Battlefield: Europe MOD v2.4

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v2.4

Post by PeteMitchell »

Some people take notes as well or plan out next moves on paper (i.e. by when with whom to be where)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Rockety
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rockety »

One last question if I may, i tried to search the forum but wasnt successfull finding information.

Is there any benefit for buying a more expensive transportation of same type for a unit over the cheaper options if not reflected via stats?

example:

8.8cm Flak - Sdkfz 7 or Sdkfz 8 or Sdkfz 9, I don't see any difference besides the looks, not that 35 prestige changes the world, just out of interest.

thanks
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I am not aware of any. Uhu may know
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Rockety wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:17 pm Is there any benefit for buying a more expensive transportation of same type for a unit over the cheaper options if not reflected via stats?

example:

8.8cm Flak - Sdkfz 7 or Sdkfz 8 or Sdkfz 9, I don't see any difference besides the looks, not that 35 prestige changes the world, just out of interest.
Hi, I am not sure what you mean. In the Battlefield: Europe MOD the 8.8cm Flak can only be towed by the SdKfz 7, as historically that was the standard tractor of that AA gun. Likewise, the bigger and heavier 10.5cm Flak can only be towed by the more powerful but also more expensive SdKfz 8.

In theory, obviously the SdKfz 8 or the even bigger SdKfz 9 could also tow the 8.8 Flak, but as you pointed out correctly that would not make much sense, unless there was no available SdKfz 7 tractor nearby. So I guess it only happened occasionally or in emergencies. But there is no such mechanic in the game, once you attach a transport to a unit it stays with it forever (unless you downgrade it for some reason). And the SdKfz 7 is always available as a transport so I don't see the point why would anyone want to add the more expensive SdKfz 8 or 9 to the 8.8cm Flak.

Are you sure that you are running the vanilla mod without any other 3rd party modification installed over it?
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
Locarnus
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Locarnus »

McGuba wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:34 pm
Rockety wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:17 pm Is there any benefit for buying a more expensive transportation of same type for a unit over the cheaper options if not reflected via stats?

example:

Hi, I am not sure what you mean. In the Battlefield: Europe MOD the 8.8cm Flak can only be towed by the SdKfz 7, as historically that was the standard tractor of that AA gun. Likewise, the bigger and heavier 10.5cm Flak can only be towed by the more powerful but also more expensive SdKfz 8.

In theory, obviously the SdKfz 8 or the even bigger SdKfz 9 could also tow the 8.8 Flak, but as you pointed out correctly that would not make much sense, unless there was no available SdKfz 7 tractor nearby. So I guess it only happened occasionally or in emergencies. But there is no such mechanic in the game, once you attach a transport to a unit it stays with it forever (unless you downgrade it for some reason). And the SdKfz 7 is always available as a transport so I don't see the point why would anyone want to add the more expensive SdKfz 8 or 9 to the 8.8cm Flak.

Are you sure that you are running the vanilla mod without any other 3rd party modification installed over it?

My apologies, that specific 8.8cm Flak with SdKfz 7, 8 or 9 is something from my Addon.
It was an attempt to add an in between "tier" to the upgrade system.
So that eg a downgrade from 10.5cm Flak (which has no AT mode) to 8.8cm Flak (for that AT mode) would still cost full price for the unit itself, but the player would not have to pay for the smaller SdKfz 7 transport as well (if the player already has the SdKfz 8 or 9 for the 10.5cm Flak).

@Rockety: The only benefit beyond stats are the potential upgrade options. Though in that specific case, I would simply go with the SdKfz 7, since the bigger Flak is usually not worth the conversion costs anyway.
As far as I know, the Opel Blitz truck / Opel Maultier is an example where upgrade options might have a benefit in niche cases (with and without Addon). Though in that case, the transport itself can also be upgraded.
Unfortunately I have not yet found a good way to display those (rare) potential benefits to the player.
longer, alternative "PG" like Campaign new version 0.34 from 2011.08.02 (another bugfix & now in zip format)
Rockety
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Rockety »

Yes it is indeed not the vanila version of the mod, it is with the the Locarnus mod : )

Thank you all for the quick responses!
ZloyMazay
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ZloyMazay »

Impressive MOD.
What about Wermacht trophy ?
1.JPG
1.JPG (15.66 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
For those about to play PzC, we salute you !
Locarnus

Post by Locarnus »

Hello McGuba,

I would love to hear your opinion on those "upgrade family separators".
Imho they have been working rather well for improving orientation in the purchasing and upgrade screens.
Perhaps they could be helpful for Battlefield Europe as well?

