Campaign: The Desert Rats (17 Scenarios)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

bodenhek
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Campaign: The Desert Rats (17 Scenarios)

Post by bodenhek »

Can you point me to a guide on how to save and run this campaign?
WookieeDavidson
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by WookieeDavidson »

bodenhek wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 am Can you point me to a guide on how to save and run this campaign?
download the file
unzip it to Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\Campaigns

if there is no Campaigns folder then make one

then just launch PanzerCorps 2 and select the campaign
GUNDOBALDO08
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by GUNDOBALDO08 »

Thanks for your job Wookiee,
could You give historical divisional denomination to axis units? I love to know if I’m fighting against 21 Panzer Division or Ariete or Trieste Divisions....
JDINO
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JDINO »

Please i cant open on RaR
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

JDINO wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:39 am Please i cant open on RaR
The freeware 7-Zip can open .rar files :idea:
I have this software installed on all my computers.
JDINO
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JDINO »

If not to much trouble can yon convert from RAR to zip ? I'm green on the laptop Thanks
JDINO
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JDINO »

Desert Rats cant open .....Error opening the archive (check available disk space, that you have a valid password or that the archive is not damaged or partial). Can some one help me I'm not to good on computer
MagicAndre1981
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by MagicAndre1981 »

JDINO wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:30 pm Desert Rats cant open .....Error opening the archive (check available disk space, that you have a valid password or that the archive is not damaged or partial). Can some one help me I'm not to good on computer
Install 7zip ( https://www.7-zip.org/download.html ), extract the RAR with 7zip and, create a new folder called Campaigns under your documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\ folder put the extracted DesertRats folder into it:
desertrats.png
desertrats.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Start PC2, start a new Campaign and select the desert rats one.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

There are online RAR to ZIP file converters: https://convertio.co/rar-zip/
Danger
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Danger »

I am currently playing Operation Crusader and on Generallissimus, I don't know how to hold the airfield. The forward units get swamped from the west & north with tanks and the accuracy debuff makes you lose the fight against the infantry. Maybe provide one Engineer to entrench faster?
mikeydredd
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mikeydredd »

Followed the above advice, created campaigns folder in my docs:
C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\Campaigns\DesertRats2.0

Start game no campaign. All other mods are there (although got those via Steam Workshop), any advice?
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Grondel »

@mikeydredd

try:
C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\mods\Campaigns\DesertRats2.0

maybe u will have to create the mods folder if not present
mikeydredd
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by mikeydredd »

Grondel wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:06 pm @mikeydredd

try:

Thanks tried that no luck, all the other Mods are also available via Steam Workshop and appear both in Campaigns and Mods on the start up screen, this one just doesn't appear. I have all of the custom campaigns listed (that are in the Workshop) in PC1 GC, Storm over Europe, Big Red One, Operation Wishbone etc as well as unit mods etc

Tried to find were these folders are but cant find them as wondered if added this to that folder would work.
Grondel
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Grondel »

@mikeydredd

the steam-workshop has its own area of the game. better not mess around with that ;)
WookieeDavidson
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by WookieeDavidson »

mikeydredd wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:36 am
Grondel wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:06 pm @mikeydredd

try:

Thanks tried that no luck, all the other Mods are also available via Steam Workshop and appear both in Campaigns and Mods on the start up screen, this one just doesn't appear. I have all of the custom campaigns listed (that are in the Workshop) in PC1 GC, Storm over Europe, Big Red One, Operation Wishbone etc as well as unit mods etc

Tried to find were these folders are but cant find them as wondered if added this to that folder would work.
Don't place it inside your mods folder, place it here

*Drive*:\Users\*Your Name*\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps 2\Campaigns
kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon »

Well I'll start out that there is some good content here that seems initially well thought out but it REALLY REALLY needs work. The Africa scenarios with the exception of the "Hold The Airfield" were well done.The condition to hold the airfield or fail is currently impossible. I tried a number of times but the best I could do was to get my units to the airfield the turn (4) it fell to overwhelming Panzer/Infanty attack. I had to use a cheat code to temp give the unit on the airfield an insane level of fortification to get past it. El Alamein seemed impossible but was actually easily finished in the given time due to the LRDG group in the depression and that was well done.

The above goes all to hell in Italy however. These scenarios are completely impossible. Salerno/Race to the Volturno should either be split into 2 scenarios or given about 35 turns as that is what it took me after a couple of tries. I also have to wonder about what the 82nd AB units are for. They are stuck in a box canyon with no way to move out and contribute to the battle. Whether they succede, get wiped out or do nothing contributes nothing. The Next Scenario "The Volturno RIver" is right fantasy. 12 Turns in I've not been able to get across the river, except a tiny bridgehead in the center due to the insane number of German units available and I'm not a complete idiot as to the game. There is no way in hell I'll be able to break through to the final objectives in 26 turns. I'm not sure what the bridge units for as with the swampland surrounding the Volturno they are so far complete and utterly useless. No unit has enough movement points to cross them.

