Windows 10 game video/running slower when the focused APP

arvcran2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Windows 10 game video/running slower when the focused APP

Post by arvcran2 »

I looked through the topics in this section and could not find any reference to this issue.

I have posted on the steam forums but I will copy it here:

Performance issue ... strange behavior:

Recently (perhaps related to new BSG versions) I have noticed the game is very choppy.

The opening screen with Daedelous flyby video stops and starts ... but if I change the focus in windows to another application (window display mostly hidden off screen) the BSG video plays smoothly.

This also happens when hitting enter during battles ... the turn plays choppy ... unless I ALT-TAB to another app and it runs very smooth and quickly. The same goes for entire battle replay.

This is a recent symptom and am wondering if it has anything to do with recent software updates.

What is important here is that the game runs slower when it is the main focused application running ... I.E. accepting input ... something is stalling the video updates or the game is being prevented from proceeding because of a blocking call waiting on a response.

The game processes very quickly when in the background ... i.e. not the focused app accepting input. The video displays smoothly and the turn processes very quickly.

Another thing I noticed is that when on the completed battle screen BSG.exe is running at ~50%CPU ... what the heck is it doing? It is waiting for the user to select Proceed or Replay button.

I am running BSG launched by steam on windows 10 BSG version 1.5.111 (12466)
oregonuk
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Windows 10 game video/running slower when the focused APP

Post by oregonuk »

make sure you graphics card drivers are up to date and make sure if you have a dedicated graphics card that you have set it to being your video output some people forget this and so its using power from the processor to do the job APU processor needs often to be told to use a graphics card
arvcran2

Re: Windows 10 game video/running slower when the focused APP

Post by arvcran2 »

Yes the GPU is being used.

The fact is it is performing with flying colors.

Unfortunately, when the BSG process is in Windows Graphical User Interface focus there appears to be significant interruption.

The reason I know and can verify this is because when I use ALT-TAB to shift the focus to a different "window" the game processes the turn very quickly and the video plays smoothly with high detail. When the game is the main focused "window", videos, user input response, and game processing is severely slowed in a choppy manner (continuous stop and go).

I have up to date anti-virus software and no issues were detected.

I am not an expert but the only thing I can guess is that the in focus window process has extra interrupts because of user events like mouse, and keyboard. The processing of these may be temporarily blocking the entire process. It could be system related. It could also be "Steam" related.

I do notice a slight improvement when I go into 'Airplane' mode where I am no longer online.

Return to “Battlestar Galactica Deadlock: Tech Support”