CLASSICAL GREEK

A forum for any questions relating to army design, the army companion books and upcoming lists.

Moderators: hammy, philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

didrobert
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

CLASSICAL GREEK

Post by didrobert »

Hey everybody , i'm painting a greek army and never try it . I think about a all undrilled infantry one with 7 BGs/8 bases arm average , 1 BG/8 bases prot average , 1 Thracian BG MF off.spear prot 8 bases, some poor LF , 1 BG of CV for rear support and 2 TC and 2 ally TC .
I don't trust me so i expect your critics ...
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Hopefully its for fighting other Greeks and such. Otherwise if you fight anybody with any manoeuver they will never go near it frontally. Far too hard.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: CLASSICAL GREEK

Post by ravenflight »

didrobert wrote:Hey everybody , i'm painting a greek army and never try it . I think about a all undrilled infantry one with 7 BGs/8 bases arm average , 1 BG/8 bases prot average , 1 Thracian BG MF off.spear prot 8 bases, some poor LF , 1 BG of CV for rear support and 2 TC and 2 ally TC .
I don't trust me so i expect your critics ...
This is a tough army to do well at.

Undrilled infantry is a dog.

Heavy foot is slow.

It's tough against MANY armies.

Good luck with it, but I think you'd want to try it before you commit too much to painting it up.
eldiablito
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

This is not the optimal design for your list

Post by eldiablito »

Although I seem to be in the minority here, I personally, like the list within the book. I just think that you haven't designed it to handle the plethora of light horse and bow cavalry lists.

To offset all those faster and maneuverable troops, you need to find some of the drilled hoplites to protect your flanks. A buddy of mine takes Spartans to protect his flanks and then uses his generals to give himself rerolls to the front. If you can re-configure your particular list to add some drilled BGs, and try to deploy your army adjacent to a nice set of woods, then you can do fine.

As others have said, try out your list and tweak it a bit before committing to painting all that lead.

Return to “Army Design”