1965 Avalon Hill game, Blitzkrieg

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Hammer4000
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

1965 Avalon Hill game, Blitzkrieg

Post by Hammer4000 »

This was one of Avalon Hill's first tactical military games. I never played, but my father has, Anyway I'm Going about to create it. I have some AV games now like, Guns of August, War & Peace, War at Sea, Titans. I'm sure you guys will enjoy this, most likely a Multiplier map for now.

This map is unique, the game has nothing to do with WW2, but has that feeling in nature anyway. The map features a taste of, all types of environment, river crossings, and perfect defensive positions.

This is my finished product, Things i need done are Victory conditions, unit placement, prestige earnings, ect,ect. I really not good with these, i just like making maps, and small stuff. I could learn i'm sure, its a very easy manual to use, thanks Kerensky on that one. Plus in the Original Blitzkrieg game the two mad up teams were Great Blue and Big Red. Perfect for use of the two German ones(like in training. Or have the Germans & Russians, i don't know yet. The below picture shows the original game board map.

grabbysnatch

Post by grabbysnatch »

sounds and looks great. I remember growing up on Avalon Hill war games long before the advent of computers
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

grabbysnatch wrote:sounds and looks great. I remember growing up on Avalon Hill war games long before the advent of computers
Same here. I still have Panzer Blitz and Gettysburg (I think that was a Avalon Hill). Played those for tons of hours.
miss fumbling around with those little squares.
:D
AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX »

Xerkis wrote:Same here. I still have Panzer Blitz and Gettysburg (I think that was a Avalon Hill). Played those for tons of hours.
Don't forget about those funky dice with some weird shapes (like the 10 sided one). Thank god for the invention of the PC and the random number generator.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

AgentX wrote:
Xerkis wrote:Same here. I still have Panzer Blitz and Gettysburg (I think that was a Avalon Hill). Played those for tons of hours.
Don't forget about those funky dice with some weird shapes (like the 10 sided one). Thank god for the invention of the PC and the random number generator.
Ah yes, and the cat knocking the pieces all over the table and floor because you had to let it sit over night.
:x
Miss those good old days.

But anyhow .... the map here is looking real nice.
:)
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Looks great, are you going to include Big Red's/Blue "allies"?
Hammer4000

Post by Hammer4000 »

Looks great, are you going to include Big Red's/Blue "allies"?
Sorry for a late response, been fairly busy lately & haven't had much time around the pc. Well i never knew there was allies too.....Checking Google Please Hold......

OK after some reading this is what i found, i copy and pasted only the part that involved "allies"

"The player who moves first commands a country named "Great Blue;" the other player commands "Big Red." There are several neutral countries between them whose response to being attacked is simulated in the rules."

I guess by "simulated" there your units, but have there own unique look? If so i not to sure what to use, i guess for game play reasons can just pick some random nationality. If mean i least don't see that as a problem.

----Here's some More need or not-need to know info---About this original board game.

Blitzkrieg was an early strategic-level wargame first published in 1965 by the Avalon Hill Game Company. The game depicted a war between two fictional countries on the map of an imaginary continent. The level of military technology was that of the Second World War.
The game was implemented using cardboard counters to represent military units on a hexagonal field superimposed over the mounted, printed mapboard. Like other Avalon Hill games of the era, two sets of rules were included: a "Basic Game" set with simple mechanics and an "Advanced Game" that included rules for simulating naval and air warfare in addition to land warfare.
The player who moves first commands a country named "Great Blue;" the other player commands "Big Red." There are several neutral countries between them whose response to being attacked is simulated in the rules. The game tries to be more balanced as a game than any real war. It has several fronts differing by terrain type, including a desert and mountains.
The game was in many ways a more sophisticated version of Avalon Hills' original breakthrough strategic wargame, Tactics. It maintained the fictional setting, the 'red' and 'blue' countries, and odds based combat of Tactics while adding greater complexity, including more sophisticated terrain, air combat, and the hexagonal (rather than square) mapboard.

AND MORE

BLITZKRIEG could probably lay claim to being the first “monster” game and took the young hobby by storm back in 1965. It was the first time that a commercial wargame had broken out of the mode of an operational scale portrayal of a specific battle. It was also the first time a commercial wargame had attempted to address all elements of 20th century warfare: land, air, and sea in the same game system. The game also marked the first use of the names of company personnel in a fictional context within the components of the game. Thus, Lake “Pinsky”, and “Zocchi” River, and the Dubs Tributary got their names. One imagines that the Orioles-Dodgers World Series that year also had something to do with the naming of the Great Koufax desert (so named because it was “Sandy”). Although such in-jokes went over the head of most people, the precedent had been set for more successful uses of individual names in the future as any SL enthusiast who has enjoyed shooting down Lt. Greenwood or CPT Shaw will attest. The 1975 revision authored by Dave Roberts made great improvements to both the mechanics of play and the clarity of the rules themselves. Only the rulebook and Attrition Combat Results Table were changed. By that time, however, other grand strategic games with historical themes had put BLITZKRIEG in a secondary role.
Hammer4000

Post by Hammer4000 »

hey Slitherine i just got a debug message pop up? Either way it posted my message twice.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I was thinking more on the lines that say Great Blues "ally", Off White (or whatever LOL) has a small area of cities deep in Big Reds territory, or near the frontier, perhaps a couple cities and airfields and under an allied nation flag so units produced there wouldnt be too powerful, but unique . So, if you used Germany as Great Blue, the Bulgarian flag and units could be used for an Off White ally. Hope that makes sense, cheers!
Hammer4000

Post by Hammer4000 »

I was thinking more on the lines that say Great Blues "ally", Off White (or whatever LOL) has a small area of cities deep in Big Reds territory, or near the frontier, perhaps a couple cities and airfields and under an allied nation flag so units produced there wouldnt be too powerful, but unique . So, if you used Germany as Great Blue, the Bulgarian flag and units could be used for an Off White ally. Hope that makes sense, cheers!
Perfect Sense! That's pretty much, what I've had in mind with the ally problem. I figure if i have to have allies, there just be weaker units on the board to show this. Thanks again
beserko
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by beserko »

Ahh , is that 1st map avaible for download?
WolfgangJack
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Status?

Post by WolfgangJack »

Hey great idea! My brother and I played this game for hours as kids! Showing my age. But regardless, this could be a well balanced game for PC that offered two opponents a chance to squire off in an equal setting. Have you done anything more with this concept since August?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”