall's turn. He has a number of mf which will be moving around my flank shortly so taking the hill is going to be vital. I caught some lf, routed a mf bow and a warrior and am on the first tier of the hill but Marius has a lot of troops on the hill so I will be expecting a number of charges of which Marius will be up on impact (uphill)so not good. Also most of the combats will now have Marius uphill as well so doubly not good. My cav unit in the centre is now of no real use as he is on 59% casualties but did catch an lf and disrupted the routed mf."
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Well it is 17 vs 7 now.

My cav top right got disrupted by bowfire and 2 warriors charged in, fragged it and now routed it. The cat nearby got disrupted, routed the lf next to cat but my legion is fragged and will be routed shortly.

The 2 disrupted warrior on top right of hill were routed and the falxmen next to them got disrupted due o a cat charge who has pursued uphill into mf bow. My legion next to these was disrupted by a warrior charge but has rallied as my gen charged into a falxmen who is disrupted. One of the lanciarii has now charged into the disrupted falxman after the 2 warriors ran off. Marius has a few disrupted bgs on the hill now and I have a number of disrupted units as well.

His flank attack is speeding towards me at a rate of knots. I don't think I have enough troops, yet to stop them arriving behind my flank and possible rear. Again go to take the hill really quickly now. Once more Marius will have a number of troops charging downhill nto mine. Any more disruptions and his flank march will not need to fight. He has a number of fresh troops on the crest of the hill ready to charge dwnhill on my troops as well.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

ericdoman1 v Sharkall

Eric writes, "We still haven't a firm hold of the hill, and Marius has more fresh troops ready to charge in and or are already uphill fighting. Also his flank attack is gaining ground. 3 more turns and it will be over as I have no troops able to protect my rear, except for some lf. Marius' IC is rallying his troops as well so the 20 bp difference will slowly be coming down. One heck of a battle. Again I had no option but to attack and as is the norm against an exceptional player, who is defending a hill, it is nigh impossible to succeed. I have a number of very important combats (as always) and impact. If I fail a number of tests the game could be over sooner."
ericdoman1

Post by ericdoman1 »

Jumped the gun a little

The end is nigh score at the mo is eric 21/35 vs Marius 37/52 but I have 11 or 12 bps of units that are either fragged, very close to autorout and will be prone to rear attacks, these are my flank units. That is my units at the top of the screen

I will probably pick up 2 to 4 bps so there is a pretty good chance I will inflict more bp casuaties.

It is just a matter of time for Marius to mop up the rest of my army.

Cracking game and I am not sure I could have done anything better but what do you expect facing Marius when he is uphill
ericdoman1

This is the end

Post by ericdoman1 »

Thought I'd post first. Am going down on Marius' turn it'll be something like 35-37/35 eric vs 39-41/52 to Marius.

Well played Marius

That is my final game so thanks to all of my opponents and have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday and an excellent 2014
Sharkall

Post by Sharkall »

Final score 35/35 vs 45/52, got the camp first try!
Thanks Eric for giving this a good try, it was a good game! Not an easy task to win the game outnumbered and attacking uphill, though my defending/stalling units were melting faster than I expected. A couple impacts or cohesion tests going wrong, not getting the camp fast, and I could have easily lost it as well. Nothing much I would have done differently from the other side :)
Happy Holidays and a nice relaxing time for our friend Eric, who will have be content with winning all but one trophy this time :P amazing season nonetheless !

On the other hand, haven't received a turn from Ian in a few days

Return to “The FOG Digital League”