Wurttemberg Garderegiment zu Pferd (Garde du Corps)

Moderators: hammy, terrys, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

shadowdragon
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Wurttemberg Garderegiment zu Pferd (Garde du Corps)

Post by shadowdragon »

I'm curious if anyone has painted up this regiment and, if so, did you go with the campaign uniform or gala uniform?

An interesting unit with a jager, a leib and two grenadier squadrons. I gather in campaign dress the leib and grenadier squardons were dress alike in dark blue coats and bearskins but in gala dress the leib squadron had a yellow coat with a helmet similar to the French carabiniers. The jager squadron had green coats with bearskins on campaign but had a helmet like the light cavalry for gala dress.
KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Wurttemberg Garderegiment zu Pferd (Garde du Corps)

Post by KendallB »

My ones are in the painting queue but I'll be doing them in campaign dress.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

KendallB wrote:My ones are in the painting queue but I'll be doing them in campaign dress.
What figures ar you using? Post pics when you're done please. :)

I think I will go with the gala. Can't resist. Probably get the closest matching AB figures and convert.
KendallB

Post by KendallB »

I'm using AB French Grenadier a cheval. Their coats are not quite right at the front but I think I can get away with it in the paint job. It'll be a while before they get painted but I could do them around Christmas.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

KendallB wrote:I'm using AB French Grenadier a cheval. Their coats are not quite right at the front but I think I can get away with it in the paint job. It'll be a while before they get painted but I could do them around Christmas.
Not quite right if your painting queue isn't stretching out to infinity. :lol:

I kind of like the campaign dress for the jager squadron with their green coats and bearskins plus their gala uniform is similar to the mounted jager regiments. However with campaign dress the leib squadron ends up nearly identical to the grenadiers; and I will not mix gala and campaign uniforms in the same regiment.

My plan is an officer, trumpeter and trooper for each of the leib and jager squadrons and an officer, a trumpeter and four troopers for the grenadiers. A bit over the top but they are horse guards.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Oookay....just reading through the Rawkins book it seems that the officers of the leib jager squadron wore the raupenhelm on campaign and those of the garde du corps leib squadron wore their yellow coat with the bearskin. No info on the trumpeters. So I will go with campaign dress...bearskins for all except the officer of the leib jagers, green coats for the jagers, yellow for the officer of the garde du corps leib squadron and blue for the rest. Cuirasses for all except trumpeters and the jagers.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

I've started to work on this regiment. I've used green stuff to add epaulettes, officer sashes, and cuirass bits for the garde du corps and grenadier squadrons.

First time working with green stuff. Interesting how it sticks to the ever so small parts of tools and not to the larger area of figure.
deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

easy way to keep it from sticking is to dip your tool in water. Water will keep it from sticking, then it should stick to your figure and release from the tool. I have used it before and also was told that is how the sculptors do it by a sculptor so he should know.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

deadtorius wrote:easy way to keep it from sticking is to dip your tool in water. Water will keep it from sticking, then it should stick to your figure and release from the tool. I have used it before and also was told that is how the sculptors do it by a sculptor so he should know.
Yes, I saw that and was doing that but there'd still be to occasion when the whole blob of green stuff would come away from the figure because it was sticking to the small point of the tool. It's the scale and the very small bits of green stuff for cuirass edges, epaulettes, c.

Anyway, I'm past that and now painting the figures....the result is acceptable. They do look like Wurttemberg Guards and not Imperial Guard Horse Grenadiers.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Work in progress - need to do horse and some highlighting on the figures...

Front rank, left to right are the Garde du Corps and Leibjager squadrons. In the back rank are the two Grenadier squadrons.

Base figures are AB French Guard Grenadiers. Green stuff used to add fringed epaulettes, bulk out the front for the cuirasses, and fringes & shoulder straps for cuirasses. Should have worked more on smoothing out the cuirass surface. Intended to do that after the green stuff was dry but by that time I was too worried about knocking it off the figures if I did that....as I did when I worked on one shoulder strap.
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

They look nice Shadow.

Have you tried superglue on the 'under' side of the green stuff? I.e. whilst the greenstuff is still maliable, you put a drop of superglue on and wait for it to dry (minutes). You then do your bit with the sculpting whilst the greenstuff is maliable and once that is hard you can pretty much work to your hearts content.

I've only tried it once, but it seemed to work for me.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Thanks, Raven.

That is an idea, but there's a fleeting image of bits of green stuff glued all over my fingers. :D

I am getting better at it. I've just finished using green stuff to convert AB French Guard Fusilier-Grenadiers into Wurttemberg Guard Fusiliers...sash added to the officer and rear peaks for the shakos. I probably could have just ignored the latter but they are supposed to be edged in silver so they will stand out. Far less cursing....far, far less cursing.

Btw, I too have struggled with the Prussian 1806-07 list. I've posted my latest go at FoGN-type corps for Auerstadt.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 96&t=70403
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

A couple of quick ipad snaps of the final product....need to use my proper camera, but maybe after I get the Foot Guard Rgt done.

Mind you the guards, due to an incredibly terrible map, seem to have stumbled onto an American Civil War battlefield. You can tell it's an ACW battlefield even without the wooden fences since I'm forced to used my old, cheap plastic trees to get enough woodland.

deadtorius
Field Marshal - Me 410A
Field Marshal - Me 410A

Post by deadtorius »

A sculptor friend of mine heats up the figures under a reading lamp, probably a 40 watt bulb. The heated metal will adhere to the green stuff better than working on cold. It can also be used to "bake" the green stuff onto the figures after you have finished working with it.
Green stuff can also be sanded if you can get at it. Stick to a fine grit as you will get sanding lines if its too coarse.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

deadtorius wrote:A sculptor friend of mine heats up the figures under a reading lamp, probably a 40 watt bulb. The heated metal will adhere to the green stuff better than working on cold. It can also be used to "bake" the green stuff onto the figures after you have finished working with it.
Green stuff can also be sanded if you can get at it. Stick to a fine grit as you will get sanding lines if its too coarse.
Useful tip. Thanks.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

... maybe if you heated the superglue... :)
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

ravenflight wrote:... maybe if you heated the superglue... :)
Well, better than getting me 'heated up'. Those were pretty small bits that had to go into not-so-easy to get at places....like the cuirass shoulder straps (1.5 mm by 0.65 mm).

Maybe I should have used plasticine with a thin coat of a hardener. I've done that...about 50 years ago.
shadowdragon

Post by shadowdragon »

Fixed what was bothering me about the cuirass surface...it wasn't the green stuff but the original French grenadier coat. The green stuff was used to fill the area above the exposed waistcoat to bulk out the bottom of the cuirass with the top being the original coat. The irregularities in the cuirass surface were the original coat. So, I've smoothed the surface over with a light coat of a semi-liquid modelling paste. Looks good now.

Return to “Modelling/Gallery/Uniforms Questions”