Eg to show the player that StuG III B, E and StuH 42 are in the same family. Or the Ju 88 and Ju 188 bomber and recons sharing an upgrade family.

longer, alternative "PG" like Campaign new version 0.34 from 2011.08.02 (another bugfix & now in zip format)
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Locarnus wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:57 pm I would love to hear your opinion on those "upgrade family separators".
Yes, it may be a good idea to do so. However, there are not so many units as in the "Addon", which adds a plethora of different subtypes and variants. Also, most of these, like the StuG III B, E and StuH 42 or the Ju 88 - Ju 188 are in the same family in the vanilla game as well and thus there is no change in this regard in the mod itself. And whenever there is a not-so obvious change like the Pz.III to Panther in-family upgrade option there is usually at least one in-game message box to inform the player about that. And then there are the in-family upgrade charts in the Library for reference which give not only the branches but also the approximate availability dates so that players can prepare for the arrival of a certain new unit in a unit family.
ImageImage
Sleezly
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Sleezly »

Really appreciate your work on this! Thank you! :D
Der_Kuenstler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Der_Kuenstler »

I LOVE this mod! It's still better than 95% of the new PC games they sell now. I am trying to fully understand my prestige per turn, and have noticed that for the first 19 turns or so, 100 gets added to it as soon as I hit "end turn." Then the total prestige for the turn appears at the end of the computer move. What is this first 100 prestige from and why does it appear separately?
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Der_Kuenstler wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:12 am I LOVE this mod! It's still better than 95% of the new PC games they sell now. I am trying to fully understand my prestige per turn, and have noticed that for the first 19 turns or so, 100 gets added to it as soon as I hit "end turn." Then the total prestige for the turn appears at the end of the computer move. What is this first 100 prestige from and why does it appear separately?
https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 62#p585662

I think it is this
Der_Kuenstler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Der_Kuenstler »

Thank you - looks like the 100 is for owning Romanian oil. But McGuba's post is 8 years old, and it appears that some of the prestige gains/losses have changed. For example, he says you can get 50 prestige points (up to a maximum of 200) for each naval unit (submarine or ship) blocking a convoy route. But now it appears that it is 25 points. Where can I find the updated (ver. 2.4) prestige numbers?
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I guess McGuba will reply directly once he gets online...
It is explained somewhere in these 180 pages of this BE thread... where, I don't remember...
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

OK, so now I try to gather the prestige allocation of the current version. Note that this is mainly for the single player "Realistic+" version of the main scenaio, there may be some slight differencies in the other single player versions or the multiplayer one. Also note that this may not be complete...

I think that this should also be included in the in-game Library for reference. The equation is quite complex though, so it may just confuse some players. The best thing is probably not to worry too much about these, just try to play reasonably and not to exploit the prestige mechanics since the mod usually does not tolarate such exploits like spending all the prestige at the end of the turn in order to avoid an exessive prestige penalty (since prestige cannot go bellow 0). Penalties therefore are usally deducted after the allocations are given.

These are of course if the game is played at 100% prestige allocation, as normally recommended. If played on Rommel everything is halved.

Continuous prestige for holding key Axis cities

40 prestige points are given at the beginning of every turn for holding each of these cities: Budapest, Bucharest, Paris, Rome, Trondheim, Tunis. That's 240 prestige points per turn form turn 1.

This is the main prestige income in the beginning. As such, it is a fairly reliable and fixed income, albeit later becoming less significant: if the player is on the winning path he can get more for the oil fields, if he is on the losing path he will get less and less of this as he keeps losing these cities.

Minor Axis contribution

Minor Axis nations will contribute to the upkeep of their armed forces. This contribution is only given if they still have at least a certain number of infantry units. The Axis nations will provide the following at the beginning of each turn from early 1942 (turn 20):
- Italy will add 24 prestige points if they have at least 8 infantry units
- Romania will add 18 prestige points if they have at least 6 infantry units
- Hungary will add 9 prestige points if they have at least 3 infantry units
- Croatia will add 6 prestige points if they have at least 2 infantry units
- Bulgaria will add 3 prestige points if they have at least 1 infantry unit
- Slovakia will add 3 prestige points if they have 1 infantry unit

That's all together 63 prestige points per turn from turn 20 as long as all these Minor Axis nations have their given minimum amount of infantry units on the map. This is to discourage the Axis player from wasting the Minor Axis armies senselessly and/or to move them back from the frontline if they suffer high losses in order to keep the minimum amount of these units alive as long as possible. Which is more or less in line with the historical events.

