Rise of AI Global Mod v3.12

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
MarkShot
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Rise of AI Global Mod v3.0

Post by MarkShot »

Well, there was a false assumption on my part.

The mouse over text in full says "stream (not open)". I assumed that meant moderately disordered for "impact foot". It did not. So, I had no advantage and was playing Rome vs. Macedonia at Legate on relatively flat terrain.

NOTE: I was using TT 1.5.32b.

I think it was simply aligning the two frontages.

Now, when the line were actually face to face, I think it wasn't aggressive enough ... in the sense large areas of the line were have a staring contest, I used my diagonal units from the initial charge to enter the fray. I don't think I had an advantage running down the line, but I created a few local advantages. This collapsed one flank and gave me units to roll up the line. Rolling up a line mechanically easy in this game as the affect will rapidly snowball even if it begins with just one unit.

Now, it is a tough call to go all in or hold something back. RBS' AI (which I was playing at governor) definitely seems to keep a reserve in most fights. A reserve of a little cav or foot units (even medium foot) would have prevented, the rolling up the line I was doing. Since the reserve would have made me vulnerable to flank charges.

Your link is:

http://www.kwlsystems.com/images/gameq/jack02.zip

The game parameters follow:
2020-11-05 20-07-47.jpg
2020-11-05 20-07-47.jpg (233.79 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
2020-11-05 20-09-28.jpg
2020-11-05 20-09-28.jpg (227.12 KiB) Viewed 4666 times
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

Jack,

My conventions for checkpointing save games:

Quicksave Start ----- 99 This is the start of the turn right after the AI before I move.
Quicksave Middle Intermediate saves during my turn.
Quicksave End This is a save immediately before running the AI.
2020-11-05 20-22-58.jpg
2020-11-05 20-22-58.jpg (64.56 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
roguedjack
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by roguedjack »

Got the saves, thanks.
"Rise Of AI" AI mod for Field Of Glory II
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=102040
Spiret3z
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Spiret3z »

Hallo!

Where is the: "Ingame, click on the icon on the bottom left of the main screen to go the "Global Mods" screen, select "Rise Of AI 3.0 Global" then click "Accept". To disable, select "No Mod Set" or any other global mod you might have installed. If enabled correctly it will say "Using mod: Rise Of AI v3.0 Global" on the main screen." in the game? Maybe I am stupid, but I can't find anything. Please, help! Thanks!

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Spiret3z wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:59 am Hallo!

Where is the: "Ingame, click on the icon on the bottom left of the main screen to go the "Global Mods" screen, select "Rise Of AI 3.0 Global" then click "Accept". To disable, select "No Mod Set" or any other global mod you might have installed. If enabled correctly it will say "Using mod: Rise Of AI v3.0 Global" on the main screen." in the game? Maybe I am stupid, but I can't find anything. Please, help! Thanks!

That's very strange! You should have the Global Mods button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen, like this:

What version of the game are you running? Maybe you have a very old version, the Global Mods option was added a very long time ago.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

I had a similar problem, in that I couldn't find how and where to download the global mod in question. Couldn't find it anywhere...

... Until I unticked both Single Player and Multiplayer in User Content Downloads (after having clicked Download community scenarios in the upper left of the main screen).

After having downloaded the Rise of AI that way, the icon on the bottom left of the main screen to go the "Global Mods" screen was suddenly visible (before that, it wasn't).

Hope the above helps and is not only confusing or too basic.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

kronenblatt wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am

I had a similar problem, in that I couldn't find how and where to download the global mod in question. Couldn't find it anywhere...

... Until I unticked both Single Player and Multiplayer in User Content Downloads (after having clicked Download community scenarios in the upper left of the main screen).

After having downloaded the Rise of AI that way, the icon on the bottom left of the main screen to go the "Global Mods" screen was suddenly visible (before that, it wasn't).

Hope the above helps and is not only confusing or too basic.
Thanks Kronenblatt, that makes sense now!

So Spiretz3z had not downloaded the Rise of AI mod yet, and did not have any other Global Mods installed, therefore his Global Mods button was not appearing!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

I'll add that to the first post.
Spiret3z

Post by Spiret3z »

Dear Paul59 and Dear kronenblatt,

now it's O.K. and I can see the button at the bottom left of the main screen.
The Problem was: after I have downloaded the mod, I have renamed it from "RISE_OF_AI_V3.0_GLOBAL" into "1.5.32_RISE_OF_AI_V3.0_GLOBAL". And this was my mistake.

