FOG2 Version 1.5.3 Patch Notes

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

FOG2 Version 1.5.3 Patch Notes

Post by Daniele »

Spears will clash against shields again, as Field of Glory II has been updated to version 1.5.3.

STEAM and GOG versions will update automatically. You can download the updater for the Slitherine standalone version from here

This new version brings lots of changes, ranging from Gameplay Mechanics (improved push backs), AI (several significant enhancements), Multiplayer (it is now possible to have mirrored MP challenges), Campaigns (campaign scoring system) and more.

--------------------------------------------

Last but not least, the vanilla version of the game is not the only thing getting updated. The spectacular TT Mod created by Paul Adaway will soon be updated to a new version. The new version includes many improvements including individual faction banners! Take a look at that here

IMPORTANT! Be sure to update the game to version 1.5.3.

This version of TT Mod is too large for the in-game download system, but it is very easy to install: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=89442

The FoG II ‘TT mod’ is a comprehensive user-created mod for both Field of Glory II and DLCs. Full details of the original version of Paul Adaway’s 'magnum opus' are given here but the new version includes lots more new or modified army lists. In keeping with its miniatures based inspiration it has many new unit figures e.g. nearly all nations have their own specific pike phalanx, amended Greek cavalry, a plethora of new Spanish infantry units and one of my favourites – the Tarantine Light Javelin Horse.

For those of you would like to try this mod but are unsure about its impact on the game, rest assured that Paul has not amended the gameplay, rules or unit capabilities in anyway – its focus is on giving players a wider range of armies to choose from and units to play with. Installing TT Mod will not alter the main game in any way, and you will still be able to play the “vanilla” unmodded game whenever you want.
Special thanks are of course due to Paul for putting this together and then making it freely available.

------------------------------------------------

Version 1.5.3
Note that some of the changes listed below will not affect games started under the previous version of the game. Such games will still work correctly, but won’t use all of the new features.

• Gameplay:
---o Push Backs: In order to more closely match the overall distance infantry units get pushed back in the game with accounts of historical battles, Push Backs will be less frequent. Units facing orthogonally (facing a square edge) will only get pushed back every second time they suffer a “lost badly” combat result, starting with the first time they suffer such a result. Units facing diagonally will only get pushed back every third time they suffer a “lost badly” combat result, starting with the second time they suffer such a result. Overall this simulates the unit getting pushed back half a square-side distance each time they suffer a “lost badly” combat result (instead of a whole square-side orthogonally or almost 1.5 square-sides diagonally, as previously).
---o Unless they are in Rough or Difficult terrain, or defending an obstacle, Light Foot will now always evade non-light troops.
---o Light Foot can only charge non-light troops if the latter are in Rough or Difficult terrain. (They could previously charge them in non-Open terrain that was neither of these - e.g. small Streams).
---o Improved random naming conventions for the generals of some nations. (e.g. Arabs, Hebrews, Picts, Scots and Irish, Welsh).
---o Made Detailed Unit Information easier to read by using dark on light text and a larger font.
---o Increased effectiveness of Crossbows vs infantry slightly. (This currently only affects the Silk Road mod).
---o Various graphical optimisations made to improve in-battle game performance.
• AI:
---o Made AI units more likely to move round flanks by reducing their chance of choosing a route through enemy ZOCs.
---o Made AI units less likely to move into positions where they will block their friends’ break off.
---o AI now moves all Steady units before Disrupted ones.
---o Fragmented AI troops will no longer advance, as this is seldom a good idea.
---o Improved AI for Rearguard scenarios.
• Screenshots:
---o Added camera shutter sound effect to accompany the visual flash effect.
• Multiplayer:
---o It is now possible to set up paired (mirror) MP challenges. When the challenge is accepted, two games are created. Each player gets to play the same battle from both sides, on the same map.
• Campaigns:
---o There is now a campaign scoring system which derives a points score for each battle in a campaign (whether won or lost) and after each battle displays the number of victories and defeats in the campaign so far, the last battle score, the average battle score (which at the end of the campaign is the campaign score), and the player’s previous High (campaign) Score. The scoring for each battle depends on the margin of victory, but is also modified depending on the difficulty level set.
---o Advance Guard and Rearguard scenarios added to the possible campaign scenarios in Sandbox Campaigns.
---o Campaign Design:
------ Custom Campaign designers can use the TWEAK tag to adjust the points of the AI army in a particular campaign battle if needed for balance purposes. e.g. TWEAK 10 = AI gets 10% more points than usual, TWEAK -10 = AI gets 10% less points than usual. Note that TWEAK has no effect on the following decisions: 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 15 (should not be used in custom campaign anyway), 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, 24, 28, 29.
----- It is now possible to set the player army in the first battle of a custom (historical) campaign to use an allied contingent from another army list (using the usual ALLIES0 format). The allied contingent’s units will be autoselected prior to force selection, and constitute between 20 and 33% of the total force points.
------ Two additional option pairs can now be used in Custom Campaigns.
---------• Meeting Engagement (Advance Guard) scenario (32) or Reinforcements (Own) scenario (33). The standard strings attribute the choice to running low on supplies. The choice is therefore to advance as fast as possible to engage the enemy before supplies run out, or to advance steadily and send out foragers who may arrive back late for any battle. However, it is possible to provide different reasons for the choice by customizing the strings in the custom campaign folder.
---------• Outnumbered open battle– enemy has an extra 10% force points over and above the normal differential set by the difficult level (34) or Rearguard Action (35). The choice is therefore to fight the battle at a disadvantage, or to leave a rearguard to hold the enemy off while the rest of the army escape. This is deemed successful if the rearguard holds out till nightfall.
---------• Note that the campaign victory conditions for Meeting Engagement (Advance Guard) and Rearguard scenarios are different from the standalone version of those scenarios, in so far as the normal army rout percentages apply in addition to the special victory conditions.
• Modding:
---o The minimap will now default to yellow for Side 0 and blue for side 1 if the sides’ banner indices are outside the vanilla defined range (currently 1-14).
• Manual:
---o Change: Unless they are in Rough or Difficult terrain, or defending an obstacle, Light Foot will now always evade non-light troops.
---o Change: Light Foot can only charge non-light troops if the latter are in Rough or Difficult terrain.
• Bug Fixes:
---o Non-difficult hill slopes should now show correctly in random maps where equal height hills abut at a corner.
---o Fixed some missing Banner Normal and Spec textures (which nobody seems to have noticed).
---o Fixed rare MP crash bug.
---o Group move Undo should now consistently move all of the units in the group back to their starting position. We hope this will fix the bug where units occasionally got extra AP or a second move after a group move Undo.
---o Fixed issue of disappearing Detailed Unit Info button.
---o Next Unshot hotkey (B) now works when More Tools panel is not open.
---o Fixed issue of stray shootable or chargeable indicators on enemy units at the start of a player’s turn.
---o Fixed overlap in West Hunnic lists.
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: FOG2 Version 1.5.3 Patch Notes