The Battle of the Atlantic

Each Axis naval unit (U-boat or ship) in the North Atlantic convoy route hexes give 25 prestige points per turn (up to maximum 100 per turn / 4 such units)

In addition, the Axis gets 100 prestige points for the sinking of each Allied convoy ship unit on the North Atlantic convoy routes at the beginning of the next turn after the sinking.

Oil fields

Each oil field gives 40 prestige points per turn to the Axis but if the Axis captures an oil field from the Allies it takes 12 turns to repair the oil field and it will only start to generate the prestige income after this 12 turn delay. If an oil field changes owner during this period then the delay will not start over again when it is recaptured by the Axis but continues where it was left of. (That is, if, for example the Allies recapture an oil field that was held by the Axis for 6 turns and then the Axis captures it again some time later then it has to hold it for another 6 turns in order to get the 40 prestige per turn.)

Also note that in single player games the Allied side gets 50 prestige points per turn for each oil field that it owns and in multiplayer 40, same as the Axis.

Fixed prestige allocation for gradually increased war economy

From turn 20 the Axis gets an additional 100 prestige points at the end of each turn after the economy is geared to full war production.

From turn 44 the Axis gets yet another additional 100 prestige points at the end of each turn after the effectiveness of the economy is further increased.

On top of these, if the Axis is on the losing path (the Soviet Union has not been defeated and the Axis does not own any victory objective cities in Britain) it gets an additional 100 prestige points at the end of each turn from turn 77.

One time fixed prestige rewards for strategic achievements

1500 prestige points for the capture of every victory objective city in mainland Britain
1000 prestige points for the capture of every victory objective city in North Africa and the Middle East
1000 prestige points for the capture of every victory objective city in the Soviet Union (not including the ones in the Caucasus - objective cities marked with "C")
500 prestige points for the capture of every victory objective city in the Caucasus (objective cities marked with "C")
1000 prestige points for the capture of every victory objective around Leningrad (including the airfields)
1000 prestige points for the capture of every victory objective around Moscow (including the airfields)
1000 prestige points for the capture of Malta
500 prestige points for the capture of the Stalingrad victory objective hex on the Volga river

Wonder weapons

The Axis gets 100 prestige points for each V-1 or V-2 rocket that can reach a victory objective city hex in Britain. (Presumably the objective hexes in London, not including the port hex.)

In multiplayer it is enough to reach any ground hex of mainland Britain.

Penalties

Allied strategic bombing of German victory objective cities: 100 per turn for each city per turn (up to 300). (This is planned to be increased to 150/450 in the next version.)

200 prestige points penalty for the Allied strategic bombing of the Romanian oil field.

50 prestige points penalty per turn for each partisan unit on the railroad hexes around the Pripat marshes (up to a maximum of 150).

The loss of the Scharnhorst and/or the Gneisenau results in a 200 prestige points penalty. The prestige is deducted after a random number of turns, following the loss of any or each of these capital ships. However, this penalty can only be deducted until turn 86.

The loss of the Tirpitz results in a 250 prestige points penalty. The prestige is deducted after a random number of turns, following the loss of this capital ship. However, this penalty can only be deducted until turn 86.
ImageImage
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Wow, this list is impressive by itself!
Der_Kuenstler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Der_Kuenstler »

This is great - thank you McGuba! I'm playing on moderate so I'm assuming my six cities are giving 50 points each, not 40, as indicated by my math.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Der_Kuenstler wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:38 am This is great - thank you McGuba! I'm playing on moderate so I'm assuming my six cities are giving 50 points each, not 40, as indicated by my math.
Yes, indeed, in the moderate version of the big scenario major Axis cities give 50 prestige instead of 40, but there is no Minor Axis contribution for keeping alive their infantry units. Therefore these can be lost without a penalty. And the oil fields captured from the Allies give 50 prestige each, and the already existing Axis oil field in Romania gives 100. So yes, the prestige allocation is a bit different in the moderate version, a bit easier and simpler, as the name suggests.

Also note that when the scenario is started these are all explained in message boxes at the very beginning of the 1st turn.
ImageImage
Der_Kuenstler
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Der_Kuenstler »

Many thanks- I'm wondering what these little striped towers are on the map?

towers.jpg
towers.jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 271 times
glaude1955

Post by glaude1955 »

These are border markers

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”