Beta 0.6 First Impressions from MrsWargamer

Open beta forum

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Beta 0.6 First Impressions from DSWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

My first download failed. No idea why. Second was ok.

If you are running the game for the first time we’d really like to know your first impressions.

• How does the user interface feel?
Not complicated enough I couldn't logic it out, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to just write what any function does beside the icon. The buttons were not always self evident what they did till I thought about it a moment. Most functions were only revealed by blindly clicking on them.
But the interface responds cleanly and evenly and without delay. I like that the mouse activated controls are very easy to employ. I like how choices available show up and choices not available disappear.

• How does the game look?
Graphically simple. I LIKE simple, have no beef with simple. I like the size the images appear as. Frankly I am not fond of small unit image sizes.

• Did you understand what you were supposed to do?
I think I might have sped through messages a bit too impulsively, and I have a lame short term memory. Might be wise to allow for a message retrieval option (if it doesn't already exist and I just didn't notice it).

• Did you enjoy the scenarios?
Yes I thought the one I played was fun. I ran the tutorial and found it to the point and straight forward. Brief, but I didn't feel a need for much more.

• Were there any bugs?
I didn't experience anything on my first go through.

• Did you find the game too easy or too hard?
I found the first encounter blindingly easy actually. Almost felt like I was shooting targets not opponents. But it was only the first fight.

• What is your overall impression of the game?
First thought was ALRIIIIIGHT. I've been wanting a game at this scale for a while actually. One that is turn based, likes a modern computer and OS, And has a simple interface that doesn't need a lengthy tutorial just to explain that which could have been made self evident.
I'm a diehard tactical gamer, but I prefer my games more about having fun than having a lot of work. This game felt fun. War in the Pacific, now that's all about work in my gamer viewpoint.

Tomorrow I will be taking this game for a long walk me thinks :) It's omg late though right now, so this review is going to be short.

This title so belongs on a console :) Had to get that plug in there :)
We had Panzer General once upon a time, then all the wargames got mired in being too hard to sell to the casual young gamer. Too wrapped up in detail, too complicated.
This game is a refreshing change.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Glad you seem to be enjoying it! All the action buttons should have tooltips, so I will have to go through and double check we haven't missed any.

Looking forward to your further observations :)

Cheers

Pip
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Grr every time I start playing someone or something wants my time :) Damn real life not caring I am busy hehe.

No technical comments yet, but the more I play the game, the more I find myself liking it.

I rather LIKE thinking 'oh this is easy' and then getting my butt slapped around by the computer opponent because I was using casual sloppy strategy :)

So far this game is meeting this gamer's needs.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

I certainly find myself being beaten by the game most of the time - but then I'm not very good at it ;).

Looking forward to more comments.

Cheers

Pip

Return to “Battle Academy : Open Beta”