Post by TimDee58 »

'the requested page could not be found' error
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

already reported not working, maybe we will have to wait a while for the link to come online

steam is live
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (342.47 KiB) Viewed 9707 times
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

the link does work on Matrix games site tho guys :)

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/2760/Fi ... sion.1.5.3
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

zakblood wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 am already reported not working, maybe we will have to wait a while for the link to come online
Functional link on matrixgames
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

fair point, will edit this one then and forward it to that one :)

on second thoughts, a redirect is still a workable solution for now

http://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/FieldOfG ... v1.5.3.zip
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Okay, a minor criticism..... if the game isnt installed in the default location the update says it's not installed at all, this happened last time too.

How can I tweak this to install to my copies actual location please?

(Failing that I'd have to repurchase the game which, obviously, I'd rather not have to do)

Anyone?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

right click install as admin. does that pick up the altered install?

which sets up now on the correct permissions but also tells the registry on where it is, if it's somewhere that it doesn't know, then it wasn't given the correct file permissions when first installed, and as the installer is an exe, unless on the install process gives the option of moving or manually putting in a destination, there isn't as far as i know, so then a uninstall and reinstall would be needed, installing and running as admin on both should solve it
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

I'll check
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

no that hasnt worked...... because of hardware changes recently the directory may not be finding it where it expects it to be?

What is the default vanilla install path and I'll copy it there..... that may just work (I hope)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 am 'the requested page could not be found' error
Try again, it is being a bit flakey but has been working.
Richard Bodley Scott

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

edited, in reply to TimDee58

no that may make it worse, best advice is to uninstall and make sure the old folder is cleaned / empty and folder removed.

then reinstall to the default, running the installer as admin and running the updater and game as admin, then it should sort it self out, so you don't have issues later down the line
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Ive just tried popping the installer into the game main folder & running it there, not a success

Can you remind me of the default location and i'll move the game back there before trying the update again

Gratefull for the response
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Well, as I said last time it updated, my original copy was as a gift, that was a pc ago and the buyer has passed away so i have absolutely no idea what to do

I suspect I'll end up repurchasing
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i don't or didn't install to default either, but as i ran mine as admin on the main game install, it worked, as the installer update picked up my game and folder :( so no link or information from me to give i'm sorry to say
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 am Well, as I said last time it updated, my original copy was as a gift, that was a pc ago and the buyer has passed away so i have absolutely no idea what to do

Don't do that. First email support@slitherine.com
Richard Bodley Scott

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

TimDee58 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 am Well, as I said last time it updated, my original copy was as a gift, that was a pc ago and the buyer has passed away so i have absolutely no idea what to do

gift matters not as long as you have a key, that's all that matters and have access to the installer?

edited and yes try support first and explain the gift part, and then hopefully you will see and get a reply either way, good luck
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

thanks
SamSlitherine
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by SamSlitherine »

TimDee58 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:58 am Okay, a minor criticism..... if the game isnt installed in the default location the update says it's not installed at all, this happened last time too.

How can I tweak this to install to my copies actual location please?

(Failing that I'd have to repurchase the game which, obviously, I'd rather not have to do)

Anyone?
Hi Tim,

The cleanest method to fix this would be -

If you have registered your serial on our member's area, you will be able to re-download the setup file and install the game to your chosen folder/location, so won't have to repurchase the game again. This won't affect saved games as they are saved to a location in your My documents folder, so won't have an adverse affect on game progress!

Members area
(https://www.matrixgames.com/members/)
- If you have registered your key, under the downloads column there should be a [Downloads] clickable link, if you go to this location there will be two options, the PC update v1.5.3 and the Installer v1.4.7, please use the installer and follow the aforementioned steps.
- If you haven't registered your serial, please do and follow the first step.

There is a more fiddly way i wouldn't recommend that involves checking the games registry values and copying the files back into there and applying the update as you've mentioned. (I could walk you through this but i'd strongly recommend the cleaner previously mentioned way as it's arguably a quicker process anyway and would be the one i'd go for)

Please let me know if you need further assistance as i'm happy to help! - it could also be a huge help to ask a few questions to try and troubleshoot the issue!
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

thanks i'll look at this again tonight

Return to “Field of Glory II”