Widescreen support?

Post your Technical Support questions here. Requires forum registration.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

GWSB
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Widescreen support?

Post by GWSB »

Hello,

Is there any way to change the only accessable resolution of 1024x768 (?) into widescreen or any other 16:9 format? With all due respect, we live in 2007. I'm able to tinker the game files, but if there's no way to change it, I'm thinking of bringing it back to the store. See also off topic.

Anyways and for your information, I looked into another post in this subforum, and can inform you that I bought a legal copy today (Sat 02 June, Free Record Shop Netherlands). Also other retailers have the game for sale (18 euro = ca. 25 $). Googling for widescreen support, mods andso, showed there were indeed illegal downloads of your game available. Note: Legion Arena and Cult of Mithras were never for retail sale overhere.

Off topic: If people don't have Legion Arena (incl. Cult of Mithras), then this game is not a bad buy. I had great fun with Legion Arena+, which I played on a 4:3 monitor. Now my specs have changed, and I see no new stuff and/or improvements in this version of the game. Which is also a good reason for me to return the game. Don't get me wrong, I still like the concept but I need more options, literally.

Thank you.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

There are a number of differences between Legion Arena and GBoR but also quite a lot in common. The new features include the completely new UI, high quality history channel movies, music and general polish so it feels like a whole new game. Gameplay wise the most significant changes are teh scouting and ambush features, allowing you and the enemy to hide troops in terrain and send out scouts to discover them. The only resolution supported is 1024x768 because the UI is built in 2D. We're developing a system to draw the UI in 3D so in future you'll be able to run in any resolution.
GWSB

Post by GWSB »

Thanks for the information. If you say in the future, you mean this for a next development, but not as in patch, I asume? I understand the limitation for this engine, so it must be a new development. As for the improvements you've mentioned, they are definitely there. Also the history story itself is much better worked out. However, a pity they didn't use footage of the romans in time: pre-marius era. And ... I miss a single player mission editor. Still I've played this game for about five hours. The distortion you get when playing in 16:9 is not so bad, although the 3D is more cartoonish. The gameplay again is addictive. So I keep it. The price was ok in relation to the quality of the game, including booklet and case. And knowing that console players can now also enjoy some RTS makes me happy.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Glad you are enjoying it - yes we mean in future games as far as 3D UI goes.
borsook79
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by borsook79 »

GWSB wrote:The distortion you get when playing in 16:9 is not so bad, although the 3D is more cartoonish.
I do not know what graphic card you have but most drivers allow to choose a 4:3 compatibility mode. It will leave you with black space on the left an right but at the same time the picture will not be distorted.
GWSB

Post by GWSB »

Yes, If you play in 4:3 on a widescreen you get the effects you describe and the game is normal. But if you have a widescreen, you just want to play games widescreen. My comment was to say that the graphics of this game are not so bad in comparison with other games (like Silent Hunter III).
borsook79

Post by borsook79 »

GWSB wrote:you just want to play games widescreen.
Really? I have widescreen and I prefer to play in 4:3, 16:9 is great for watching movies when I do not sit too close to the screen but with games I just have too much trouble to see the whole screen at once... not to mention the fact that I own only 2 games that do support widescreen.
GWSB

Post by GWSB »

Well, I've learned to play widescreen for most of my games: MTW2, RTW, Theatre of War, Rise & Fall of Civ, CoD2, Joint Task Force, Mafia, The Godfather, any flightsim, esp. Il2 Forgotten Battles, but alo BF-series (all), etc. A lot of titles have widescreen support. But I must admit I play on a 32" widescreen (LG LCD TV), so I have a perfect overview on any game.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We might be able to somethign but it wouldnt be very user friendly. I'll have a look if i get time.
traumadisaster
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re:

Post by traumadisaster »

IainMcNeil wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:32 pm We might be able to somethign but it wouldnt be very user friendly. I'll have a look if i get time.
Anyone get this in higher resolutions?

Return to “THE HISTORY CHANNEL Great Battles of Rome : Tech Support”