Stalingrad Campaign

Modders can post their questions on scripting and more.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

Fluffi
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Stalingrad Campaign

Post by Fluffi »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 pm Each LST file adds an entry into the list. It doesn't check for duplicated LST entries, so if you enter the same LST for download it will get listed multiple times. They are cached in your SAVES folder so you can delete them from there if desired.

Cheers

Pip
Never happened to me before but I guess that's just because I've started putting the folders into the MyGames folders instead of putting the LST link into the uploader.
rjh1971
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by rjh1971 »

I downloaded the campaign and fully enjoyed playing the first scenario. Great job!!!
GG AWD, WBTS, WiTE Beta Tester
Time of Fury Beta Tester
Panzer Corps, CtGW Beta Tester
Decisive campaigns Case Blue,Barbarossa, beta tester.
SC WiE, WaW, WWI Beta Tester
mpetri

Post by mpetri »

Does anyone know how to get the link to work? Amaris' website also appears to be down for me, so I can't download it there.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

mpetri wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:36 am Does anyone know how to get the link to work? Amaris' website also appears to be down for me, so I can't download it there.
Yes, his site no longer works for me either.

Fortunately, I think I have included his Stalingrad in my folder of old user created scenarios that I posted a few months ago;

viewtopic.php?f=221&t=100025

Amaris' campaign is called "Stalingrad", the Stalingrad42 folder is rico21's random scenario generator.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
mpetri

Post by mpetri »

Paul59 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:16 am
mpetri wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:36 am Does anyone know how to get the link to work? Amaris' website also appears to be down for me, so I can't download it there.

Fortunately, I think I have included his Stalingrad in my folder of old user created scenarios that I posted a few months ago;

Amaris' campaign is called "Stalingrad", the Stalingrad42 folder is rico21's random scenario generator.
Okay, I downloaded it and a couple other scenarios I hadn’t been able to track down that I remembered playing on my iPad. Thanks!

Tbh I’m always a little surprised that Slitherine never made a Stalingrad campaign for Battle Academy 2 since it’s probably the most iconic battle of the Eastern Front.
Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

mpetri wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Okay, I downloaded it and a couple other scenarios I hadn’t been able to track down that I remembered playing on my iPad. Thanks!

Tbh I’m always a little surprised that Slitherine never made a Stalingrad campaign for Battle Academy 2 since it’s probably the most iconic battle of the Eastern Front.
You aren't the only one petri; even now, I'm still somewhat confused as to why no Stalingrad campaign came to fruition, as surely there would have been a lot of potential given how widely recognized the battle is in mainstream history.

Part of me thinks it has something to do with low sales (compared to say, Close Combat or Order of Battle), along with the possibility of the BA2 engine not being able to handle that sort of campaign (alternatively, it could be because since we already have Kharkov in the game, which has a fair amount of urban combat, Slitherine thought that there wasn't any point in putting a Stalingrad campaign in since it is fundamentally similar to Kharkov, at least from a gameplay perspective). But we'll never know for sure WHY they decided to stop with just the Kursk add-on, and we may not get a clear answer either, so at this point we're pretty much left with the skirmish mode and this mod (which while I do find the mod to be quite impressive, it isn't exactly newcomer-friendly in terms of difficulty).

I've thought about doing a Stalingrad campaign myself, but decided against it on the grounds that I don't think I could actually get it to look and feel like a Stalingrad campaign (i.e. not enough detail or accuracy regarding geography of the region). That being said, I still think Amaris's mod holds up well despite how frustratingly difficult it can get at times.

Apologies for the long rant; I have a habit of going off on tangents from time to time.
mpetri

Post by mpetri »

DatMoff wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:25 am
mpetri wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:26 pm

You aren't the only one petri; even now, I'm still somewhat confused as to why no Stalingrad campaign came to fruition, as surely there would have been a lot of potential given how widely recognized the battle is in mainstream history.

Part of me thinks it has something to do with low sales (compared to say, Close Combat or Order of Battle), along with the possibility of the BA2 engine not being able to handle that sort of campaign (alternatively, it could be because since we already have Kharkov in the game, which has a fair amount of urban combat, Slitherine thought that there wasn't any point in putting a Stalingrad campaign in since it is fundamentally similar to Kharkov, at least from a gameplay perspective). But we'll never know for sure WHY they decided to stop with just the Kursk add-on, and we may not get a clear answer either, so at this point we're pretty much left with the skirmish mode and this mod (which while I do find the mod to be quite impressive, it isn't exactly newcomer-friendly in terms of difficulty).

I've thought about doing a Stalingrad campaign myself, but decided against it on the grounds that I don't think I could actually get it to look and feel like a Stalingrad campaign (i.e. not enough detail or accuracy regarding geography of the region). That being said, I still think Amaris's mod holds up well despite how frustratingly difficult it can get at times.

Apologies for the long rant; I have a habit of going off on tangents from time to time.
That makes sense a lot of sense honestly; I think the latter part about them maybe deciding it was too similar to the Kharkov missions gameplay wise is probably the most likely rationale. It's disappointing because I would have happily paid for another couple campaigns, much like how the original Battle Academy has like eight additional campaigns plus the main game. Oh well, it is was it is I suppose.

The campaign would be rather fun to play from either side; I think Amaris did a good job of showing just how brutal urban combat, especially in Stalingrad, is, but not having the medic upgrade for every mission makes things rather difficult since it seems like the Soviets' accuracy and effectiveness has been bumped up.

Personally I don't really know anything about creating a campaign(or technology in general--my parents don't really like technology so I wasn't really exposed to them as much as many kids are these days with iPhones and such ) but I would be happy to help with research and stuff if you decided to give making a Stalingrad campaign a shot. I have Antony Beevor's excellent book on the battle sitting at home.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Given that Amaris has already done the hard work of making the maps and the new Stalingrad terrain objects, it would be very easy to just edit his existing scenarios to make them a bit easier. Just give the player side some more units in each scenario and/or some extra bonuses.

You must ask for his permission first though.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Fluffi

Post by Fluffi »

Paul59 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:41 pm Given that Amaris has already done the hard work of making the maps and the new Stalingrad terrain objects, it would be very easy to just edit his existing scenarios to make them a bit easier. Just give the player side some more units in each scenario and/or some extra bonuses.

You must ask for his permission first though.
I honestly don't know if Amaris is even still active anymore, considering his website seems to be no longer accessible (that or the links to his website no longer work).

Though to be fair, I'm not really big on changing someone else's maps for any reason, mainly because it just seems counterintuitive to what the creator had in mind.

Return to “Battle Academy 2: Modders Corner”