If this is a bit harsh it is due to the frustration some of the scenarios create. I would suggest you edit your scenarios a bit and get some feedback on them, or at least play through them a bit more to make them an enjoyable experience. You've obviously put alot of work into these but the whole things falls through if it create a frustrating experience for the people trying to play them.

I got to turn 50 in Volturno River and I still had not finished the objectives. I tried it again and got stuck trying to break out from the Bridgehead, There is just an endless stream of German Infantry and Tanks that make this scenario completely unplayable. At this point I really have to ask, do you test what you create? I think not. I think you had a good idea for this but it was rubbish due to 2 factors.

1. The Bridge units are 100% worthless due to the terrain. Nothing can cross them so an attempt to bridge the Volturno to flank the static bridge defenses is not possible and the units rendered useless. If you could fix the map to make the bridging units usable then MAYBE this would be playable with a larger British Force and more turns.

2. There is, especially when dealing with Western Allied units a HUGE German bias. It's really bad. I had cases where a 13pt British infantry was attacking a 2pt, un dug in German Wehr infantry in equal terrain and it ended with the British unit taking a 3 pt loss and the German unit a 1 point loss. WTH? The game to date has obviously been tailored to the Eastern Front with a heavy German Bias to make the DLCs more fun. There has been no play balance at all for the Western Front, I saw the same issues with the "BIg Red One' campaign.

Using the cheat code to get past this mess. Hopefully the next few are a bit better.
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

kverdon "Harsh!"... is a good thing/tool... if it speaks the truth... and uncovers defects-deficiencies.

I didn't carefully read everything you wrote... but i do see the 'Spirit' behind the substance... and instantly recognized that you are true to the right-track of the analysis of this project delivery!. Keep on doing so!!!. We need a 'Spectacular-Game'... not a 'Mundane-Game'.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

True enough. The scenario was very frustrating but what was the most frustrating is that it was obvious that the scenario creator did not test the scenario before putting it online for folks to download. if he had, he would have observed that the bridge units do not work with the terrain and that the scenario was impossible in 26 turns. I was finally able to force 2 crossing by turn 26 and then, resetting the turn count, completed the scenario in 51 turns. The time and effort that went it to its creation was commendable but like a chef preparing a meal, if you don't taste the food as you go you wind up with something either extremely bland or way over spiced. Neither are pleasant.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Moved onto the next scenario "Villy Bocage" hoping things would get better. Sadly this is not the case. Again, an untested scenario. Major Issues:

1. US Forces given no motor transport so are way to slow moving to accomplish the objectives in time. (this for the most motorized army in the world). They also lack any arty or TD, fortunately my Brit units were able to do a bit of reverse lend lease and help out.

2. Woefully short on turns. On Turn 20 I have about 1/2 the objectives accomplished with 6 turns left. I would estimate this scenario will require another 15 to 20 turns to complete.

Edit: I was pretty accurate in my guess. It took another 15 turns to complete.
kverdon

Post by kverdon »

Moved on to "Brigade Box". Anther impossible, unwinnable scenario. The force to defend the "Brigade Box" has really no chance do the insane ammount of mobile nebelwerfer units the German sides. If 2 fire an any unit holding an objective hex, the until be forced to retreat even when backed up with either AT or Arty because it so suppressed. Instant loss. You can deploy 12 units. There will be 3 Panzerwerfer 42, 7 Panther Gs, 1 Tiger, 7 Pzkw IV H, 12 Inf attacking the "Brigade Box" way before you meager 5 units of the reinforcement group will be able to get there.

Again, obviously not tested. It just amazes me that someone would put this out for download without testing it or even really having a clear picture of how the game works. You would have a meager chance of pulling it off *IF* you only had to hold 2 of the 3 objective hexes, or they were evaluated at for control at the end of the scenario. Making the loss of a single objective hex is just poor design. It's going to happen to one of them with what you have coming against you. The enemy shows up on turn 2 so no time to dig in, especially since you only initially only can setup on 1 of the 3 objective hexes and, since it is raining, will take 2 turns to get units into position.

Looking at the scenario in the editor it gets more crazy. You also have to defeat another 8 or so infanty and a half dozen Jagdpanzer IV or Stug IV and capture to objectives, at far distant locations in 18 turns. Oh, yes, it rains 80% of the turns so movement is pretty slow. (it also makes taking any airpower a waste of time).

The scenario is not even a good representation of the actual battle. What should be happening in the scenario is that th e player corps (22nd Brigade 7th Armored) should be in the "Box" trying to defend and then there should be a set group of auxiliary units from the 50th Northumberland in the NW to make the attempt to break in an liberate the "Brigade Box".

Over the years I've played well designed scenarios like this that are nail biters right to the end and, if the player executes well you can just pull it off. This one does not fall into that category. It is just poorly designed.

I would ask that the designer, before they think about putting together another campaign, sit down and play one you design a few times and look at how it will play out without knowing all the details in advance. Perhaps have a friend or 2 test it first or at the very least put it out as an alpha or beta campaign and then be prepared to listen to the feedback and make the appropriate adjustments.

Return to “Panzer Corps 2 Scenario Design”