Aarrrrrrgghh!

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Aarrrrrrgghh!

Post by Blathergut »

Painted up first small unit of French artillery. "Looooooks good!" he thinks.

Mai's non, says Deadtorius! You did get the carriage color correct? (He's a very alliterative fellow :wink: ) They were green, not the natural wood color used by this soul.

Rip off of bases...repaint...redip...rebase...

Arrrrggh!

Had cut the bases incorrectly...now have to wait for the flocking (yes, I admit it, was going to use a different word there :oops: ) glue to dry so I can rip them off again!

Suckers better shoot perfectly at Austrians after this!!!! :evil:
Trailape
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Aarrrrrrgghh!

Post by Trailape »

I would have just left them with the 'natural wood' carriage. If anyone said anything I would have simple said they were rushed to the army, ( such is war) :roll:
At least now you'll have a story to share. :lol:
"CANNON, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries".
- Ambrose Bierce
For more Wargaming goodness, visit my BLOG:
http://trailape.blogspot.com/
donm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by donm »

God help them if they throw '1's in their first game :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What's the scrap value at the moment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

I guess I could always sell them to the Austrians. :wink:
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

After reading this we don't want to buy your cursed guns, we have enough of our own lucky 1's in this army as it is. Next weekend we shall see if your guns can hit the broad side of an Austrian line :twisted:
After our last amazing victory we are hoping for 2 in a row, also first time trying the one turn no move ruling.
MikeHorah
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by MikeHorah »

Blathergut wrote:Painted up first small unit of French artillery. "Looooooks good!" he thinks.

Mai's non, says Deadtorius! You did get the carriage color correct? (He's a very alliterative fellow :wink: ) They were green, not the natural wood color used by this soul.
:
I think Wurttemburg was natural wood.I have always thought French issued guns were a kind of dull matt olive greeny brown . But they used captured guns too - did they repaint them? No idea.

Shame to have to rebase too and what about weathering - maybe you could have just dry brushed (or thin ink washed) a dull green over the wood? Original colours especially of uniforms were dyed deeper in manufacture to allow for weathering and fading so many shades of colours can be acceptable IMHO.

Reminds me of a military modelling cartoon in the 1970's . Two guys looking at an impressive 54mm model of a Hoplite and one says " The sand between the toes is wrong for Marathon."( or something like that -my memory is not what it was at my advanced age - and/or I am not getting enough follic acid ).

For those who query the spacing of buttons or cuff shapes in 15mm figures ( or smaller) perhaps advice involving sex and travel would be appropriate. They don't fight any better for being pretty of course though I do draw the line at unpainted and card based plastics...... :D :D
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

Actually the French mixed a dark yellow with black to get the green colour. I have an Osprey that gives the exact ratio. Using Artist Acrylics for decades I am quite good at mixing colours to get what I think is right. I don't think you can get the proper shade of green from any paint manufacturers.

As for captured guns, from what I have read the Frenchies would melt the barrels down for other purposes. The guns from Austerlitz being melted down and used for the base in some statue in Paris for example. Since it seems only the French had standardize their bore size and carriages and wheel size, captured equipment probably would not be usable without lots of extra headaches.
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

MikeHorah wrote:I think Wurttemburg was natural wood.I have always thought French issued guns were a kind of dull matt olive greeny brown . But they used captured guns too - did they repaint them? No idea.
*NECROMANCY*

They would have repainted them... eventually.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

deadtorius wrote:Actually the French mixed a dark yellow with black to get the green colour. I have an Osprey that gives the exact ratio. Using Artist Acrylics for decades I am quite good at mixing colours to get what I think is right. I don't think you can get the proper shade of green from any paint manufacturers.

As for captured guns, from what I have read the Frenchies would melt the barrels down for other purposes. The guns from Austerlitz being melted down and used for the base in some statue in Paris for example. Since it seems only the French had standardize their bore size and carriages and wheel size, captured equipment probably would not be usable without lots of extra headaches.
I was under the distinct impression that the entire French 6lber arsenal came from the Prussians after 1806!
bahdahbum

Post by bahdahbum »

It seems from some sources that the right color is not green ...but brownish as a final result but we were not there at the time
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

Try mixing some black into yellow. It will start green but if you add too much black it will go a brown color. I used that process once to paint some 1/72 scale Russians for WW2 once.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”