Shelling of Sevastapol

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Shelling of Sevastapol

Post by trulster »

This event causes Turkey to immediately join the war. However, to everybody's surprise, it ALSO caused Britain to immediately join the war. If this is intended, needs to be on tooltips or in event description, since it takes away the whole point of Turkey joining early (giving time to build up against superior British forces).
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Shelling of Sevastapol

Post by Robotron »

The British DOW is not triggered specifically by that event but rather by Turkey joining CP when Britain is still neutral in multiplayer.

I decided to have it that way to nudge the CP player into "surprise"-attacking the weakly defended Suez right away without an unrealistic buildup of forces.
It never crossed my mind that instead the CP player would rather like to play defensively.

Okay then, I'll change it so that Britain remains neutral when Turkey joins CP.
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
trulster

Post by trulster »

I think from the CP point of view, the value of keeping Britain out of the war for as long as possible is greater than the minor boost from having Turkey active.
trulster

Post by trulster »

Furthermore, this event is even worse for Turkey. Somehow a bunch of Arab garrison and cavalry immediately show up in Suez on British war entry, making any quick attack impossible. Opponent also has no idea where these Arab units come from, some convoluted bug?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Again this is not caused by the event but rather by Turkey joining CP when British war entry was delayed.

Since the CP player has direct control over whether British war entry is delayed by simply not attacking Belgium, I felt it would be too much to also have Britain lose Egypt because deploying troops to Egypt in time to stop the Ottomans would be impossible.
So I decided to give Britain some "colonial" units (Arab troops in British service) in case of a Ottoman surprise attack so Egypt is not automatically lost.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

How about this proposal then: those Arab units will NOT spawn if Ottoman war entry was caused by the Shelling of Sevastopol event to emphasize the "surprise" character of that event.
In any other case these units will appear upon Ottomans joining CP in case of delayed British war entry to simulate that Britain was not just idly twiddling thumbs in Egypt

If you are of the opinion that Ottomans should always be able to overrun Egypt in case of a delayed British war entry, meaning +2 collapse points and about -20 morale from loss of production to Britain, I'd like to hear your arguments but you should consider the game balance aspect.
trulster

Post by trulster »

IMO there should always be some base defences in Suez other than just garrisons, why not improve the default setup no matter how Britain enters the war? Could be these Arab units. Would be more consistent. Still think Britain should not automatically enter the war when Shelling of Sevastapol is played.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”