The Order of Battle Spring 2022 Invitational Tournament

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: The Order of Battle Spring 2022 Invitational Tournament

Post by Shards »

The same rules apply as a normal tournament. If your opponent doesn't play your points will be increased.
stevefprice
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by stevefprice »

Out of curiosity, what happens regarding points if a player resigns?

I did a hotseat trial and resigned Kesa as the Russians in turn 1. The Germans then got a major victory but a mere 2 points. I'd have thought you get maximum points or at the least the same points as a 'bye'?
Celeborn
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Celeborn »

I am surprised to see that almost a quarter of the matches timed out.

I imagine it is not easy to determine if it is due to negligence on the part of one player but if it can be done with reasonable confidence I hope those players are excluded from future invitationals.

I think a big part of the problem with this sort of thing is that players have no "skin in the game" ie if they abandon a game they simply score poorly in that round. (and perhaps are kicked out of that tournament) If players had to pay a modest entry fee and would then be eligible for some sort of prize for finishing near the top this problem might well disappear.
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

I also wonder if anyone else wishes there was a way to prevent players from hot-seating tournament scenarios.
Netballman
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Netballman »

Celeborn wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:59 pm I am surprised to see that almost a quarter of the matches timed out.

I imagine it is not easy to determine if it is due to negligence on the part of one player but if it can be done with reasonable confidence I hope those players are excluded from future invitationals.
I i was rather put out in the first round as being marked as "timed out" in my match. My opponent got a points boost but I did not. We had a good chat conversation throughout the game (which was up to about t13) and both of us had missed some days sick. However, for no good reason I can see, I was penalised but he was not - was this just because it happened to be my turn at the point of timing out of the game? Not very equitable (doubly so as I was well ahead to that point)!
roywfw
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by roywfw »

I know you've heard this before but my opponent has, apparently, not submitted a turn and I just want to be assured that the game, moderator or whatever is aware that I have submitted mine. The thing that is causing my concern is that the score shows my opponent has 2 points and I have 0. How does that happen when I know that I have submitted my 1st (setup) turn and have no idea whether my opponent has submitted anything? He/she certainly hasn't submitted anything after my submission.

... Never mind... We are now under way.
KarisFraMauro
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by KarisFraMauro »

Drat I wasn't paying attention and missed out because I didn't realize things had changed to invitational. I'll definitely be up for it next time :)
blondus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by blondus »

ok guys, looks like I'm going to face the invincible admiral!
Any suggestion is accepted, help me! :D
LynxCom
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by LynxCom »

blondus wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:18 am ok guys, looks like I'm going to face the invincible admiral!
:wink:

rm116
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by rm116 »

I know this is off topic, but if you could assist- Where can I locate the scenario download for 'Ocean Point'? It seems that when I log into the multiplayer game index, it permits me to join an Ocean Point challenge, but then the challenge I have joined never proceeds> I checked my scenarios folder and can't locate OP anywhere.

Now, back on topic, the invitational tourney is quite enjoyable. Thanks for the good work. :D
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

blondus wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:18 am ok guys, looks like I'm going to face the invincible admiral!
I have only played him once in Coral Sea and lost, though I was not as familiar with the scenario. No one is invincible if you do the little things correct and do some hotseat practice.

Sez the guy who can't even crack the top 10...
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

I have played and lost to the Admiral a couple of times. My advice is to play conservatively, he'll be sure to punish any rash moves.
stevefprice

Post by stevefprice »

I lost to him in round 1. I lost badly. Key thing is he trains. That may sound odd but if you want to be good at something, train. Top sportspeople Train.

As Gary Player said "The harder I practise, the luckier I get."

Training is not just playing the battles but assess the terrain, the units, how far they move and when stuff happens, resources etc...

If you know light tanks can get there first and hold whilst you slower heavy stuff arrives you can grab stuff faster. To do that you need to train, ie hotseat the scenario. To the end. So you know what happens to both sides.

For example, in Crescent Bay US Marines can get Buffalos so can traverse the northern river without waiting for a bridge.Possibly a flaw in the scenario but it is there for both sides.

Whether such training is for everyone (we all have busy lives) but there is a reason AdmiralYamato is consistently at the top.

Oh, and watch out for the para drops ;-)
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

Indeed in my game with Cagi he used both the Buffalos and a para drop to put me in a real hole at the beginning. It did not help that I forgot to buy Japanese reinforcements on turn 1 and so was bounced out of the northern VP location fairly quickly.

There is much to be said for understanding what every available unit can do though this can involve a good bit of hotseat playtesting. Hotseat is also important for understanding the details of the reinforcement schedule (which I wish they would just include in the briefing).

Re the next round I noticed that Muddy is 18 turns which will require a higher tempo to finish on time...
stevefprice

Post by stevefprice »

Celeborn wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:21 pm
Re the next round I noticed that Muddy is 18 turns which will require a higher tempo to finish on time...
Sadly my current opponent is struggling with work commitments so we have only had a few turn, then I waited all week for him, only for us to get one turn in each over the weekend and now I'm waiting again.

I can't see it being completed in time. Very frustrating
amenhotep13
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by amenhotep13 »

Hello every one,

Does someone could tell me what are the reward points for Gold and Silver locations in the OOB's Slitherine tournaments please ?

I can't find this anywhere 🤔. I must not be gifted...

On another way, where can i find the entire rules ?

I'm intended to play many many more OOB's tournaments and i want to be on the top 😉

Thanks
stevefprice

Post by stevefprice »

@Shards

So the player that failed to finish round 1 and then failed to finish round 2 gets a bye into round 3. WTF!!!

We only had about 6 turns in our round 2 which is is annoying as I was all over him, building up a score and likely to get his locations but did not even score a 90 like others get for no shows.

His 3rd round score is higher than my 2nd round because his inaction meant I wasn't able to get turns in.

It's game but don't reward inaction and apathy. Poor, really poor!

By rewarding no shows you actually drive away those that do want to play as they then don't see the point in bothering.
OOBTournament.JPG
OOBTournament.JPG (153.95 KiB) Viewed 695 times
amenhotep13
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by amenhotep13 »

Hi all,

When this private tournament will be completed may i suggest something ?

Since The Admiral is scaring everybody and is the "man to kill" 😁 we could make another private and special tournament : "The Admiral against the rest of the world"

Like a chessmaster, he could challenge some or all of us in a pair of games simultaneously.

Of course if he wants it and have the time to do it 😀 ... and if this is technically possible

Just an idea...😉
Celeborn

Post by Celeborn »

amenhotep13 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:53 pm Hi all,

When this private tournament will be completed may i suggest something ?

Since The Admiral is scaring everybody and is the "man to kill" 😁 we could make another private and special tournament : "The Admiral against the rest of the world"

Like a chessmaster, he could challenge some or all of us in a pair of games simultaneously.

Of course if he wants it and have the time to do it 😀 ... and if this is technically possible

Just an idea...😉
He doesn’t scare me. :-)

The match-ups play a big role which has me wishing for an even more selective tournament…perhaps only this who have multiple top 10 finishes.
rth

Post by rth »

Hallo

I think the entire invitation tournament is very good and exciting.

Here I know that I always get very good to good opponents.

Maybe 5 rounds would have been better for everyone.

I hope that there will be a new edition of this invitation tournament.

Since the Admiral is "the measure of all things" here, he might get a -10% handicap on his resource points in every preparation phase ................. sorry was just kidding and would be very unfair.

Many thanks to the tournament director and keep up the good work.

greeting
Ralf

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Multiplayer”