Than you very much for your help!
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

Mark, does your mod adjust army composition in consideration of terrain and opposing forces?
KKarlssoNN
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by KKarlssoNN »

Hi, I'm enjoying the mod, however since installing it I'm getting alot of stuttering and freezing that wasn't happening with just the TT mod before. A performance hit is expected, but I'm wondering how much is normal and if there are fixes/tweaks I can do.

I have a 9900K @5.0 and almost the best of that generation's timeframe of hardware 2080 Ti EVGA FTW3 etc... also playing at 3440x1440.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

I wouldn't say I am getting stuttering. Noticeable pauses. It's price you pay for more AI calculations, but given the game is turn based, I don't see it as a big issue.

Probably the larger the battles, the more noticeable.
roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

KKarlssoNN wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:36 pm Hi, I'm enjoying the mod, however since installing it I'm getting alot of stuttering and freezing that wasn't happening with just the TT mod before. A performance hit is expected, but I'm wondering how much is normal and if there are fixes/tweaks I can do.
It is normal if it happens during the AI turn and at the end of your turn. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do. See the readme in the first post section "KNOWN ISSUES".
Jagger2002 wrote:does your mod adjust army composition in consideration of terrain and opposing forces?
No. See the readme.
toska

Post by toska »

A wonderful mod. Is there any possibility of optimizing the code so that a future is more fluid?
roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

toska wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:12 pm A wonderful mod. Is there any possibility of optimizing the code so that a future is more fluid?
Thanks.
Since performance is an issue for some users I'll see if I can improve it in the next version without penalizing the AI.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

roguedjack wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:11 pm If you want to compare vanilla and RoAI ais on the same battle, save the game during your deployment phase and take it from here. The AI you started the game with is the one who deployed the AI army. This can have an impact on the game as RoAI use different deployment logic than vanilla.
I will try this. :)

Given this, what would work best in your opinion (and any other person's, for that matter): starting with vanilla AI or with RoAI AI for deployment? Or doesn't it make any difference?

roguedjack

Post by roguedjack »

kronenblatt wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:52 pm
roguedjack wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:11 pm If you want to compare vanilla and RoAI ais on the same battle, save the game during your deployment phase and take it from here. The AI you started the game with is the one who deployed the AI army. This can have an impact on the game as RoAI use different deployment logic than vanilla.

Given this, what would work best in your opinion (and any other person's, for that matter): starting with vanilla AI or with RoAI AI for deployment? Or doesn't it make any difference?
It does certainly make a difference but if you just want to see how RoAI performs compared to vanilla from the same starting point, it's more fair to let vanilla deploy for both AIs. But you should avoid mountains/lakes type maps, vanilla tends to deploy troops behind chunks of impassable terrain on the wings too often, imho RoAI is better at deploying on these types of maps.

So as explained above start the game without RoAI, save during you deployment just before ending it, and then continue 2 parallel games one with RoAI enabled and one with vanilla.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

roguedjack wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:31 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:52 pm

It does certainly make a difference but if you just want to see how RoAI performs compared to vanilla from the same starting point, it's more fair to let vanilla deploy for both AIs. But you should avoid mountains/lakes type maps, vanilla tends to deploy troops behind chunks of impassable terrain on the wings too often, imho RoAI is better at deploying on these types of maps.

So as explained above start the game without RoAI, save during you deployment just before ending it, and then continue 2 parallel games one with RoAI enabled and one with vanilla.
OK, thanks: then I know and will let vanilla deploy.

Quivis
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Quivis »

You’ve done a great job. I’m playing FoG:E using your AI for exported battles and it’s really interesting. Even if I win easily (and it’s not always the case), the battles are very interesting without obvious AI errors.

You’ve implemented some solutions which should definitely be implemented into the game. One of the obvious examples is melee resolution. Vanilla AI simply waits for the end of its turn, which I assume is something that is left from the older games which had separate melee phase without player involvement. It’s such a huge handicap for the AI. No human player would firstly move all its troops and then resolve the melee – you simply need to have some measures to react to the melee outcomes.

Regarding the lags, it doesn’t bother me, if I play using 100% conversion rate options. However, if I want to play using 150% conversion rate option the game becomes very laggy.
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

I thought the standard AI was patched at some point to resolve melee's first and in the order which would potentially have the greatest impact yet unmade actions. Although, I think it appeared in Jack's AI first.

Return to “Field of Glory II”