The Tank Museum

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

The Tank Museum

Post by bru888 »

The Tank Museum.jpg
The Tank Museum.jpg (255.88 KiB) Viewed 547 times
The Tank Museum in Bovington, England, doesn’t usually rank among the world’s great museums. Located next to a military base in serene countryside, the collection of around 300 armored vehicles attracts only a few hundred thousand visitors a year, mainly families on rained-out beach vacations.

Yet there is one place where it not only ranks among the world’s largest museums, but surpasses them: YouTube.

The Tank Museum’s channel has over 550,000 subscribers — surpassing the Museum of Modern Art (519,000), the Metropolitan Museum of Art (380,000) or the Louvre (106,000).

In April, it announced it was the first museum to get over 100 million views on YouTube, with weekly clips including intensely detailed discussions on tank history, chatty videos of the curators’ favorite war machines and newsier items on how armored vehicles are being used in Ukraine.
Here is the New York Times article from whence that came:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/12/arts ... =url-share

Gift article; available 30 days; does not count toward your allotment of free articles.
- Bru
bru888

Re: The Tank Museum

Post by bru888 »

I can see why their You Tube channel is popular. I watched this video first; it's rather well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEsamU1 ... TankMuseum

Image2403.jpg
Image2403.jpg (217.57 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Image2401.jpg
Image2401.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 543 times
Image2402.jpg
Image2402.jpg (121.54 KiB) Viewed 543 times
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I visited this museum a few years back along with the naval museum in Portsmouth (?) and an aerial museum (somewhere...).
The British are very good at keeping their history alive.
StuccoFresco
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by StuccoFresco »

Yeah their channel is very good.
canuckgamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by canuckgamer »

I visited the tank museum at Bovington and HMS Victory at Portshmouth many years ago and was planning to return to both this spring when I was in UK. However I wasn't able to fit them in but did get to the air museum at Duxford which I believe is what Erik 2 is referring to. Also went to Bletchley Park. I could spend weeks in the UK, Scotland and Ireland and not see everything I want.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”