fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

PARAITAKENE 317 BC

Post by fogman »

RE-DESIGNED VERSION
Fm Paraitakene 316 BC.zip
(6.77 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
A complete overhaul. Paraitakene was my second scenario and was a bland themed DAG game. This version incorporates the event-flow design and other techniques introduced later.

Event-flow:
In typical Greek fashion, both sides have placed their strongest forces on the right. Yet, Antigonos' second-in-command, Peithon, positioned on the weak wing, rashly attacked with his cavalry and was routed. Eumenes' superior infantry confidently advanced and smashed the Antigonid phalanx. With both his left wing and centre reeling back, Antigonos saw the gap between Eumenes' left wing cavalry and the infantry centre. Into it he went with his powerful cavalry wing, forcing Eumenes' victorious troops to turn back. The day ended in a draw.

Battles at the time were highly specialized, with light troops skirmishing light troops, then heavy infantry went in against heavy infantry, while cavalry fought cavalry on the wing. Combined arms tactics were non existent. It is often the side with the victorious cavalry, if it could stay on the battlefield and not wander off in pursuit, that carried the day. Map overlay are used to prevent both sides from combining their cavalry wings with the infantry centre, until the later stages of the battle. As with all my scenarios, light infantry are not modeled as they only played a non decisive preliminary role.

81 moving BGs, 11 turns.
same file name as first version, so first version needs to be deleted first.
No FOW, no Double Moves
-----------------------------------------------------------
OLD

Update: map and unit placement revisions.
Fm Paraitakene 316 BC.zip
(5.78 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
---------------------------------------------------
OLD

I'm mining my large academic library to design a new series of historically accurate battles.

This diodachi battle is based on three sources:

Antigonos the One-Eyed (Richard Billows, University of California Press, 1990)
The Legacy of Alexander (A.B. Bosworth, Oxford University Press, 2002)
Alexander's veterans and the early wars of the successors (Joseph Roisman, University of Texas Press, 2012)

Should be played without FOW and without double moves.
Last edited by fogman on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: PARAITAKENE 316 BC

Post by ZeaBed »

Thank you for this scenario fogman. I love the Diodachi battles since I began playing the GBoH scenarios back in '98.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

A big thank you to you.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

I have good info on two other diodachi battles: gabiene and gaza. Coming soon to a phalanx near you.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

fogman wrote:I have good info on two other diodachi battles: gabiene and gaza. Coming soon to a phalanx near you.

I once began to scenario Raphia for GBoH but someone beat me to it and went overboard with it, so I decided not to offer up my contribution. The FoG custom scenario for Raphia is much better than the old concept for GBoH.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

I found your scenario very lively, fogman. Good job.

Playing the One-Eyed, I was able to rout the Eumenid left wing but not fast enough to prevent my center and a good portion of my left wing from getting clobbered. I was winning until I lost. This would be an ideal scenario for release in an upcoming gamepack, as the addition of camps and baggage would give the Antigonids the chance to raid the Eumenid camp and even provide a result similar to the historical battle, where Antigonus held the Aspyrargid baggage hostage.

fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

you're confusing paraikatene with gabiene. it was at the later battle that eumenes' baggage was taken. looks like the silver shields did their dirty work again. thanks for the input.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

fogman wrote:you're confusing paraikatene with gabiene. it was at the later battle that eumenes' baggage was taken. looks like the silver shields did their dirty work again. thanks for the input.
Indeed I did confuse the two. It was the year (216 BC) that must have thrown me.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

updated
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Re-designed.