Soviet Corps questions

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

RVallant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Soviet Corps questions

Post by RVallant »

Longasc wrote:Made it through "Smolensk" without major problems, also noticed KV-1B become available, and they are quite a handful for the German tanks.
I was doing ok with a decent defensive line in Smolensk but then I over-extended on the northern flank and couldn't get that city back in time, so had to settle for a 'victory'. -_-;; Boo!

On the tank discussion;

T-34's are great for fire-control.

KV-1's are awesome-sauce early on, and the movement isn't an issue since we're on the defensive anyway.

KV-2's are the go-to anti-infantry tank early on, provided I haven't mixed the numbers up, the KV-2 will decimate infantry with some ease and will absolutely murder the motorbikes. Those bikes are the bane of my existence at the moment, regularly turfing over entire units with ease, whether they're infantry shackled up in cities or smaller tanks in the open. Maybe I shouldn't have overlooked them in the grand campaign if they're doing this much damage! >_>
terje439
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by terje439 »

Longasc wrote:BTW, what are your thoughts on KV-1, KV-2 vs T34/40 early on.

The upgrade path of the KV-1 isn't clear to me, the KV-2 is afaik a dead end. The T34 seems to have the most future upgrade potential, but I found the KV-1 to be very much superior so far.
The KV1-c was vital in my battle at Kursk. I attacked with the T34s, and then let the KV1s occupy the positions left by the destroyed German forces, forcing the Germans to attack the KVs and not the T34s. The defensive value of the KVs ment that even the Tigers did not scare me too much.
Falke_MatrixForum
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Falke_MatrixForum »

Go All KV-1 due to high ammo and Def and if in Close Terrain have a better CD, although should not be in such Terrain unless backed by Artillery

The KV-2 will spend too many turns having to resupply.
The T34/40 will take more damage and thus will have to be repaired or rotated out of the front line

A few 85MM AA should also be in the core to weaken fighters and can also serve well in the AT role early on
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

Falke_MatrixForum wrote:
Go All KV-1 due to high ammo and Def and if in Close Terrain have a better CD, although should not be in such Terrain unless backed by Artillery

The KV-2 will spend too many turns having to resupply.
The T34/40 will take more damage and thus will have to be repaired or rotated out of the front line

A few 85MM AA should also be in the core to weaken fighters and can also serve well in the AT role early on
The T-34 OT version is the city tank. And it is in the upgrade path of the T-34, so it is worth switching to those OT (Flamethrower tanks) for scenarios such as Stalingrad. They will decimate infantry when backed up with Arty, just as good as the SMG infantry will.
Klydon
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Klydon »

My two cents.

I went heavy KV1 early. I was not a fan of the KV1C because it loses a movement point. I didn't think the trade off was good enough to justify it.

IMO, you need the KV1's to screen your T34's from Panthers and Tigers in the 1943 scenarios. KV1's are sort of a dead end at some point, but good upgrades can be had with the IS line and/or KV85.

I kept my two original fighters and built up as much experience as I could from the early scenarios. After that, they didn't see the light of day at least in 1941 until some better aircraft came along and I could afford more of them. I invested instead in 85MM AA. After they get some experience, they will decimate just about any German plane that is silly enough to bomb you. Handy against German armor in a pinch as well. After you feel comfortable enough to try to bring back the Red Airforce, your fighters can rack up experience finishing off German planes your AA shot up. I wasn't impressed with the other Russian AA offerings, but perhaps they get better with experience. I like the dual nature of the 85MM AA guns as well.

Russian infantry is garbage early. I didn't buy any extra. I did try to be careful with it and get it some experience. Later on, when you can upgrade to Guards and Guards 43, then Russian infantry begins to feel like "normal" infantry (IE, German, US, UK). The AI seems to like to come after Russian infantry when it has the chance, so I like to screen it and/or make sure it is in rough terrain and have limited exposure.
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

Klydon wrote:
Russian infantry is garbage early. I didn't buy any extra. I did try to be careful with it and get it some experience. Later on, when you can upgrade to Guards and Guards 43, then Russian infantry begins to feel like "normal" infantry (IE, German, US, UK). The AI seems to like to come after Russian infantry when it has the chance, so I like to screen it and/or make sure it is in rough terrain and have limited exposure.
That'll be cos of their 0-1 Initiative. Dire.

Late game Guards '43 are exceptional though, 5 SA, 6 HA I think. Still, one can argue that the SMG guys are so good for city fighting it is worth downgrading them in Berlin.

Btw:

PSA: Seelow Heights, your commander says you have air superiority. Ignore him, he's lying. Don't do what I did and take a token fighter force only to get swarmed with 6-7 planes immediately. Was not best amused with that briefing.

Other PSA: Stalingrad - Your commander says you can't bring planes, he *doesn't* tell you the enemy won't bring planes either. Don't bother bringing AA to that fight, it is a waste of unit slots. ¬_¬
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Are people still playing Soviet Corps frequently?
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

PeteMitchell wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:51 pm Are people still playing Soviet Corps frequently?
I have it, but have not played it yet. I will do, but I'm currently on GC West.
Longasc
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Longasc »

I haven't in ages. I never got into Panzer Corps 2 and after the first Pacific campaign Order of Battle fell off hard for me as well. Sadly I am nowadays more watching the evolution of warfare live, at least thankfully from afar.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Thanks all
PanzerTum
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by PanzerTum »

For me Soviet Corps is the most enjoyable DLC of the bunch, at least so far.

In fact seeing this thread pop up made me start it again.

To be honest I think it is a fairly easy campaign. initial levels are a bit hard since the Soviets didn't have any decent units but once the sturdy KV-1B makes an appearance things start to change. They are eminently suited for a defensive war, have high defensive values and can still be used in offensive scenarios. The T34 family is quick and packs a punch but they are vulnerable, the KV's remain the core of the Soviet forces.

Prestige levels are pretty high throughout the campaign so you are not really limited in your upgrade choices.
Infantry and fighters are not top notch in the beginning and it can be tricky to keep them alive, but aided by enough artillery and anti-air you definitely stand a chance to build them up, maybe not as an all-out attacking force but definitely as a counterattacking force picking of the units when opportunities arise. Usually with a bit of patience air superiority can be gained. In the Caucasus you can capture a FW-190 which is priceless for the Soviet Airforce.

Scenarios are usually not too long and limited in the number of units you can deploy so flooding the battlefield with armour is not always possible.

So all in all a very enjoyable campaign, I would very much like to see a Grand campaign from the Soviet point of view.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

+1

Return to “Panzer Corps”